Polycon and G-WONN ( WO99) South wales Police

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
welshevo
Call Sign: 163TM995

Polycon and G-WONN ( WO99) South wales Police

Post by welshevo »

afternoon... after reading on TM1 about Polycon i plonked the freqs into my handie and headed off down the heli port for Wales ( St Athan) ...after waiting sometime there was no "polycon" action at all... so im now thinking how far does polycon TX @ 500mw? and does G-WONN still reside at St Athan or are they now sharing with Gloucs airport? like the majority of others these days to save costs.... could someone shed some light on this... any polycon would be great!! not just G-WONN

also am i right in thinking if a heli flys over the house using polycon and my handie is on scanning will it hear it??

let me know good people of TM1 :D

regards

Welsh
:thumbup: Tetra is a Lonely place! Get DMR instead! (163TM995) ...... :thumbup:
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Polycon and G-WONN ( WO99) South wales Police

Post by Mikel »

No doubt you have seen my Polycon posts in the Wales section. I regularly hear the Polycon transmissions from the SAR helis based at St Athan but have never actually seen them in the sky yet when transmissions are taking place. This is with a Uniden 3500 and various set top antenna in an upstairs bedroom.

WO99 used to be based for many years at Tremorfa Heliport and was going to move to St Athan when the service was privatised, has this taken place yet?

WO99 regularly flies over here (looking for me probably) but I have never heard any Polycon traffic from it and I was under the impression that this type of intercom was not installed on the Police helicopters.

Someone has suggested a line of site range of about 30 miles?
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

These are the Polycon frequencies that I have in my scanner:

419.1125 Mhz
419.1375 Mhz
419.1875 Mhz
417.3750 Mhz
417.5000 Mhz
417.5250 Mhz
417.5750 Mhz
449.5375 Mhz
449.5875 Mhz
449.6875 Mhz
449.7375 Mhz
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
welshevo
Call Sign: 163TM995

Post by welshevo »

Mikel i think i copied your freqs into my handie.... and 30 miles?? so being in the valleys i should hear something at least?? and im not to bothered about WO99 but helimeds? surley they use it? and other SAR's?? and yep from what i can gather the move to St athan took place some time ago??
:thumbup: Tetra is a Lonely place! Get DMR instead! (163TM995) ...... :thumbup:
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

What I usually do is have Planefinder running on the laptop while the scanner is monitoring the Polycon channels:

https://planefinder.net/

This will show all the different aircraft types flying in the area. The SAR helis are visible on here so may give you an idea of range if you know one is airbourne.

I'm sure someone posted on this site regarding reception of a helimed Polycon transmission - no doubt an expert will be along in a moment.
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thelad »

Not much use for plod to use a Polycon system as they dont really move from a seat unlike SAR or a Helimed that drops a crew member down to be guided into a tight landing spot.
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

Interesting Polycon presentation:

http://www.beckerusa.com/pdf/Presentation%20Polycon.pdf

States the following regarding range:

'Typical Range 10 – 15 Nm, line of sight'