Alinco data cable

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Fastlad
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: 26AT265

Alinco data cable

Post by Fastlad »

It may seem a bit cheapskate but my local radio shop didn't have the data lead for my alinco dr135 .... so .... can I use a normal mini USB cable and just cut the red wire 5v ??? Sorry if this has been covered before but I couldn't find it

Thanks Chris
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Alinco data cable

Post by andymuza »

I don't think a standard USB cable is compatible even with the 5V disconnected.
I am sure there is some circuitry at the USB end of the cable. I may be wrong so don't quote me.

I will have a look at mine when I get home tomorrow and see if I can open it and take some photo's of whats inside.
I will not be commanded, I will not be controlled.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
richf
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 163TM008

Post by richf »

When I got mine a couple of years back I was advised only to use the Alinco cable otherwise damage may occur. I cannot confirm or deny this
However when I looked at the extended range I found it came with all the frequencies populated.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

I think the earlier AT-5555 type leads will work if you take the cover off and plug it straight into the board.

If someone can confirm that this would lork it might be a cheaper option?
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

You mean the USB programming cable? This is a serial to USB device, with the electronics in the big USB connector - so the radio itself has NO USB facility at all. In most cases, all these devices have common data protocols but differ in which pin connections go to which data line - and most use at least 3 pole connectors, which give a fair few combination possibilities.
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

Have a look at this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=52728&p=472903
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1