PRESIDENT LINCOLN 2 + ANY GOOD PLEASE ???

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

PRESIDENT LINCOLN 2 + ANY GOOD PLEASE ???

Post by WARLOCK »

Having seen many bad reports about the lincoln 2 in the past , What about the lincoln 2 plus is this a good radio or not ,has anyone got one on have seen one in action,in other words are they any good or not ???
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Re: PRESIDENT LINCOLN 2 + ANY GOOD PLEASE ???

Post by cb4ever104 »

Yet another question . Why don't you buy one and let us all know for a change ??
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Loads of videos on youtube.

The Non plus version in V3 for seems better
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

Can't help but love an Adams.

ballo
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 19DD03

Post by ballo »

I had this transceiver for over a month. Gooed working , good RX/TX . The split function is nice because we have in the Netherlands a 11 mtr repeatersystem. I sold it because i like old school transceivers like Jackson or HAM international more.
http://www.pa3hgt.nl
President Veep 40 ch am/fm , President Jackson Classic 6 bands ,HAM International Jumbo 3/Multimode 3/Viking 3,Midland 7001 MK3,President Jackson 2 chrome/JFK Chrome/Lincoln/HR2600/Franklin,Dirland DSS9000F,Petrusse Ecalibur 2002.

Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

We'll find out in a few years when they start to go wrong, the number of engineers that can do SMT properly and will touch a CB is very few, anything over 100€ repair bill will render modern radios BER, and the SMT components are very cheap and nasty, so it won't be long before they start falling over, and there is no redundancy built into modern sets to cut down the price to the bare minimum, so a penny resistor failing can take the whole set out of service.
I like a radio to have a bit of weight to it and for the controls to feel smooth and positive, I have found modern radios to feel very hollow and the controls feel very flimsy and have no feedback to the user.
That said, I would buy another Anyclone 5555 variant because of the low cost and flexibility of the radio, I would not buy a Lincoln2 because I feel that the manufacturers price mark up is obscene, I imagine (but don't know) that they can only cost around $30US to make and package, and the UK retail price is around $345US.
If I were in the market for a Uniden export radio then I'd go for the original Mk1 Lincoln rather than the MK2.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

WARLOCK wrote:Having seen many bad reports about the lincoln 2 in the past , What about the lincoln 2 plus is this a good radio or not ,has anyone got one on have seen one in action,in other words are they any good or not ???
The Lincoln 2+ is by far, the best variant of the newer model. Good receiver, well made (way better than V1 & V2 of the Lincoln 2).
Great as a Dual band 10/12m transceiver and of course, once expanded, it will cover 11m. Band order is the usual crazy pyramid style, not in a logical order (for me anyway) but you have VFO mode.

What I do not like is that President chose to show the channel readout as the largest part of the display and the frequency readout the smallest. Should have been the other way round in my opinion I would have also liked to see a 5khz step option like the Optima.

All the problems of the initial Lincoln 2 are sorted. TBH, they sorted them in V3. The + brings more features but if you only want it for 11m, I don't see the point in the +
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
jkb

Post by jkb »

Ive got a used one coming in v3 flavour, I will let you know when I get a min.
I can compare it against some modern hf gear for what it's worth!
Everything modern has smt,there's no guarantee with anything in the long term. Many £1000 plus hf radios had issues from the get go. Many have made unfavourable comparisons with the Lincoln mk1?? The mk1 "vfo" skips and the rits go dolalley!!
It's misguided nostalgia!!!
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

How about thanking the guys who have given you advice? Would make a change :yawn:
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Buick Mackane wrote:How about thanking the guys who have given you advice? Would make a change :yawn:
:clap: :clap:
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

Good manners don't cost nothing do they, eh? ;)
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

jkb wrote:Ive got a used one coming in v3 flavour, I will let you know when I get a min.
I can compare it against some modern hf gear for what it's worth!
Everything modern has smt,there's no guarantee with anything in the long term. Many £1000 plus hf radios had issues from the get go. Many have made unfavourable comparisons with the Lincoln mk1?? The mk1 "vfo" skips and the rits go dolalley!!
It's misguided nostalgia!!!
I fitted a new encoder a year or so back to my MK 1 as it was skipping quite a bit and it cured it completely. However, the Lincoln 2 is extremely bad for this, even from new (especially the V1 & V2).

They fitted a better quality encoder to the V3 but it can still skip or remain on the same frequency if you turn the encoder quickly.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

It's a simple job to clean the encoder on the MK1 Lincoln's/2830's. The very early MK1's with the grey controls seemed to be worse for skipping than the later models, or often not changing frequency at all. Matters weren't helped by the radio's resetting themselves back to the zeros if you used the buttons on the mic or on the front of the radio.

A good clean of the disc, contacts and inner casings plus a pinch of the contacts to give them a better contact onto the encoder disc and they work as good as new every time.

As an aside, I'm with the other guys on this thread. A polite thank you wouldn't go amiss. It costs nothing and let's the lads know their input is appreciated. It's just common courtesy. Nobody can force you to, of course. But you may find that in the future your posts asking for help or advice go unanswered...
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

Post by WARLOCK »

HI to you all who answer questions on this forum expecting a THANK YOU for any help or no help you have given heres my THANK YOU also i would like to thank the many who do not expect a thank you , who just answer questions to help other radio users out ,i was told when i was young by my father if you dont know something ask that is the only way to learn ,It seems not on this forum ,As for common courtesy on here HA--HA--HA and i did say PLEASE when i asked my question Mr George / warlock/ 26TM134 what the hell have the faults on the Mk1 Lincoln/2830 which i have and enjoy , got to do with the question i asked anyway ???
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

I can only speak for myself , but I'm up to my neck with your PLEASE HELP !!!! questions . And I told you that a while ago . Someone who continually asks questions , and almost never says thanks . Here's a few of your latest "HELP !!!!" posts .
image2.jpg
I can't see a single thanks in any one of those posts ? There's probably about another 1000 similar posts . To be honest i don't think I've ever see you help anyone else . With all the stuff you buy I find that quite surprising . Maybe you have , but I haven't seen any in the CB section . Anyway . I'm happy to help anyone out here , but you've been off my list for a while . As previously mentioned good manners go a long way . Thought your father might have told you that ? Just to add . I get on with everyone on this forum . A forum is a 2 way street , but you've been driving along it on the one side for ages . And the writing in CAPS ..........Sorry if I broke any rules , or **** anyone off , but that's the way I see it .

Sammy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by cb4ever104 on 11 Jul 2017, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .