Airband Reception

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
ThePeaLauncher
Regular
Regular

Airband Reception

Post by ThePeaLauncher »

Ive had a short rest from listening to the airband maybe 4-6 months. In that period of time i have left my scanner in its same location and also the antenna where it was. Since coming back to the scanner this week the reception from Manchester Airport is now dreadful (i live approx 8 miles away from the runway). Has something changed are they broadcasting from somewhere else? I have a uniden 800xlt scanner so pretty decent set up, any help would be appreciated. On Manchester Approach for example i could hear ground controller and aircraft no problem now its all crackly but can hear the aircraft only reasonably well??
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: Airband Reception

Post by Admiral »

Hi mate, unless your dog has had a chew on the internal feed, it's probably something external that's gone a bit wrong.

It might be an idea to meter the coax for a short, if that's reasonable then check any joints or connections for water-logging.

I highly doubt anything bad has happened to the radio.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
ThePeaLauncher
Regular
Regular

Post by ThePeaLauncher »

Cheers mate i have nothing running outside, antenna runs basically inside to the loft like it always has done. It really is very puzzling i might have to try a new antenna but ive not had it long.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

Something has happened. It's unlikely that the aerial itself has failed if it's in the loft, so it's cable and connectors, plus of course checking the aerial hasn't fell down, or had the box of xmas decorations pushed right into it, or is now laying g on your water tank. It will be something really simple in most cases. I went to great trouble replacing my TV aerial and feeder cable to discover the new one worked just as poorly, and the real fault was indeed the xmas decorations - my wife having moved them ready to get them down, and had sat them on the aerial distribution amp, pulling the coax out of the connector!
ThePeaLauncher
Regular
Regular

Post by ThePeaLauncher »

Thanks for reply will make some investigations i think bit gutted as wanted to listen to approach today in the windy gusts LOL.
Ive just plugged scanner into my PC and refreshed everything in BC Tool just in case so hopefully sort it soon.
ThePeaLauncher
Regular
Regular

Post by ThePeaLauncher »

Ok done investigations at home couldnt improve the reception much it used to be great in the house.. Set up the scanner mobile today and went for a drive round. Working absolutely brilliantly even in the rain, managed to hear both sides of all communicatons on lots of frequencys from airport. Also a Ham on simplex in North Wales and the Denbigh repeater on 2m not picked those up before from home. So scanner and antenna all good so why the change in reception at home??
nerdsville

Post by nerdsville »

A long shot but could be receiver desensitisation, (new) strong local source on another frequency is overloading receiver, can be a problem if antenna is a wide band one.
ThePeaLauncher
Regular
Regular

Post by ThePeaLauncher »

Thanks Nerdsville was just wondering the same, has something changed locally that is causing inteference.
Its a huge possible looking at the radio's performance today when out mobile, might be time for an outdoor antenna.