Smart meter

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Nitehawk

Smart meter

Post by Nitehawk »

Hi Guys
Don't know whether this is the right forum, my neighbor has had a British Gas smart meter fitted on Thursday, yesterday and today I have a pulse sound at 7 lb on ssb and fm, I have a Southern Electric smart meter had it for ages no problem, are there any of you had this problem if so have you got round it, l spoke to my neighbor, they confirmed it was fitted Thursday, Thanks Guys it's a nightmare.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Re: Smart meter

Post by The Collector »

I know nothing about them sorry, but that's a bummer!
What with these and BT's gizmos giving out loads of interference, it's slowly helping to kill off CB for good.

I'd get in touch with BG and ask them to pop round and see the issue for themselves.

I don't want one of those things and never will, plus a lot of them don't send the info/useage to the providers anyway due to poor signal, which they only discover weeks after you've had it fitted.

Fingers crossed for you mate!
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

There's nothing about the operation of a smart meter in itself that should cause interference.

However if it has a dodgy power supply then yes it could be the problem.

Best thing is to get a handheld radio and ask your neighbour if you can see if the meter is the source of the interference.
Nitehawk

Post by Nitehawk »

Cheers Del,
Getting a handheld on Wednesday, not got any interference at the moment, some other stations have had this problem as well, they reckon it's atmospheric.
Nitehawk

Post by Nitehawk »

Hi guy's
All sorted now, I think i might have jumped the gun, this pulsating/ throbbing interference was more likely to have been atmospheric as local stations reported the same problem, blimey I nearly threw my rattle out of my pram :D :D
Cheers Dave.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Phew! Nice one. Hopefully it was some passing clouds with static build-up, or a new Russian over-the-horizon radar system that has failed to work, but whatever the cause, strange or not, it's gone.

What a coincidence with your neighbour though, so I can understand why you put 2 and 2 together.
Nitehawk

Post by Nitehawk »

Cheers Collector
I nearly had a coronation, and threw my rattle out of my pram😁 definitely not the smart meter, but what a coincidence as it is so quiet here.
73's Dave
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

Smart meters use Zigbee, which is most likely to use 2.4GHz. 868MHz is possible but uncommon.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1