Next step up after Funcube pro+

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
Warden
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM612

Next step up after Funcube pro+

Post by Warden »

I am looking at upgrading to something that has wider sampling bandwidth. Any recommendations as to what to get. Anyone used a Elad FDM-S2 SDR Receiver. ?
26-TM-612

No one rules if no one obeys.

Winner of the amazing In before the lock game 09/09/14 :)
26TM944
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM944

Re: Next step up after Funcube pro+

Post by 26TM944 »

For just what part of the spectrum? LF - HF and upto 6m you cannot beat the Perseus - but the Winradio range are very good too - not as good as the Perseus but they are very good for most peoples needs.

There are other SDRs about - but some have limited support and don't expand very well - QS1R owners will know that well :-)

Steve
26-TM-944
  • A rig, twig & burner.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Once you've outgrown the Funcube it becomes a question of performance rather than price.

I can second the Microtelecom Perseus as an excellent performer, especially in a pile up.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
tomos

Post by tomos »

I would go winradio. in sensitivity there is nothing in it, though I do prefer the winradio software suite above the Perseus, also the winradio VAC direct from the software works well for decoding software, and the DRM is also good. (Download the demos of both and see what you think). If you are looking at recording the spectrum is also excels. Google reviews on excaliber vs perseus , I think in the end it comes down to personal preference. You can't rearly go wrong with either , both are fantastic receivers :)

That said, look at the cross county wireless SDR4+ a fantastic receiver! Maybe a logical next step in price and performance with good software support in HDSDR etc, they also do some dam fine antennas, unlike the Funcube pro plus the CCW, Excaliber and Perseus receivers do mot cover VHF, though CCW do have a wide band model in the pipe line
acl777

Post by acl777 »

I use the Elad fdm s2. It would be a good investment. Check out Mark Borthwicks (Scottish Dxer) blog and YouTube videos before splashing the extra cash on a Perseus as he rates it more highly.
Warden
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Warden »

acl777 wrote:I use the Elad fdm s2. It would be a good investment. Check out Mark Borthwicks (Scottish Dxer) blog and YouTube videos before splashing the extra cash on a Perseus as he rates it more highly.
That's what swung it for me. He went from the Perseus to the FDM-2 and says it picks up stuff the Perseus didn't. Mine arrives tomorrow. :D
26-TM-612

acl777

Post by acl777 »

How are you finding it? I struggled with the set up but after clicking on everything in sight eventually downloaded the drivers. The only problem is that my Wellbrook
overloads it.
Warden
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Warden »

acl777 wrote:How are you finding it? I struggled with the set up but after clicking on everything in sight eventually downloaded the drivers. The only problem is that my Wellbrook
overloads it.
Installing it was easy. First tried my cb antenna and it seems great on every band. But i have just connected it to a Gwhip widebander and can't pick up anything apart from broadcast stations.
It's saying ADC Clip at the top as soon as i connect it to the widebander antenna. It's as though they don't need a decent antenna. :?:
Have tried every setting but cannot stop it saying ADC Clip or pick anything up.
26-TM-612

acl777

Post by acl777 »

Have you posted on Elad yahoo groups? They might be able to help you on there.
Warden
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Warden »

I have been trying SDRconsole as this works with both my sdr's but at the moment the Funcube pro is blowing the FDM-S2 out of the water. Using the Gwhip widebander the Funcube is full of hams on 40 meters and no sign of broadcast stations, on the FDM-S2 i can only see a few hams and loads of ghost broadcast stations. ?
I am now wondering if to send the FDM back as it's not performing anywhere like what i thought it would compared to the Funcube.

Funcube Pro without attenuation.
screen_2014-09-26 11.11.20.jpg
FDM-S2 without attenuation.
screen_2014-09-26 11.17.12.jpg
FDM-S2 with attenuation.
screen_2014-09-26 11.16.45.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
26-TM-612

26TM944
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 26TM944 »

Hi,

The FDM-S2 has a fairly low (high?) ADC clip level of -8dBm you might need a front end filter board or pre-selector in front of it to stop a wideband antenna with high signal levels blowing it away on the lower bands especially at night. (Owners of HF1000s and WJ8711s without the pre-selector option in Europe will know all about this!) Could you have a strong MW station nearby?

From some old wideband SDR notes:

The pre-selector narrows the RF bandwidth presented to the ADC.

In wideband mode, e.g. for spectral analysis of entire HF range, the pre-selector is bypassed. This degrades IMD3 dynamic range by 3 dB, with a 2 dB improvement in MDS.
IMD2 dynamic range is degraded in wideband mode. This is significant in areas (e.g. Europe) where HF broadcasters can drop IMD products into amateur bands.

However as you say it could be faulty; a lot of people seem to have no issues with overload - but then again I do not think they are in Europe where we have massive signals on 5Mhz and 7Mhz at night.

Try attenuating the signal at the antenna and see how you get on.

73 Steve
26-TM-944
  • A rig, twig & burner.
26TM944
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 26TM944 »

Hi,

The FDM-S2 has a fairly low (high?) ADC clip level of -8dBm you might need a front end filter board or pre-selector in front of it to stop a wideband antenna with high signal levels blowing it away on the lower bands especially at night. (Owners of HF1000s and WJ8711s without the pre-selector option in Europe will know all about this!) Could you have a strong MW station nearby?

From some old wideband SDR notes:

The pre-selector narrows the RF bandwidth presented to the ADC.

In wideband mode, e.g. for spectral analysis of entire HF range, the pre-selector is bypassed. This degrades IMD3 dynamic range by 3 dB, with a 2 dB improvement in MDS.
IMD2 dynamic range is degraded in wideband mode. This is significant in areas (e.g. Europe) where HF broadcasters can drop IMD products into amateur bands.

However as you say it could be faulty; a lot of people seem to have no issues with overload - but then again I do not think they are in Europe where we have massive signals on 5Mhz and 7Mhz at night.

Try attenuating the signal at the antenna and see how you get on.

73 Steve
26-TM-944
  • A rig, twig & burner.
Warden
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Warden »

Just been doing a bit of searching as there are two masts at one site i can see from my house. Apparently it's pumping out 200KW :o

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/moorsideedgetx.html

The other site is called Vicars lot, but looks like it's under 1KW
26-TM-612

Warden
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Warden »

My problems with the FDM-S2 have been sorted. It was a faulty so239 to bnc connector is was using. It's now working well. :D
26-TM-612