Realistic DX440

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Realistic DX440

Post by Admiral »

Great, so after a few months of trying to purchase a portable HF set for hotel room use, I ended up with a compromise in the form of a Yupi 7100.

So, after digging in the garage today for a bag of fuses (that I still haven't found), lo and behold, I find my old Realistic DX440 from about 1990 that I completely forgot I had (idiot).

Anyway, fired up and all works as it should, but the bloody chuff, chuff, chuffing of the 'VFO' is unreal, how I used to use it I don't know (maybe that's why it ended up in the garage?).

It seems to be a clone of a Sangean 803a and a Matsui knocked out by Dixons/Currys.

There are so many conflicting bits of information on the web about the 'anti-chuffing' mod.

Could someone please either explain, or point me to the right place for the mod, as the chuffing is chuffing awful on this thing.

Thanks in advance.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
bigbassman
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Realistic DX440

Post by bigbassman »

Have a look here.There are a number of things covered,'chuffing' included.They're aimed at the Sangean 803 http://www.jazzkeyboard.com/jilly/jilly ... /#chuffing ,but as you say,its virtually the same radio.HTH.
2 X PRO 2006 1 X DX-394 1 X GRE PSR 282 1 X UBC780XLT with ProScan 1 X Pro43 1 X Yaesu FRG 100 Uniden 125 XLT LCL 2740.
Andy-in-NL
Call Sign: 9TC02

Post by Andy-in-NL »

I received a Saisho SW5000 from the Legendary "TheCobraMan" which is ths sameas the Realistic DX440. The chuffing is tolerable inmyopinionbut ifIweretodo themodI think I would also apply a switch to allow the mod to be switched back to original status.This radio makes for a great mobile in field use.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

I never did get rid of the chuffing, it now sits in the kitchen permanently tuned to BBC Radio 4 VHF so I can listen to the news in the morning.

A sad and undignified end to a once very useful and good radio.

Hopefully there will be an opportunity to donate it to a young SWL to cut their teeth in radio and give the thing a new lease of life, although sadly it won't be any of my internet kids.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition