Airband receiver kit

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Airband receiver kit

Post by StormShadow »

I stumbled across this Airband receiver kit which has inspired me to build an airband receiver, i was just wondering if anybody had bought one of these or whether somebody could tell me if these kits are any good? I'd also like to be able to add on a frequency counter, would it be possible to add a frequency counter to this? I tried to add a picture of the kit without any joy so I've put in the links for the Airband receiver kit and the frequency counter that I'd like to add to it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Air-band- ... 2a4901765f

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Accuracy ... 2a4fa9945a
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: Airband receiver kit

Post by Admiral »

With my limited knowledge, it looks nasty to me, no reference crystal, and likely a slope detecting system that will be poor on performance and make your counter useless as the tuned signal will be well off of actual frequency.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

I like the description :)
Kit welding requires some electronic technology, please bring a multimeter and a soldering iron and other tools, manuals, etc. Our guide explained to prevail. Kit manual will be placed on the network for all to download.
Dedicated to receiving calls between the aircraft and the tower, with the good performance of the antenna (VHF Yagi paragraph), open at the maximum acceptable within approximately 190Km between the various types of aircraft and the tower calls, like friends please pay attention.
Has the following characteristics:
1, the package uses a band-pass filter, 3355 high-level, NE602 mixer, MC1350 programs in place, can receive 118-136MHz AM signal.
2, printed directly on the PCB trace inductance, greatly simplifying the assembly of difficulty, right after welding, the only devices that need to be adjusted in the week.
3, the board has to listen to the AGC circuit to ensure comfort, while avoiding the long squelch noise.
4,12 V power supply, PCB board size is 9.2 * 7.5cm, can be placed in 97 * 40 * 120mm aluminum chassis to use.
Tip: Due to the VHF bands have similar propagation ---- rectilinear propagation of light, but the receiving location accessible from the airport, distance (greater than 25Km's) must be installed VHF Yagi antenna contour segment gain antenna; receiving location between the airport large obstructions (including but not limited to tall buildings, mountains, towers) is always around the obstacle, thank you!
Kit Instructions
This package is not soldered good, delivery is scattered all electronic components, shop display of the finished picture, purchase only reference.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What issues should pay attention to?
A: VHF has been close to a straight line, so the VHF communications can not be blocked, listen to the signal tower more necessary attention to this point, listen to the aircraft entry and exit signals slightly better, because the aircraft height from the ground close to the airport, there are hundreds to thousands of meters high, so the signal can cover long distances. Meanwhile, in order to better results, we recommend using an external frame, high antennas, such as 1/4 wavelength (about 60 cm) of GP antenna or use a better VHF Yagi antenna section! In short, according to the actual environment, appropriate tie antenna, in order to achieve good results!
Q: What kind of antenna to use?

A: For the primary enthusiasts recommend using GP antenna or Yagi antenna, the two antennas is relatively simple, very suitable for self-control. The figure is an antenna GP, GP antenna is a planar antenna ground short, the antenna and the antenna is called Vertical ground network, is a common vertically polarized omni-directional antenna. It consists of a vertical radiator and the 3-4 root horizontally extending oscillator components. GP antenna structure is simple, easy to set up, no rotator, usually used as a fixed radio antenna, making simple.

Below Yagi antenna, with good directivity and high gain, conditionally recommended to do this.
Metal beams with end-fire direction perpendicular to the polarization direction of the electric field, so the antenna radiation does not produce a significant effect, the insulator may be used! ? is the wavelength in the figure, were calculated director, the main reflector and the transducer length and a, b, c, d spacing after assembly.
NOTE:
This product is bulk, and install it by ourselves
Lumiya

Post by Lumiya »

Typical Chinglish

@Stormshadow: So how are you going to connect the freq display to the radio?
CB since '85
AR since '91
Ex-RAF

If you get just a YES or NO answer it will mean either you should already know the answer or you have proved yourself incapable of understanding the answer. Also if you think I need to explain what I type then perhaps you should realise your own limitations
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Lumiya

Post by Lumiya »

Not unless it come with a microsquirt ;)
CB since '85
AR since '91
Ex-RAF

If you get just a YES or NO answer it will mean either you should already know the answer or you have proved yourself incapable of understanding the answer. Also if you think I need to explain what I type then perhaps you should realise your own limitations
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

Never mind, I suppose I can make an analog frequency dial for it which shouldn't be to hard. I went ahead and bought the kit I've got the perfect box to house it all in too :D

I also looked up some circuit diagrams for other airband receivers as well so I may build a few.
terryhow
New User
New User
Call Sign: GW6FBV

Post by terryhow »

StormShadow wrote:I stumbled across this Airband receiver kit which has inspired me to build an airband receiver, i was just wondering if anybody had bought one of these or whether somebody could tell me if these kits are any good? I'd also like to be able to add on a frequency counter, would it be possible to add a frequency counter to this? I tried to add a picture of the kit without any joy so I've put in the links for the Airband receiver kit and the frequency counter that I'd like to add to it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Air-band- ... 2a4901765f

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Accuracy ... 2a4fa9945a
Hi they are ok but not as good as a dedicated Airband Receiver with a digital display, there is a new version out now that I built into a large metal box & put the tuning pot away from the circuite board so a rotary dial could be placed on the front for some freq calibration, like I mentioned it does not pick up as good as a scanner using the same antenna.
stratocaster
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by stratocaster »

All very well, but I personally would stay well away from them, save your cash and buy a half decent scanner with dedicated air band.
You can never have enough radios!