A99 tuning rings , high swr until lubricated ?

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Re: A99 tuning rings , high swr until lubricated ?

Post by original45 »

Ok let's talk chokes, I have now removed old 213 to replace with good old rg 8 not the mini.

Should I incorporate a choke I have a 4" former to make choke on and long enough rg 8 to do so.

Can someone advise on number of full coils on 4" for freq 26,000 to 27,800 mghz.

I had 5turns on 4" before but never saw much difference if at all.

Thank you
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

Usually 6 to 8 turns for a rf choke on a 4" former (plastic pipe) for 27MHz.
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Thank you will try 7 first see how goes
Atvb
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Given up , it's driving me crazy with frustration and the worst thing possible happened ,a pole dropped and hit the floor .couldn't have missed my rg8 could it.
Cut half way through pretty much in the centre.

I don't mind saying I shed a tear with frustration.
Propper old 80s rg8 fubar .

Thanks for the advices gents. Will come back to it when I feel I can..

All the best
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

original45 wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 15:31 Given up , it's driving me crazy with frustration and the worst thing possible happened ,a pole dropped and hit the floor .couldn't have missed my rg8 could it.
Cut half way through pretty much in the centre.

I don't mind saying I shed a tear with frustration.
Propper old 80s rg8 fubar .

Thanks for the advices gents. Will come back to it when I feel I can..

All the best
Just sent to try you :)

Get a bigger/better second hand antenna when you can afford it (or swap something) O45........A99 isn't worth giving up this hobby for........it all takes time.

P.s.= Someone "up there" saying get an Imax/827 or the pole hits you the next time ;) :lol:

27.555 Usb
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Tell half the people on here that you like using your Antron and THEY'LL hit YOU with a pole ;)

I used to love messing with aerials and poles when I was a teenager. I used to make my own Sigma4-type square baskets for my 5/8th wave and 1/2 wave Silver Rods just for the hell of it (not that they made any noticeable difference). I'm too old for all that sh** nowadays. I don't mind messing with stuff on the ground, but I'm too sensible (and heavy) to go walking on roof tiles any more, attaching yet another 20ft pole!
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

The Collector wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 16:28 Tell half the people on here that you like using your Antron and THEY'LL hit YOU with a pole ;)
Used one for a few year 30ft up with a Rm kl 400 and it worked ok..........but when I put it up against a far better antenna like the 827,I had went from +20 (A99) to +40db (827) on my mates Icom running the same power as before I changed antenna.....it showed the A99 to be what it is = a half wave = ok it will get you out n about but there is better.

The monkeys at the zoo can run more power to get out............its the rx that matters imo.

27.555 Usb
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

There are 2 kind of imax/antron/blackpirate users.
Those who already discovered, that aluminium antenna outperforms it and those who don't.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

ch25 wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 17:21 There are 2 kind of imax/antron/blackpirate users.
Those who already discovered, that aluminium antenna outperforms it and those who don't.
Some people don't have the luxury of an antenna with groundplanes and its a compromise because they are restricted by planning rules/or they can't afford better like you,get over it

Does that mean the amateurs on E.HAM talk sh1te that use them and have given a good review on that site ch25 ?

27.555 Usb
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Post by Tigersaw »

I put up a A99 at about 12 feet above ground just the other day, yesterday evening I ran wspr on 10m, and I got the best results in UK for RX, so I guess it receives OK. If I listen on FM CB though, nothing on UK channels, endstop Spanish stations on the EU
http://wspr.pe1itr.com/score.php?band=2 ... 2019-07-04
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

Oh... Eham reviews. Someone treat it more than entertainment?
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Still not feeling clear in my head but I'm not finished.
I'm not bothered about the swr presently more the rg 8 . I saved like mental to buy it back in the 80s ,gotta be at least a 60/70ft length and was mint still.
Has the raised rg8 on the outer jacket and measures just over 8mm dia.

It has cut a chunk out of the outer ,a big piece of braid missing and cut quarter through the centre dielectric exposing the copper centre.

I hate joining coax with barrel connectors and pl plugs but now I see no choice.I'm absolutely gutted.

I can't even decide what size plug I need now, just over 8mm dia cable ? Advice please.

I know I know the antron are crap. But you know what I loved it , it's been awesome once I got it up high .yes I initially had issues but sorted them.
I won't slash it off I love and look after all my radio gear ,it's cherished .ma y sound stupid but Im not a kit tart .

I can't fault it until now I really can't .
I do want a better antenna I'm just not sure what.
I like the antron so imax seems sensible , the 827 would be awesome but I'm not sure I can safely get one up with the radials on without damaging them due to house roof and access to free air space.

I will repair coax,I will get my antron back up to temp use I just feel as broken as my gear so few days off, maybe order plugs once I know size.

But this whole issue really got to me this time.
I'd rather the antron trashed than my coax I only got out today to fit in place of shorter 213.
Gutted.

Words of wisdom spoken
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

ch25 wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 18:29 Oh... Eham reviews. Someone treat it more than entertainment?
You could always put your own review/experience with the Imax on E.HAM,after all you are an AMATEUR......mind and put your REAL callsign.......

That way people will be able to see how "stupid" some of the so called amateurs actually are on that site (or any site that recommends an Imax)and obviously there are many THICK amateurs on TM1 aswell then,that use the Imax but thats only YOUR opinion ch25.

Obviously the reviews from novices should be taken with a pinch o salt.......

A local mate managed just over 7200 mile with a 6900/Imax the other week on 27.565 USB,will just start telling people he used a beam with a 1kw through it 200ft up eh........instead of a cheap cb set up.

Might have to stop Mr Weetabix from being a TM1 mod now..........as he obviously knows nothing about antennas either because he uses an Imax aswell,but only in YOUR opinion ch25,not everyone elses ;)

27.555 Usb
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

Any antenna is better than no antenna. Enjoy QSO's while you can :)
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

Maybe one day you will have the balls to put your thoughts on e.ham with your proper amateur callsign ch25,that way you can entertain the uneducated.......or you could inform them with good advice.........upto YOU.

You can tell those full call amateurs who rate them,that they talk total sh1te when it comes to the performance of the Imax,because it worked sh1t for YOU.

27.555 Usb