HF VOLMET

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
Post Reply
gerald123
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 363
Joined: 12 Feb 2009, 00:05

HF VOLMET

Post by gerald123 » 06 Feb 2018, 19:18

i have just moved house and put a 60 ft long wire from house to bottom of garden....wire is going from east to west...just like it was before i moved....i did used to pick up ametures , and air band , volmets but canot hear anything ...i know there canot be mutch wrong because i can pick up the shortwave radio stations on am.....can someone tell me what volmets are easy to pick up so that i can test the radio on[ usb lsb ] please can you tell me what most shortwave listiners tune into.....

User avatar
Ur5by9
Regular
Regular
Posts: 61
Joined: 20 Jul 2015, 21:57

Re: HF VOLMET

Post by Ur5by9 » 06 Feb 2018, 19:35

Bit of activity on 40m amateur band tonight 7.130 sideband Moscow and Russia with some big signals

gerald123
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 363
Joined: 12 Feb 2009, 00:05

Re: HF VOLMET

Post by gerald123 » 06 Feb 2018, 20:31

Ur5by9 wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 19:35
Bit of activity on 40m amateur band tonight 7.130 sideband Moscow and Russia with some big signals
thanks for that ....i am picking them up but with a lot of noise could be the wire i have got up it is only tempary ...

bigbassman
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Posts: 515
Joined: 15 Jan 2008, 16:13
Location: Downpatrick,N.Ireland

Re: HF VOLMET

Post by bigbassman » 07 Feb 2018, 09:21

Easiest one is RAF Volmet on 5450khz or Shannon Volmet 5505khz,although this one has been a bit sporadic lately.
1 X PRO 2006 1 X DX-394 1 X GRE PSR 282 1 X UBC780XLT with ProScan 1 X Pro43 2 X Uniden UBC9000XLT Tristar777 LCL 2740.

User avatar
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1991
Joined: 01 Jun 2004, 09:00
Location: Cheshire
Contact:

Re: HF VOLMET

Post by Andy » 07 Feb 2018, 13:59

Could be a new noise source nearby. I've just got a new one popped up that puts a picket-fence of spikes from about 250 KHz to 400 KHz. It only comes on at night but it's still a !£$%^&*£$! pain.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.

gerald123
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 363
Joined: 12 Feb 2009, 00:05

Re: HF VOLMET

Post by gerald123 » 09 Feb 2018, 10:49

this is a bl-.,,dy night mare picking up RAF Volmet on 5450khz but with a lot off interferance.....the only thing i can pick up to listen to with some good audio are the am frequencies. verry flustrating...

User avatar
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1991
Joined: 01 Jun 2004, 09:00
Location: Cheshire
Contact:

Re: HF VOLMET

Post by Andy » 09 Feb 2018, 10:55

Make a loop aerial, Gerald. When I changed from wires to a Wellbrook loop, most of my noise problems vanished.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.

gerald123
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 363
Joined: 12 Feb 2009, 00:05

Re: HF VOLMET

Post by gerald123 » 09 Feb 2018, 22:07

Andy wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 10:55
Make a loop aerial, Gerald. When I changed from wires to a Wellbrook loop, most of my noise problems vanished.
do you know the dimentions to make one please.

User avatar
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1991
Joined: 01 Jun 2004, 09:00
Location: Cheshire
Contact:

Re: HF VOLMET

Post by Andy » 10 Feb 2018, 00:34

gerald123 wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 22:07
Andy wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 10:55
Make a loop aerial, Gerald. When I changed from wires to a Wellbrook loop, most of my noise problems vanished.
do you know the dimentions to make one please.
It's not critical, about 1m dia will do. A single turn with the ends connected to a simple PA1M-type amplifier and you are away. Mount it well away from the house and rotate it for minimum noise.

http://www.pa1m.nl/pa1m/simple-active-receive-loop/
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.

gerald123
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 363
Joined: 12 Feb 2009, 00:05

Re: HF VOLMET

Post by gerald123 » 11 Feb 2018, 14:12

Andy wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 00:34
gerald123 wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 22:07
Andy wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 10:55
Make a loop aerial, Gerald. When I changed from wires to a Wellbrook loop, most of my noise problems vanished.
do you know the dimentions to make one please.
It's not critical, about 1m dia will do. A single turn with the ends connected to a simple PA1M-type amplifier and you are away. Mount it well away from the house and rotate it for minimum noise.

http://www.pa1m.nl/pa1m/simple-active-receive-loop/
thanks for that Andy ...and the link. will have a go at making the loop .and let you know how it does.

canuck777
Regular
Regular
Posts: 30
Joined: 27 Sep 2015, 18:57
Call Sign: 2e1mha
Location: Worcester city.
Contact:

Re: HF VOLMET

Post by canuck777 » 14 Jun 2018, 13:42

gerald123 wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 19:18
i have just moved house and put a 60 ft long wire from house to bottom of garden....wire is going from east to west...just like it was before i moved....i did used to pick up ametures , and air band , volmets but canot hear anything ...i know there canot be mutch wrong because i can pick up the shortwave radio stations on am.....can someone tell me what volmets are easy to pick up so that i can test the radio on[ usb lsb ] please can you tell me what most shortwave listiners tune into.....
[/quotE

I have most of the HF volmet freqencies programmed into my portable HF reciever. i can't tell you exact freqencies [bad memory to to age] but they're all online, google it. i can tell you Gander In Canada comes across very well here in the uk from like 12am till 6am. around 6.628usb. also around 4mhz. shanwick in ireland booms across around 5.4mhz most days. with a 60 foot wire you should do reasonable well assuming you "noise" floor is'nt to high.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests