swr placement

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
transit2500
Regular
Regular

swr placement

Post by transit2500 »

where to put swr meter , got radio to power reducer to 4 watts in to the amp then swr to see what power amp is producing . i had it like this yesterday but amp fuse kept blowing so today tried with out swr seemed fine . i need to know what power is coming out of amp not for swr
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: swr placement

Post by ch25 »

Always before antenna.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

If it's just purely to test the amp's power output, shouldn't you use an adaquate dummy-load rather than having it plugged into an aerial?

I'm no expert as I've never tried this myself though.
Nasa
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by Nasa »

The swr meter is installed between the antenna and the amplifier.
Of course you have to make sure that the swr meter can handle the power of the amplifier.
The Collector wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 20:05 If it's just purely to test the amp's power output, shouldn't you use an adaquate dummy-load rather than having it plugged into an aerial?
For testing purposes a dummy load would be fine. It makes sure that your SWR is 1:1 and your power output is converted into heat instead of radiation.

Regards,
Lothar