ADS-B on scanner?

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
radtech
Call Sign: Rich

ADS-B on scanner?

Post by radtech »

Hi all,

I'm interested in seeing what range I can receive ADS-B data. I believe planes TX on 1090 MHz but can't hear any data on my scanner even with the squelch open. Any tips?
Rich
Rod2117
Regular
Regular

Re: ADS-B on scanner?

Post by Rod2117 »

Rich

I have just been doing what you are asking, but decoding the data as well. I am using a DVB-T dongle and ADSBsharp. This receives the data which is then fed through a free program called Virtual Radar. Provided the aircraft is sending out the required data it is displayed on a map and it gives you a rough guide of the distance from your location. Virtual radar will also display its call sign should you want to try an listen for it on the airband. I have just been using the small antenna that came with the dongle. I am in Blackpool and have been picking the signals up from as far as the border with Scotland and planes coming over the Irish Sea. I intend to connect it to my outside antenna where there should be an improvment. There are a number of videos on Youtube about receiving data from aircraft. I have tried on a scanner to hear the data but heard nothing so I decided on the SDR approach which worked. Hope this helps.

Rod
Rod
26 TM 999 (Blackpool)
radtech

Post by radtech »

Rod2117 wrote:Rich

I have just been doing what you are asking, but decoding the data as well. I am using a DVB-T dongle and ADSBsharp. This receives the data which is then fed through a free program called Virtual Radar. Provided the aircraft is sending out the required data it is displayed on a map and it gives you a rough guide of the distance from your location. Virtual radar will also display its call sign should you want to try an listen for it on the airband. I have just been using the small antenna that came with the dongle. I am in Blackpool and have been picking the signals up from as far as the border with Scotland and planes coming over the Irish Sea. I intend to connect it to my outside antenna where there should be an improvment. There are a number of videos on Youtube about receiving data from aircraft. I have tried on a scanner to hear the data but heard nothing so I decided on the SDR approach which worked. Hope this helps.

Rod
Thanks for that. I'll have to get another dongle as my first one seemed to have very poor RX.
Rich
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Don't be tempted to pay £50 for an 'ADS-B' dongle, they are just a five quid SDR dongle with different screen printing on.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
radtech

Post by radtech »

Found a DVB-T in a box of bits earlier, can't even remember buying it! Set it up with my Raspberry Pi and it's picking up planes hundreds of miles away using my UHF colinear so seems to be working ok.
Rich
Glamdring

Post by Glamdring »

I get over 200nm from my Raspberry Pi...

http://radar.clanlawrence.co.uk