148 chrome bezel repair ?

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 108TM154

148 chrome bezel repair ?

Post by gmham »

Guys one off my 148gtldx mk2`s bezels has a small bit off chrome missing from the top bezzel surround. kinda annoying as the rest off the bezel pretty much perfect. 20mm wide chrome adhesive tape likely look okay along the whole top length as opposed to just the effacred part ? or just leave it and try pick up a new original non stepped bezel some day ? anyone here managed to get a decent looking finish on the chrome bezel ?
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

Moxon antenna for 10/20 mtrs

——
John - 108TM154 / 108CO154
speeddemon

Re: 148 chrome bezel repair ?

Post by speeddemon »

Lightly sand /etc and use 3m spray chrome in rattle can from auto parts store or get a gd used benzel off fleabay bro.cheers
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

I have the same issue . I'm no good at any kind of painting , but I get the feeling that it wouldn't come out right with chrome from a "can" ?

Maybe , it comes out fine . I've no idea . I'm leaving mines as is at the moment . It's gives it a "used" look anyway :)
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by gmham »

Cheers guys yep have to agrea given my spray painting skills would probably make it look worse ! May give the idea off a chrome finish strip along the the top.
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

——
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

The person who invents a paint which looks just like chrome will make loads of money...

On my last 360 I touched up the corner with humbrol chrome paint. It will certainly look better than a chip, but it is never going to look like chrome plating.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Its allready been invented bro's they been spraying it for years now on vintage/antque/hotrods bumpers /chrome mouldings /plastics/and even whole cars . Google spray on chrome and eastwood .com and chrome paint for plastics..just choose wisely .Cheers
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

:ugeek: And if ya cant spray gd you can allways send it out to be sprayed chrome by many companies offering that service advertising on the net...and again just choose wisely. Cheers n 73's
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

speeddemon wrote: 05 Dec 2017, 17:41 Its allready been invented bro's
I didn't say that it hadn't been invented . I said that I didn't think it would come out right . I mean how thick is the chrome layer on a bezel ? And what's the thinnest layer of spray chrome paint you could lay down ? I don't know . I just don't think it would look as good as an original .
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by gmham »

Ok thanks again for the info.. given the popularity off spare faceplates / bezels for the 148/ss360fm strange that a company has not seen a market for them again. Guessing snake plates are not planning anothe run off spares ?
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

——
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Noproblem glad to help :thumbup: .and Thats one reason I made the d.I.y n 3d printing sections/threads in forum so anyone on here can learn and make what they needed ie face plates/benzels/knobs/etc for ther cb/ham equipment with the help from all tm1 members to share their knowledge and not rely on fly by night limited run companies or try to find it on fleabay and not have to pay a arm and leg for it $$$$ bro.cheers
Last edited by speeddemon on 05 Dec 2017, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

:ugeek: we have the technology. :geek:
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

For that info bro ya have to do the research on how thick paint layer is to look gd.cheers
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

That Chrome spray looks interesting. Having a really carp bezel to try on first is always better than doing it to your only example.

I would imagine it is a similar process to cleaning down any bezel in prep for a paint job.

Sand everything off and fill any scratches.
Sand again with wet and dry
clean off all dust
spray undercoat
dry
spray more undercoat
dry
very light sand
clean
Spray your chrome
dry
Spray the chrome again maybe? don't know it the chrome spray takes coats or not.

Edit:: just had a look and found this http://www.chromeillusion.com/
Last edited by Stronty on 05 Dec 2017, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
Can't help but love an Adams.

speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Hi stronty Ya its same processe as anything getting painted prep work had to be first class and had one coat /one shot at it no mutli coats deal as far as I remember I watched video of a whole car getting chromed yearz ago when I first heard of it was one shot /one coat paint job deal on utubey witch there have been tons posted vids since then on the subject everything from plastic hatz to glass. marblez getting chrome painted. That eastwood.com did a few gd vids on it on utubey. Things might hav changed since then where ya can do mutli coats I dont know. But ill check out the link you posted tys for Info .cheers n 73's
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

You couldn't easily touch up using that chrome spray pictured. It's a water-based product but only comes up like that after many coats with a good spraying system,usually onto a black basecoat. Great for larger items but not great for filling flaky bits.

The chrome paints are better than nothing. Modelling one like Humbrol are pretty good. I used one years ago on a Binatone 5star surround. It isn't very hard-wearing though and would get scratched easily as it's mostly for decorative use. "Chromealike" was the first teal aerosol spray product in the late 80's if I recall correctly.

You can't rub down chrome easily and then get a mirror finish with spray paints. The paint won't stick to chrome well, even with using etching primer. I've completely stripped off the flaking chrome and fillered/primed and painted the surrounds in the past. I sold off my last unfinished one a few months back.