Looking for new ssb radio

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
John345
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM337

Looking for new ssb radio

Post by John345 »

Hi all
Have 2 questions 1 I have a midland 8001 xt for the car, can I get uk channels on it. 2 I'm looking for a radio for the house I use ssb can anyone recommend good one budget around £400.

Thanks
John
26TM337

[EDIT: Post moved to more relevant forum for better correspondence to the OP - Panteneman]
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Looking for new ssb radio

Post by Panteneman »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think these radios are on CEPT block (26.965-27.405nhz) with FM, AM and SSB. They're on the European frequencies, and not on the UK40.

This said, I think the removal of a jumper/wire 'widebands' the rig to cover 26-30mhz which will then cover the UK 40 and all other channel blocks from super low to super high.

Someone on here will come along an add some further input who know this particular rig better than myself.
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

what he means is, is it legal to use in EU mode and if you can get UK40 it's illegal to use..

but no one cares..
and if you have £400 to waste on a CB then you either need to get a HF set or see a doctor :)

i'd get a HF set, even a decent Kenwood 450S you'd have change, or you could find a cheap Yaesu FT-990 if you look around.
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

bigpimp347 wrote:what he means is, is it legal to use in EU mode and if you can get UK40 it's illegal to use..

but no one cares..
There's no mention of legality. The poster asked if it could go onto the UK40 - it could if it was widebanded, but I'm sure these are only on CEPT block in FM, AM, and SSB.
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

depending which 8001XT you buy one is only mid block, another is export but has no Kc shift,
the guys on ebay selling them 'UK legal' are selling you a mid band radio, yet to get UK40 they suggest turning a trimmer to 27.**1 un ware this is the TX frequency adjustment and the radio will sound awful on RX..

another seller without a clue selling radios to peole that get fooled into buying them.

just get an earlier 8001 and you get a 3900 in a midland box, won't go wrong then :)
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
jkb

Post by jkb »

What about a Yaesu ft450 at if you only want to use 1 antenna( they only have one antenna connection)??
dcwuk
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by dcwuk »

:wtf:
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
I'm commenting on an internet forum, why should your facts sway my opinion?
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

I'm with the pimp on this one, £400 can get you a lot of HF set, great for 11m, half decent SW set and future proofing if you take your ticket.

Or you could buy a mint Jumbo from eBay.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
TheCaptain
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM669

Post by TheCaptain »

You should certainly have lots of choice with £400 and a looked after second hand HF set would be my view, take a look at the Yaesu FT-840, compact, no menus, easy to use, variable power a great little HF set that does the business. You can pick a really nice one up for between £300 - £350, Of course there are lots of other brands to consider but having used this particular set they make a great first HF radio that has all the other bands on that you can SWL on and of course as already posted if you take your ticket then your good to go, good luck with it John and let us know what you go for.
"Wine for my men, we ride at dawn"
TheBigDawg
Regular
Regular

Post by TheBigDawg »

I sometimes think to myself with all these old junkie ssb rigs I keep buying on ebay I could have got myself a couple nice HF sets with all the money that I've spent on junk but I can't help it I see a cheap multi mode cb on auction and just have to have it even though I don't really need it {bnghd} I'm going to buy just one more and then I'm saving my money for a HF set something like the Yaesu FT-840 will do me nicely.
WMNC 92.1 FM
TheCaptain
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM669

Post by TheCaptain »

TheBigDawg wrote:I sometimes think to myself with all these old junkie ssb rigs I keep buying on ebay I could have got myself a couple nice HF sets with all the money that I've spent on junk but I can't help it I see a cheap multi mode cb on auction and just have to have it even though I don't really need it {bnghd} I'm going to buy just one more and then I'm saving my money for a HF set something like the Yaesu FT-840 will do me nicely.
I have one bigdawg and it's a keeper, mint condition, dust covered, and the best thing is they are so easy to use unlike the more modern Yaesu radios when your trying to get used to them that use the menu system.

Don't get me wrong those radios that have menus are also really impressive, I have a few myself 857d, 1000MP and they do the business but it's nice just to navigate around a radio the good old fashioned way with buttons and knobs that have one purpose. 840's are such a good choice if you haven't used a HF set before as you can't get lost or change something that can't be reset easily. They are quite a compact radio to, they don't take up too much radio room on your shelves...loads of good reviews on youtube which I'm sure you've seen so you get a feel of them.

Let us know how you get on if you get a good one :thumbup:
"Wine for my men, we ride at dawn"
andrew013
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT013

Post by andrew013 »

i have a ft840 bought it new in 94 as it was the upgrade from the ft 747 yes i had 1 and sold it to get the 840 , i got some extras for it at the time sold it twice and bought it back twice both times it came back more scratched than it left (i never scratched it ) :(
i bought the ft890 with built in tuner 2nd hand to replace the 840 but still got both and i still use 840 more than the 890 but i must admit the variable nb and notch and shift works a treat when my local interference gets to much BUT the 840 is still my fav of the 2 in the motor i had the ft857 now that is a cracker bought new but needs a bit of tlc my back up back up radio is the kenwood ts50 that gets very little air time now
on air,tyne&wear,northumberland,durham,holy island,eu120+eu124 and anywhere from gateshead/north wales
scrap uk 40 give cbers L/M/Hcalling on 27.355/555 usb qsy 27.015 lsb/410 usb cb radio is for life not just for profits
i do cb radio not 11mtres,countrys worked 2015 with imax 2000 72