CQ AM?

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

CQ AM?

Post by Gemini4 »

listening to 40mtrs this morning and i heard someone calling cq cq cq am?
never before have i heard this, and i did have to switched from lsb to am to hear his call, i thought it was
strange for him not to call in the lsb mode.
26TM944
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM944

Re: CQ AM?

Post by 26TM944 »

There are several people on 40m AM - there is a couple of guys in Wales that appear in the afternoons. There is a 60m net that is AM as well and all the US stuff on 10m that's in that mode around 29.000 +/-.

But if 40m is not packed call on AM towards the upper end - you may be surprised how many come back to you. An oft forgotten mode that sound really nice on well set up equipment.

Steve
26-TM-944
  • A rig, twig & burner.
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Gemini4 »

well i actually thought i'd strayed into the radio section as it was high up the band, but after listen for a
few minutes and as i tuned into the right mode it became clearer, got to admit that.
i personally haven't heard it before like that. but thanks for the explanation :)
Lumiya

Post by Lumiya »

AM = air mobile, not allowed in the UK but perfectly OK in a lot of other countries, the person in question was probably a G7 who regularly flies across the EU using various country prefixes dependant on who's airspace he's in.

If though it was a reference to mode then please note that before SSB AM was the main mode and is still used. The LSB/USB modes are preferences and not rules.
CB since '85
AR since '91
Ex-RAF

If you get just a YES or NO answer it will mean either you should already know the answer or you have proved yourself incapable of understanding the answer. Also if you think I need to explain what I type then perhaps you should realise your own limitations
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 »

Gemini4 wrote:well i actually thought i'd strayed into the radio section as it was high up the band, but after listen for a
few minutes and as i tuned into the right mode it became clearer, got to admit that.
i personally haven't heard it before like that. but thanks for the explanation :)
:D Welcome to the wonderful world of AM on hf .I have worked quite a few AM dx stations over the past couple of days on 29mhz AM but 40m AM is not that uncommon ........try around 7.190 on a Sunday morning ;)
Its becoming progressively more popular due to the amount of people with vintage transceivers and the fact its a little bit easier for experimenters to build AM transceivers

:) Some of the signals are broadcast quality and there was a guy using 25watts from Boston on 29mhz yesterday..... he was booming into the UK .Other people in the US are using converted CB transceivers especially the old 23 channel type because the convention on AM is 10khz spacing from 29mhz upwards so for eg ch 1 =29010 ch 2 =29020 ch3 =29030 etc .....might be a good use for one of those vintage American base units you can sometimes find on the auction sites over here
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Lumiya wrote: The LSB/USB modes are preferences and not rules.
Telegraphy on AM is not ideal.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition