6.650mhz

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Re: 6.650mhz

Post by MrWeetabix »

Whilst Echo Charlie is a part of 'some' people's radio hobby, it is also one of the darker sides of the hobby. Albeit just-as-illegal as pirating on 27.555, the impact of trespassing on those bands has the real-world potential to impact on aircraft safety, resulting in a more-rigorous enforcement of the band from OFCOM where possible. It is a contentious band amongst hobbyists, so I can see why Admiral has some 'cake-based' issues there.

TM1 accepts that some members may choose to use EC, but we do not encourage or condone it here on TM1. We also prefer that if you do operate there, that you not discuss these operations on TM1. This is both to protect members from incriminating themselves and also to prevent unwanted scrutiny from the powers that be.

Anyone wishing to explore this topic in more detail, should pop on over to FB, where there is a community dedicated to it's operation, as well as guides to etiquette and accepted norms.

http://www.freebanding.co.uk/echo_charlie.htm
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Tbh on FB forums an groups anything goes... best left where it is
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Weetabix has gone all PC, but he makes a good point.

Personally, I have a ticket, it wasn't earned, I had some friends a long time ago, I'm an SWL at heart, and like a bit of 11m for the seat of your pants ride, but if you're sad enough to trawl old posts, you will see that I have an issue with ECs.

They operate too near to sensitive frequencies for my liking, and there is absolutely no need. If you wish to pirate, then invent a callsign and pirate on the ham bands, or go a bit up or down on them.

ECs have degenerated, and currently disrespect the original ethos of the group, they play music, whistle, and swear, it's a very sad reflection of the group founders who would turn in their graves if they could hear the current crop of morons.

They are not big, they are not clever, in fact they are stupid and reckless.

And especially you ChrisCSL as no doubt you're reading this.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Kaos
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Kaos »

Admiral wrote:
Radioshane wrote:what does ec stand for?
European C***s
I agree. Dam Brits
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

LeakyFeeder wrote:Tbh on FB forums an groups anything goes... best left where it is
I meant Fox Bravo website, not Facebook. :D
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

It doesn't take a special person to purchase a wideband HF set and a beam and shack warmer, it does take a special person to be a responsible HF user.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

well there are certainly plenty of special people round here! :lol:
Radioshane
Call Sign: Shanesradio

Post by Radioshane »

would you need a outside antenna?
and could you pick up atlantic aviation and marine on hf?
neil-c
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by neil-c »

Easily, I have been out of the hobby for while but I use a Funcube pro+ dongle with a simple Longwire antenna streching from my bedroom to the garden shed.
It brings in very good results.
Realistic pro2006, realistic pro2042, Yupiteru 7100, Fairmate HP2000, Degen 1103, ubc3500xlt, Micro-Adsb, Funcube Pro+
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

Admiral wrote:ECs have degenerated, and currently disrespect the original ethos of the group, they play music, whistle, and swear, it's a very sad reflection of the group founders who would turn in their graves if they could hear the current crop of morons.
Exactly mate,well said,thats all i ever hear now-a-days when i have listened on there on the odd occasion,cb retards but on a different wavelength.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Without wanting to stick up for the ECs in any way, I can't help but think that the dangers they pose to commercial aviation are being overstated somewhat...

HF comms are unreliable by their very nature and aviation users have to take this into account, having alternatives when the primary frequency they are using is no good whatever reason.

HF is also only used when aircraft are a looooooong way from airports, so it's not like they are using this for comms during critical flight phases.

Like I said, not trying to mount a defence for them but I don't really see how a bit of ooolaaaa coca coooooolaaaaaaa is going to cause any more problems than a spot of atmospheric disturbance or some freak prop bringing in another booming signal from afar.
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 108TM154

Post by gmham »

Have to say I kinda agree on the above post there are spot freqs that most EC guys know to avoid and you do know just how long there has been EC activity within Europe.. a heck off a long time - 40 / 50 + years ? its certainly not a new freq being used within the last few years ??!! also yet to read in all my years off cb / ham radio one instance off an EC contact putting a plane in danger.
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

Moxon antenna for 10/20 mtrs

——
John - 108TM154 / 108CO154
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

As a level headed person I can't disagree with the above either, my dislike is based on principle rather than reality.

If aeroplanes were falling out of the sky due to ECs then they would all be in prison now. But they have a 'big fish, small pond' mentality, operating legally on the Ham bands would be far too much of a step down, although I suspect some if not many of them have a ticket as well.

There are a zillion analogies I could mention to get a point over about doing something illegal that doesn't hurt anyone, but I will resist.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

I have redacted personal information as it is a long time ago now and the individual may well have gone straight and now be a model radio operator, so trawling up history could be unfair, but it's on the web in its unaltered form. And yes, the 1949 Act was superseded in 2006.

"22.02.2002

**** ****, 35, of ******* ***** was convicted of illegal installation and use of radio transmitting equipment at Blackpool Magistrates' Court on 20 February 2002. He was given a 12 months conditional discharge, and ordered to pay £250 costs.

Mr ***** pleaded guilty to offences under section 1(1) of the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949, and was also ordered to forfeit all equipment seized from his home address.

During November last year officers employed by the Radiocommunications Agency executed a search warrant at Mr ******' home address during their investigations into unlicensed transmissions within the 6.6MHz frequency band, which is reserved for aeronautical services.

On entering the premises they found radio transmitting equipment and other items which were set up to operate on the 6.6 MHz frequency band. The owner of the equipment was identified as **** ***** and all the equipment was seized as evidence.

Mr ***** was interviewed and admitted to the officers that he had transmitted on 6.6 MHz band, and did not hold any Wireless Telegraphy Act Licence.

Under Section 1.1 of the 1949 Wireless Telegraphy Act it is an offence to install or operate a wireless telegraphy station without an appropriate licence."
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

Back in my CB days, I was told that one respectable old breaker had been done for operating around 6mhz. I didn't realise at the time that he was likely an EC.

Getting busted clipped him down to CB but he was studying for his ticket.