cobra 148 gtl dx

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Re: cobra 148 gtl dx

Post by Otter »

I can see that's got a PB010AA board. What's the serial number please Tom, so I can add it to the serial number list. (I can't make it out from the photo).
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Otter wrote:I can see that's got a PB010AA board
You almost had me Tim . There's me thinking . "How the hell does he know that .. ?" . Then I opened the actual photo :)
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Post by Tim »

Leave the front facia plate alone, just wipe it with a damp cloth. Most of these have those marks, it's a sort of corrosion that has ate into the surface through the top coating, caused by humidity and age, you can't and won't improve it by scrubbing with anything.
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

Tim wrote:Leave the front facia plate alone, just wipe it with a damp cloth. Most of these have those marks, it's a sort of corrosion that has ate into the surface through the top coating, caused by humidity and age, you can't and won't improve it by scrubbing with anything.
Some get the corrosion marks, others don't. I suppose it all comes down to the kind of life they've had. The NOS 148 I'm lucky enough to own doesn't have a single blemish on either the insert or the chrome bezel. But at the end of the day the 148 you have there is you're radio so you can choose to do what you want with it.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Tim »

Exactly, as you say, the owner is the only one that can choose a course of action. My original Superstar 360 FM was in a relatively open barn on a makeshift table with the rats and mice running over it for 26 years until I came back to radio last year and 'rescued' it and it worked and suffered no appreciable deterioration surprisingly. It's the top one in the picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

It does make you wonder what causes it. I have seen a couple of 148's with the pitted front, but never seen it on a 360FM

Those snakeplates inlays are amazingly good, and you would need to look carefully and know what you are looking at to tell one from an original.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Tim »

From what I've seen the replacement 148 inlays don't quite line up equally around the toggle switches, the coarse and fine symbol is not central to the 12.Oclock position of the knob and the Cobra snake symbol is a lot thinner.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

I have no problems with the switches on my one, they are designed to fit the 360/148 bezel and not the 3900 types like most of the others. (From cobraw@nksocks for example)

The only thing I can see is that the snake image isn't quite as clear as on the original, but you would need a really good pair of eyes to see it.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
Tom
Call Sign: BPO6O

Post by Tom »

cobra 148 gtl dx serial no 13001885