Cobra Mk V transceiver

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Cobra Mk V transceiver

Post by Panteneman »

Cobra MK V

Coverage: 26-30mhz
Modes: FM, AM, SSB, CW
TX power: 40w Max

Online sources state that these rigs started like as Cobra 148-GTL-DX's (PB010AA/AB chassis) that were modified by a guy called John Nugent (trading as JenTec - "John E Nugent Technology"), that lived in Plaistow, London and were heavily modified to lnclude various extra functions, such as:

Variable Power
26-30Mhz using 4 position Band Switch
1Kc RX/TX Clarifier
Scan Facility, UP/Down, could stop on a busy channel if using squelch
Timed Scan resume
Astatic Teardrop with UP/Down buttons could Scan/Change Frequency UP/Down
10Kc - 1Kc channel steps
Repeater shift
+/- 100Kc Repeater offset
S/RF and Power S-Meter indication
5-Digit Frequency Counter (Red or Green)
A Big Heatsink on rear panel

The features on this rig at the time was ahead of its time. Only around 500 were ever produced and fetch high prices online. Sadly, John Nugent died in 1997. But he will be remembered for his work on these rigs.

A place to discuss the Cobra MK V rig...
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...

RE: Cobra Mk V transceiver

Post by Guest »

John Nugent was the best engineer of his time... He was a quiet guy and indeed a technical genius. I would love one of these in good condition, and indeed I know people that have spent upto 500quid for one in good condition.

With this radio, his legacy will live on!!!!!!
jofino
Regular
Regular

Post by jofino »

:D :D Cobraworxshopz had one for sale a month ago, Her wouldnt let mr buy it as I,d just got the 95T2, pity theyre supposed to be brilliant rigs :D :D
sold ( Galaxy 95T2 ). Searching for a Replacement.
Antron99
Inverted "V"
Astatic D104
Watson 25 amp Power Pack
163TM150
2W0BVS

Only the good die young (Im still here)

Re: RE: Cobra Mk V transceiver

Post by Guest »

simonthewizard wrote: I know people that have spent upto 500quid for one in good condition.

!
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Some suckers out there :roll:
jazzsinger
Banned
Banned

RE: Re: RE: Cobra Mk V transceiver

Post by jazzsinger »

after all's said and done its just an expanded cobra,aint worth anymore than ?150.
Banned Account
Pilsener
Regular
Regular

Post by Pilsener »

The back panel looks exact the same as my Magum S-9
20 TM 666 - The Evil DX'er
Animal

Post by Animal »

Frequency counter only reads to three places after the decimal??? WTF

TBH I think they've been 'bigged up' by a cartel of owners (probably orchestrated by the people at Cobraworxshopzzz) to increase the market value.

Hey, don't get me wrong I'm sure they're a nice radio but there are more modern transceivers out there equally as good for a more sensible price.
Rig ~ Tomy Baby Monitor (8 Pill)
Mic ~ Heil Element in a Pot Noodle Cup
Ant ~ Two co-phased coathangers
Power ~ Running off two lemons
Amp ~ Soviet Tetrode driving a flux-capacitor
Rotator ~ Cement mixer motor with dimmer switch
mr_m3

Post by mr_m3 »

i prefer the limted ones with then green frequecy counter if i'm not mistaken there the ones that are achually done by john himself :O
26TM069
M3UBO-----> 2E0FML---->2E0PUC
bonehead
Regular
Regular

Post by bonehead »

the display is about as accurate as a sawn off shotgun.
a lad by me got 1 from america, over ?200, and when he brought it to me to get it checked over, I was sorely disappointed.
shame really, so far ahead of it's time, had so much potential, and turned out to be SH!TE.
Icom IC756 pro3, Yaesu FL2100z, Yaesu FC102, Butternut HF2v, Cushcraft A3s/A743, Cushcraft A3Ws/A103, Cushcraft A50-6s.
Standard C5900, Diamond V2000.
Yaesu FT857d, ATAS 120a.

logbook

DXCC
Queball
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Cobra Mk V transceiver

Post by Queball »

Yes the green display ones were done by John,they were apparantly 'specials' done by him for his very close friends. Was told recently that Cobraworxshopz are about to announce some news about the MK V,will have to watch this space!
gholdq on youtube.com
26TM265
26FB165
26CT066
26UK165
Queball
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Queball »

Have had mine now for a couple of years, one for the collector i think.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gholdq on youtube.com
26TM265
26FB165
26CT066
26UK165
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Re: RE: Re: RE: Cobra Mk V transceiver

Post by Otter »

Animal wrote:TBH I think they've been 'bigged up' by a cartel of owners (probably started by the people at Cobraworxshopzzz) to increase the market value.

Hey, don't get me wrong I'm sure they're a nice radio but there are more modern transceivers out there equally as good for a more sensible price.
That I would agree with. The whole Cobra 148 GTL DX thing is hyped while the *identical* Superstar 360 FM is all but ignored. I'm sure the Mk5 conversion was revolutionary in its day, but these days if I wanted something like that my money would go on a Superstar 3900 EFT.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
Queball
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: RE: Re: RE: Cobra Mk V transceiver

Post by Queball »

That I would agree with. The whole Cobra 148 GTL DX thing is hyped while the *identical* Superstar 360 FM is all but ignored. I'm sure the Mk5 conversion was revolutionary in its day, but these days if I wanted something like that my money would go on a Superstar 3900 EFT.[/quote]

I think the jury is still out as far as they are concerned. We had all the hype with those 3900EL recently and from what i have read on various forums it was not good, so lets see!
gholdq on youtube.com
26TM265
26FB165
26CT066
26UK165
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

I missed that hype, but since the EL part is guaranteed to fail over time (it gets dimmer with age) I wouldn't consider an EL rig of any type. If the 3900 EFT is in fact a variable power version of the SS-158EDX it should be a good rig. I have the SS-158EDX and I'm very happy with it.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
Sylad

Post by Sylad »

The 3900eft is the chassis of the 6900F.

The 158EDX uses the "10D" revision and the 3900EFT uses the latest Revision the "11D".
Many circuit differences.

This is all i know about tne new 3900eft.
Thinking about geting one to try.
But im off air atm & can not test. :( :( :(
Simon
Lincolnshire
26TM158 & 26DX617

INDEED YOU ARE POWERFUL !