Best receiver?

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
User avatar
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Posts: 922
Joined: 02 Jan 2010, 21:26
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Best receiver?

Post by Gemini4 » 14 Aug 2016, 12:12

would an out door antenna overload this 660 radio? :?

User avatar
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Posts: 10000
Joined: 08 Mar 2011, 21:20
Call Sign: 26TM157
Location: MK-UK

Re: Best receiver?

Post by Admiral » 14 Aug 2016, 12:31

Gemini4 wrote:would an out door antenna overload this 660 radio? :?
Only the strong stations, an outdoor antenna is a great idea, I just use a length of wire with a croc-clip on the end to snap onto the telescopic and chuck the wire out of the hotel window.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition

User avatar
Clipper
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 186
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 23:40
Location: Lancashire

Re: Best receiver?

Post by Clipper » 15 Aug 2016, 07:22

Gemini4 wrote:would an out door antenna overload this 660 radio? :?
The 660 has a built in attenuator to help counter this.

User avatar
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Posts: 922
Joined: 02 Jan 2010, 21:26
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Best receiver?

Post by Gemini4 » 15 Aug 2016, 13:41

thanks guys..i'll get on with putting one up :thumbup:

User avatar
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Posts: 10000
Joined: 08 Mar 2011, 21:20
Call Sign: 26TM157
Location: MK-UK

Re: Best receiver?

Post by Admiral » 15 Aug 2016, 13:52

Have you noticed the price of these going up recently?

They were as low as thirty quid at one point of market saturation, average price now is £99.99.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition

RACAL
Regular
Regular
Posts: 7
Joined: 11 Aug 2016, 19:46
Location: GLASGOW!!! YESSS!

Re: Best receiver?

Post by RACAL » 16 Aug 2016, 18:42

Hi Guys!

I have almost more than 25 years on Hf receivers ! Please forget cheap stuff like HF3 or Eton etc...if you want the best go for professional
My best Hf receiver was a British Racal 1772 ! I had also a Racal 1792 and now I own a Racal 3701 all stock coming from MOD.
Only with this grade Pro hf receivers you can do the best! again forget all above! again another good option can be SDR receivers like ELAD FDM2 or the glorious Perseus!!!! Fantastic! both! Please never buy RTL cheap dongle!!! they are just crap!

Any questions , please free to ask! I don't bite........yet! ;-)

73

CLaudio ( Glasgow )

User avatar
Clipper
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 186
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 23:40
Location: Lancashire

Re: Best receiver?

Post by Clipper » 17 Aug 2016, 10:56

RACAL wrote:My best Hf receiver was a British Racal 1772 ! I had also a Racal 1792 and now I own a Racal 3701 all stock coming from MOD.
From an MoD surplus website? A link would be appreciated! :thumbup:

User avatar
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Posts: 922
Joined: 02 Jan 2010, 21:26
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Best receiver?

Post by Gemini4 » 17 Aug 2016, 12:28

RACAL wrote:Hi Guys!

I have almost more than 25 years on Hf receivers ! Please forget cheap stuff like HF3 or Eton etc...if you want the best go for professional
My best Hf receiver was a British Racal 1772 ! I had also a Racal 1792 and now I own a Racal 3701 all stock coming from MOD.
Only with this grade Pro hf receivers you can do the best! again forget all above! again another good option can be SDR receivers like ELAD FDM2 or the glorious Perseus!!!! Fantastic! both! Please never buy RTL cheap dongle!!! they are just crap!

Any questions , please free to ask! I don't bite........yet! ;-)

73

CLaudio ( Glasgow )
at an expensive price :thumbdown: ..when all you really need is a portable 660 :thumbup:

RACAL
Regular
Regular
Posts: 7
Joined: 11 Aug 2016, 19:46
Location: GLASGOW!!! YESSS!

Re: Best receiver?

Post by RACAL » 17 Aug 2016, 18:07

Clipper wrote:
RACAL wrote:My best Hf receiver was a British Racal 1772 ! I had also a Racal 1792 and now I own a Racal 3701 all stock coming from MOD.
From an MoD surplus website? A link would be appreciated! :thumbup:
Hi

nowadays will be hard to find some stock available , try Telford Electronics ( check online)

Br

CLAUDIO

User avatar
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Posts: 922
Joined: 02 Jan 2010, 21:26
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Best receiver?

Post by Gemini4 » 17 Aug 2016, 20:14

Admiral wrote:Have you noticed the price of these going up recently?

They were as low as thirty quid at one point of market saturation, average price now is £99.99.
i paid £90.00..when if i'd have made my mind up earlier it would probably have been £59.00 {bnghd}

User avatar
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Posts: 922
Joined: 02 Jan 2010, 21:26
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Best receiver?

Post by Gemini4 » 22 Aug 2016, 19:54

tecsun 660...For some reason my light has stopped remain on all the time?
and can someone explain to me the orange marking on the keyboard and how to operate them.

User avatar
Clipper
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 186
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 23:40
Location: Lancashire

Re: Best receiver?

Post by Clipper » 30 Aug 2016, 10:50

Gemini4 wrote:tecsun 660...For some reason my light has stopped remain on all the time?
and can someone explain to me the orange marking on the keyboard and how to operate them.
The orange functions are accessible when the radio is off (in standby/clock mode). Press them for a second or two until the display flashes, then alter parameters by quickly pressing then same button.

User avatar
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Posts: 922
Joined: 02 Jan 2010, 21:26
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Best receiver?

Post by Gemini4 » 30 Aug 2016, 14:37

light back on and thanks for the info clipper :clap:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests