Best receiver?

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Best receiver?

Post by Farty »

Must agree with the rear Admiral. They're decent, but nowhere near worth that. You'll get equally good with far more features for less than 2/3 the price from the likes of Tecsun.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Gemini4 »

Everytime I look up tecsun I see bad reviews of them packing up or over heating in the battery compartment.Which one was you thinking about? 660 or the latest?
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

I got a 600 and a 660. I keep the 660 at work in my grab bag in case I get sent away at short notice, so it hasn't been used a great deal. The 600 I use at hone quite a lot, had it since 2011, quietly impressed. It's at least as good as my Nasa Marine for most listening, though the Nasa is better for MW. The main advantage of the Nasa is its simplicity, which is ideal deal for its primary target market of yachtsmen, it's quite sensitive too, but the selectively and rejection of both my Tecsuns are better, which is the name of the game when you're desperately hang on to that distant signal while you wait for the station ident.

The reviews are generally positive...

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7627

I run mine off batteries which eliminates and chance of psu related QRM. It comes supplied with batteries and charger/mains adaptor, through a Watson active antenna in the loft. Don't get me wrong, it ain't no Racal or Telefunken, but I've yet to fine anything that betters it overall for south of £200 New, and if I'm in the mood for some SWL action it tends to be the one I reach for.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

I just got an Eton (or insert another name on a sticker) G3 traveler from a TM1 member for a few quid for my hotel stays as my Realistic DX440 has that horrible 'chuffing' and it drives me bonkers. The G3 is a surprisingly sensitive little set, I'm very pleased with it, and I don't think my Lowe/Target/Nasa set performs much better, and as an added bonus the G3 has civ/air in near genuine AM too.

So although I don't own a 660, I would suggest it is at least as good as its little G3 brother, and probably better, so personally I would buy a 660 over a Nasa/Target/Lowe set.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Gemini4 »

I've just been reading reviews on the 660 and apparently you can use it on the mains as well as rechargeable batteries. Saying that I'm impressed by the price along side the 880 which has virtually the same uses as the 660 except no airband and its a usb charging system for well over £160 againts £80.So may plump for the 660.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tecsun-PL660- ... XQPatTIraA
mountainpenguin
Regular
Regular

Post by mountainpenguin »

Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Gemini4 »

Having a bit of a problem here,seems the link I put in shows the tecsun pll660 with a euro adapter? I've pressed the contact us details and it doesn't work..bit dubious about it now.
anyone know who's selling one brand new with uk plug.
dcwuk
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by dcwuk »

At a guess I would say the all come with the euro plug, just get an adaptor and you will be fine.
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
I'm commenting on an internet forum, why should your facts sway my opinion?
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Gemini4 »

I have this if its suitable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Gemini4 »

Uk lightzone on ebay say they cannot now supply one,so I'm back to square one again. :(
Re-ordered again..see if this supplier can do the job.The radio seems to be very elusive.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

You picked the wrong time to get a 660, they were in a fire sale about 8 months ago and went down to the ridiculous price of £39.99 (they may have even gone lower than that briefly), they're now steadily creeping closer to the £100 mark again.

Most of the vendors chuck in a suitable AC adapter with a new set.
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Gemini4 »

I've tried another seller but it seems they're as rare rocking horse **** lol..wonder why they've increased in price..maybe they're a better
radio than the new 880..well better price anyway..£80 cheaper on some sites.
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Gemini4 »

Second order canceled..beginning to wonder whats going on here {bnghd} :o
They say they can't supply...I'll leave ebay alone I think :lol:
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

I can't offer my Lowe for sale as it has an issue with the PSU socket, it needs to be held slightly to one side to get the juice, it either needs a blob of solder or the socket de-soldering and replacing properly and resoldering, I can't be arsed to do it as the thing doesn't get used.
owza
Call Sign: M0

Post by owza »

You can have my NASA HF3 get in touch :)