Chirp Issue - Exporting Radio Settings

Here you can discuss Datamodes for all bands (PSK31, FT8, JS8Call, etc), Software Defined Radio topics & General Radio Software or apps
jimster99
Regular
Regular

Chirp Issue - Exporting Radio Settings

Post by jimster99 »

Hello!! I have a Baofeng UVB6 and would like help using Chirp. My goal is to use Chirp to upload a list of frequencies to my radio, but I am having the problem detailed below (apologies for so much info, but I'm not sure what's relevant).

So: I can load chirp fine on my computer, and I can connect to the radio and can download and view the radio's current frequency list in Chirp. I want to export this list to a csv file and then edit it using MS Excel to add the extra frequencies, and then import back into Chirp and upload to the radio.

So I choose "File->Export" in chirp, and then select ".csv" mode, and then choose the file location. This is where the first problem arises - Chirp brings up a list of columns to export, but it only lists the first 6 columns, whereas in the list of frequencies for the radio in the native Chirp list (as directly downloaded from the radio) there are 15 columns! Anyway I select "all" and then save the file, and then re-open it using Excel. This is where the second problem arises!The columns in the csv file are very different from what I see in Chirp.

For example, Chirp shows me the "power" column (where I can choose either "high" or "low"). However, the csv file does not have this column! And there are plenty of different columns in the csv file which are not in Chirp. I suspect Chirp is exporting the frequency list using a "default" format and not the UVB6 specific format, but I cannot work out how to correct this. {bnghd} Can anyone advise?? Thanks!!!

J99
26TM931
Regular
Regular

Re: Chirp Issue - Exporting Radio Settings

Post by 26TM931 »

Why don't you just edit in Chirp, save the file and upload it back to the radio
jimster99
Regular
Regular

Post by jimster99 »

26TM931 wrote:Why don't you just edit in Chirp, save the file and upload it back to the radio
Well I could, but the Chirp file editor is rubbish.
26TM931
Regular
Regular

Post by 26TM931 »

Better than the CSV file
owza
Call Sign: M0

Post by owza »

I have had more luck editing CSV files. http://www.transmission1.co.uk/viewtopi ... =3&t=41482
jimster99
Regular
Regular

Post by jimster99 »

In the end I gave in and used Chirp to edit the file settings. Took 1.5 hrs (instead of 1 minute in Excel) but at least it's done! Shame I couldn't find a better solution though.
M6UCW
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0UCW
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (UB7 Greater London)

Post by M6UCW »

Been checking on another forumn as I had similar issues. I opened the Chirp file for EU PMR & LPD, exported it to my PC, added 2m/70cm then imported it back into Chirp and it wouldnt upload.

I couldnt even get the EU PMR & LPD file to upload so there is an issue - the only time the upload button is available is once I've downloaded whats on the radio.
Winner of the amazing In before the lock game 16/07/14
jimster99
Regular
Regular

Post by jimster99 »

CDAW wrote:Been checking on another forumn as I had similar issues. I opened the Chirp file for EU PMR & LPD, exported it to my PC, added 2m/70cm then imported it back into Chirp and it wouldnt upload.

I couldnt even get the EU PMR & LPD file to upload so there is an issue - the only time the upload button is available is once I've downloaded whats on the radio.
Was the other forum UKRadioScanning, by any chance?? :-)

I still think you're doing something wrong. What happens when you open the file you want to upload in Chirp, then press the "upload to radio" button? That's how I did it, and it works fine.