MW Dx

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
acl777

MW Dx

Post by acl777 »

I know this isn't HF ( didnt know where else to post it )but does or has anybody Dxed this band. I know transatlantic Dx is possible from the US and Canada but has anyone Dxed central or south America ? MW Dx seems like a great winter past time but I'd like to get more than just high powered European stations. I've just bought a Sony 7600gr so really want to push it to its limits.

Sorry, should have been posted in tv and radio Dx section.
marcusabacus

Re: MW Dx

Post by marcusabacus »

Won't get a great deal from the US , European stations usually blot stations out because they run higher power.

You may need a loop antenna to reject unwanted signals but tbh on a £100 budget receiver like the Sony it would be hardly worth it unless you make your own..

I had one and picked up very little on MW as there was too much noise from adjacent stations but was good on SW but... it is a portable so don't expect miracles.

BTW , don't use the supplied power adaptor as it introduces noise into the set and you will get harmonics...

From the web...

THE AC ADAPTER

Unfortunately we have to give the SONY AC-E60HG AC adapter a poor grade. As we discovered with a number of other portable radios, the adapter is apparently a switching supply that either induces noise into the receiver or lets noise from the house wiring pass through to the receiver. The end effect is that weaker signals are masked – until the cord is unplugged and moved away from the radio. This effect is mostly noticed during the day when there are less SW stations, with weaker signals, to listen to.

No matter who is the manufacturer, we wish such adapters would have power line filters included within the unit.

In our situation with the very local 640 kHz MW station, attaching the adapter also brought in the second harmonic on 1280 kHz. We also checked for the third harmonic on 1920 kHz; that was not heard. Reverting to the batteries, the harmonic disappeared. We can only assume the unshielded house wiring acts an antenna. Your mileage may vary.

For extended listening we still recommend getting an adapter or a DC plug to run the radio off a regulated power supply. If the reception of a station is questionable, just remember to unplug the adapter before giving up trying to listen to the program.
Waak Waak

Signal R-537S
Baofeng UV-5R
Baofeng GT-3
Yaesu VR160
Uniden Bearcat BCT15X
Tecsun PL365
Sony ICF-5500M
Commradio CR1A
Whistler TRX-2
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Commtel COM207
Nasa HF3
Kenwood R600
Yaesu FRG7
SCOTTISHDXER
Regular
Regular

Post by SCOTTISHDXER »

Hi

MW DX is an excellent part of the radio hobby, and to answer your question yes it is possible to DX stations from South America.....there are several DXers in the UK that have received such stations with very modest equipment\antennas some of the antennas are even indoors

Here is my reception of Radio Diagonal Argentina on 1630khz 7023 miles received a few days ago in Southern Scotland http://youtu.be/kaRIrbfvI3Y

I was using a Perseus SDR and 100m Beverage, but you can DX with more modest equipment for North America I use an antenna called a KAZ and this type of antenna will fit in an average garden it does help of course if you can have the feed point looking at North America.

If you have no room out doors for an antenna you can use an antenna called a Flag and this should fit in a loft ok...there is a DXer here in Scotland that gets excellent results with his indoor flag antenna. There is of course a loop antenna with the figure of 8 pattern but this can still bring in the Europeans and the aim is to null these stations and hopefully leave the frequency clear for DX

The important thing with MW DXing is the time at which you listen for example the last week or so from about 2030gmt I have several North American stations coming in on my KAZ and by 2300gmt the signals are pretty strong....the traditional DXing time is the dawn peak just before or around sunrise signals if conditions are good can be at local levels with arm chair copy see my receptions here of some of the regular stations http://youtu.be/0UAYsdvD4Lg

I have even received North American stations on portable radios using only its internal ferrite bar...yes its difficult and the signal is not always so strong but the point is you can still DX them...some good radios are the Sangean ATS909, Eton E5, Tecsun 660 I have had success with all three.

Give it a go and stick with it try at night around 2300 with your portable on 1130khz and position the radio so the ferrite bar is picking up stations from the direction of North America and hopefully you should hear WBBR from New york probably one of the easiest stations to receive. Or try around about your sunrise just before preferably.

Cheers Mark
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

And in my experience a lot of the MW broadcast stations still send QSL cards in response to reception reports ;)
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
G0TVJ
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G0TVJ

Post by G0TVJ »

When I first started playing with radios (which was over 40 years ago :o - dunno where that all went :( ) it was easier. All you had to do was wait until about 2 o'clock in the morning. By then most of the European broadcasters had closed down and it wasn't too difficult to hear some of the stronger US stations, even on a cheap MW portable.

Now everything is 24/7 so it really is quite a challenge and all the other nonsense like PLT, switch-mode power supplies, computers etc. etc. etc. certainly doesn't help :(.

Neil
Neil
SKCC #9547
FISTS #15918

JO01bu
TL42
acl777

Post by acl777 »

SCOTTISHDXER wrote:Hi

MW DX is an excellent part of the radio hobby, and to answer your question yes it is possible to DX stations from South America.....there are several DXers in the UK that have received such stations with very modest equipment\antennas some of the antennas are even indoors

Here is my reception of Radio Diagonal Argentina on 1630khz 7023 miles received a few days ago in Southern Scotland http://youtu.be/kaRIrbfvI3Y

I was using a Perseus SDR and 100m Beverage, but you can DX with more modest equipment for North America I use an antenna called a KAZ and this type of antenna will fit in an average garden it does help of course if you can have the feed point looking at North America.

If you have no room out doors for an antenna you can use an antenna called a Flag and this should fit in a loft ok...there is a DXer here in Scotland that gets excellent results with his indoor flag antenna. There is of course a loop antenna with the figure of 8 pattern but this can still bring in the Europeans and the aim is to null these stations and hopefully leave the frequency clear for DX

The important thing with MW DXing is the time at which you listen for example the last week or so from about 2030gmt I have several North American stations coming in on my KAZ and by 2300gmt the signals are pretty strong....the traditional DXing time is the dawn peak just before or around sunrise signals if conditions are good can be at local levels with arm chair copy see my receptions here of some of the regular stations http://youtu.be/0UAYsdvD4Lg

I have even received North American stations on portable radios using only its internal ferrite bar...yes its difficult and the signal is not always so strong but the point is you can still DX them...some good radios are the Sangean ATS909, Eton E5, Tecsun 660 I have had success with all three.

Give it a go and stick with it try at night around 2300 with your portable on 1130khz and position the radio so the ferrite bar is picking up stations from the direction of North America and hopefully you should hear WBBR from New york probably one of the easiest stations to receive. Or try around about your sunrise just before preferably.

Cheers Mark
Checked out your video and it looks like you are using a serious piece of kit. What time did you receive this Dx ? Is it just a case of waiting for a path of darkness between the Tx and the RX or is the timing issue more complicated? I live in a small steel framed flat but still hope to get some Dx on my Sony espeacially on the balcony. Cheers
acl777

Post by acl777 »

Neil_M wrote:When I first started playing with radios (which was over 40 years ago :o - dunno where that all went :( ) it was easier. All you had to do was wait until about 2 o'clock in the morning. By then most of the European broadcasters had closed down and it wasn't too difficult to hear some of the stronger US stations, even on a cheap MW portable.

Now everything is 24/7 so it really is quite a challenge and all the other nonsense like PLT, switch-mode power supplies, computers etc. etc. etc. certainly doesn't help :(.

Neil
If only things weren't 24 hrs dxing would be so much more interesting. I remember as a kid in the 80s radio Norfolk used to close down in the evening.
acl777

Post by acl777 »

marcusabacus wrote:Won't get a great deal from the US , European stations usually blot stations out because they run higher power.

You may need a loop antenna to reject unwanted signals but tbh on a £100 budget receiver like the Sony it would be hardly worth it unless you make your own..

I had one and picked up very little on MW as there was too much noise from adjacent stations but was good on SW but... it is a portable so don't expect miracles.

BTW , don't use the supplied power adaptor as it introduces noise into the set and you will get harmonics...

From the web...

THE AC ADAPTER

Unfortunately we have to give the SONY AC-E60HG AC adapter a poor grade. As we discovered with a number of other portable radios, the adapter is apparently a switching supply that either induces noise into the receiver or lets noise from the house wiring pass through to the receiver. The end effect is that weaker signals are masked – until the cord is unplugged and moved away from the radio. This effect is mostly noticed during the day when there are less SW stations, with weaker signals, to listen to.

No matter who is the manufacturer, we wish such adapters would have power line filters included within the unit.

In our situation with the very local 640 kHz MW station, attaching the adapter also brought in the second harmonic on 1280 kHz. We also checked for the third harmonic on 1920 kHz; that was not heard. Reverting to the batteries, the harmonic disappeared. We can only assume the unshielded house wiring acts an antenna. Your mileage may vary.

For extended listening we still recommend getting an adapter or a DC plug to run the radio off a regulated power supply. If the reception of a station is questionable, just remember to unplug the adapter before giving up trying to listen to the program.
Thanks for the info on the adapter. I'm using batteries to avoid this issue and increase portability .I got the 7600 because it came 5th in a portable mw Dx poll. On shortwave it performs very closely to my FRG 100 which I can only use for HF.
SCOTTISHDXER
Regular
Regular

Post by SCOTTISHDXER »

Hi
acl777 wrote: Checked out your video and it looks like you are using a serious piece of kit. What time did you receive this Dx ? Is it just a case of waiting for a path of darkness between the Tx and the RX or is the timing issue more complicated? I live in a small steel framed flat but still hope to get some Dx on my Sony espeacially on the balcony. Cheers
The time you listen can vary but a good rule of thumb would be to listen at or just before sunrise...and as I said at the moment there is good propagation to North America around 22/23 hrs

Remember if your only using an internal ferrite bar reception can be done but don't expect the same results as someone using say a KAZ or Flag etc.

You should try and see if you can a flag in your flat... against a wall would be fine as long as the balun end points towards North America for me that is 320 deg

In the graphic try and use a variable resistor (volume control) and find a station on the MW that is a local from the rear of the antenna and turn the resistor slowly until you null the station away. The either leave the variable resistor or for neatness measure the value and attach a fixed resistor of the same value.

And you can use it without a low noise preamp but for best results use a pre amp and the palstar AA30 works a treat

cheers Mark

Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

Just got a recording of an urdu sports commentary from VOA, the Al Dhabbaya transmitter in the Untied Arab Emirates.

The opposite direction to the states, but still 3385 miles on 1539 kHz MW using my SW long wire antenna.
acl777

Post by acl777 »

SCOTTISHDXER wrote:Hi
acl777 wrote: Checked out your video and it looks like you are using a serious piece of kit. What time did you receive this Dx ? Is it just a case of waiting for a path of darkness between the Tx and the RX or is the timing issue more complicated? I live in a small steel framed flat but still hope to get some Dx on my Sony espeacially on the balcony. Cheers
The time you listen can vary but a good rule of thumb would be to listen at or just before sunrise...and as I said at the moment there is good propagation to North America around 22/23 hrs

Remember if your only using an internal ferrite bar reception can be done but don't expect the same results as someone using say a KAZ or Flag etc.

You should try and see if you can a flag in your flat... against a wall would be fine as long as the balun end points towards North America for me that is 320 deg

In the graphic try and use a variable resistor (volume control) and find a station on the MW that is a local from the rear of the antenna and turn the resistor slowly until you null the station away. The either leave the variable resistor or for neatness measure the value and attach a fixed resistor of the same value.

And you can use it without a low noise preamp but for best results use a pre amp and the palstar AA30 works a treat

cheers Mark

Hi, thanks for the info. I will look into getting a flag and monitor for transatlantic Dx at those times. The 7600 is great for mw and sw but the filters are far too wide for fm Dx . I guess a tecsun pl 390 is better for that with its Dsp chip. Still I'm glad I've got something to Dx in MW for the winter months. Cheers Alex .
MW0SWA
Call Sign: MW0SWA

Post by MW0SWA »

Great to read this post guys.
MW is something im going to start getting into.
I have a realistic DX 394, so thats the receiver sorted, what antenna would you guys suggest for someone on a tight tight tight tight budget.
does the old long wire work wonders on this MW band?

anyone ever picked anything up on LW?

cheers guys
I am a bit crazy about the Realistic DX-394
acl777

Post by acl777 »

I can't Dx longewave as effectively as I'd like due to poor image rejection on the Sony 7600. I get stuff like gold on 243 and faint images in the 300 kHz range. Not much there anyway and the USA and south America don't use it.
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

I use a DX394B, metre longwire through a 9:1 balun.
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

Voice of Russia from the Yerevan-Gavar transmitter in Eastern Albania tonight on 1314 kHz, another decent addition to the log. Was hunting for Radio Farda from Iran, but my antenna isn't directional (though damn if it isn't sensitive though!)