Tattoo flypasts 2013?

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
stratocaster
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Tattoo flypasts 2013?

Post by stratocaster »

As did I! And they've the cheek to up the price recently by another 5p to 60p! :shock: We will be lucky to get any as you say! :(
You can never have enough radios!
Glamdring

Post by Glamdring »

Well, I'm in work just now and there is no sign of any briefing pack and nobody knows anything about any flypasts. Either there isn't going to be any, or (more likely) nobody has bothered to tell us about them.
stratocaster
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by stratocaster »

No worries Chris! I'll just keep all on standby just in case!
You can never have enough radios!
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

Raf Leuchars has just posted on their Twitter page that there will be flypasts from Leuchars and Lossie.
Whistler TRX-1
Glamdring

Post by Glamdring »

Yep. Apparently one of our managers who is off today has all the details in an email but has neglected to print it out for the rest of us, dipstick.

Anyhoo, there is defo one tonight, 2 Typhoons as far as I know, no details on times. From what I've heard there is significantly less dates than last year, 7 or 8 in total. I'll post the details when I get them.
aviation94
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by aviation94 »

This direct from RAF Leuchars Home Page...

02 August 2013

RAF Fast Jets to Give Tattoo Flying Start

Royal Air Force fast jet combat aircraft based in Scotland will this year deliver 6 evening flypasts in support of the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo 2013, beginning this weekend.

Each flypast will be conducted by of a pair of RAF combat aircraft, either multi-role Typhoons from RAF Leuchars or Tornado GR4s ground attack aircraft from RAF Lossiemouth. They will travel at 1,000 feet following a route up the Royal Mile and over the esplanade at Edinburgh Castle. The flypasts are planned carefully in conjunction with Edinburgh Air Traffic Control and take place operational considerations allowing.

Air Officer Scotland and Station Commander RAF Leuchars, Air Commodore Gerry Mayhew said:

"The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo is a fixture in the Scottish summer calendar and the RAF is proud to add to the pageantry and spectacle of this event. The Typhoons and Tornados based in Scotland are a vital element of the UK's air power capability and events like this are a good way for us to highlight our role in UK defence and thank the wider community for their support and goodwill.

"By their nature, our jets are big, noisy, fast-moving machines and we are always conscious of minimising the disturbance to the civilian community when we are flying. I trust that the people of Edinburgh will appreciate the opportunity to witness first-hand the Typhoon Force, which is at readiness every minute of every day to protect them and our sovereign airspace, and the Tornado GR4s that provide critical intelligence gathering and air support for our troops on the ground in Afghanistan."

The flypasts are scheduled to take place on Friday the 2nd, Saturday the 3rd, Tuesday the 6th, Thursday the 8th, Saturday the 10th and Monday the 12th of August. The Saturday flypasts will take place at 7.30 p.m. On all other days they will take place at 9 p.m.

Tattoo Chief Executive and Producer Brigadier David Allfrey, said:

“We are delighted that the RAF is supporting the Tattoo again this year. The fly-pasts are a spectacular opening to proceedings – an aerial salute that is expected to electrify our audiences.”

----END----

Hope this helps! :D
aviation94
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by aviation94 »

From the RAF Leuchars website...

02 August 2013

News articles by date

RAF Fast Jets to Give Tattoo Flying Start

Royal Air Force fast jet combat aircraft based in Scotland will this year deliver 6 evening flypasts in support of the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo 2013, beginning this weekend.

Each flypast will be conducted by of a pair of RAF combat aircraft, either multi-role Typhoons from RAF Leuchars or Tornado GR4s ground attack aircraft from RAF Lossiemouth. They will travel at 1,000 feet following a route up the Royal Mile and over the esplanade at Edinburgh Castle. The flypasts are planned carefully in conjunction with Edinburgh Air Traffic Control and take place operational considerations allowing.

Tattoo

Air Officer Scotland and Station Commander RAF Leuchars, Air Commodore Gerry Mayhew said:

"The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo is a fixture in the Scottish summer calendar and the RAF is proud to add to the pageantry and spectacle of this event. The Typhoons and Tornados based in Scotland are a vital element of the UK's air power capability and events like this are a good way for us to highlight our role in UK defence and thank the wider community for their support and goodwill.

"By their nature, our jets are big, noisy, fast-moving machines and we are always conscious of minimising the disturbance to the civilian community when we are flying. I trust that the people of Edinburgh will appreciate the opportunity to witness first-hand the Typhoon Force, which is at readiness every minute of every day to protect them and our sovereign airspace, and the Tornado GR4s that provide critical intelligence gathering and air support for our troops on the ground in Afghanistan."

Tattoo

The flypasts are scheduled to take place on Friday the 2nd, Saturday the 3rd, Tuesday the 6th, Thursday the 8th, Saturday the 10th and Monday the 12th of August. The Saturday flypasts will take place at 7.30 p.m. On all other days they will take place at 9 p.m.

Tattoo Chief Executive and Producer Brigadier David Allfrey, said:

“We are delighted that the RAF is supporting the Tattoo again this year. The fly-pasts are a spectacular opening to proceedings – an aerial salute that is expected to electrify our audiences.”

Hope this helps :)
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :D

First one and afterburners a go-go!

Chhhhrrrrrrrruuuuuuuwwwwwwwwwwcccccchhhhhhhhhhsssssshhhhhhhcccccccccccchhhhhhhhhwwwwwwwww!!!!!!
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

I heard it but couldn't see it. Was 2 Tornadoes callsign POKER.
Whistler TRX-1
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Just got in from having a curry and a beer in the park and was checking emails etc. when I heard the roar.

Missed the approach out my living room window but I know by now to run to the opposite side of the house as soon as I hear 'em, just in time to see them blazing over the buildings between me and the castle.

Sweet!

Might head up Arthur's Seat with the camera and a radio tomorrow night.
Glamdring

Post by Glamdring »

Details for the remaining dates...

Sat 03 - 2 x Typhoons - TOT 1830Z
Tue 06 - 2 x Tornados - TOT 2000Z
Thu 08 - 2 x Tornados - TOT 2000Z
Sat 10 - 2 x Typhoons - TOT 1830Z
Mon 12 - 2 x Typhoons - TOT 2000Z

The BBC are planning to be filming on the 12th, depending on the weather their backup days are the 13th, 14th, 15th & 16th. So there may be a flypast on one of those days too. It would be 2 x Typhoons @ 2000Z