President Lincoln 2 - Version 3

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
simonthewizard

Re: President Lincoln 2 - Version 3

Post by simonthewizard »

astradyne wrote:
Otter wrote:Do these Lincolns have the UK 27/81 channels 1-40 in them?
They do have the UK 1-40 channels, but not with UK 1-40 readout.
Go to a band like J which has frequencies in the 29-30mhz area

Change the channel one frequency to

and go though to channel 40

Radio will keep these channels and will not change till you reset it, so band J, I, H will stay at the 40 channels UK and in the right order

And why were the UK40 left out? SOLD AS AN AMATEUR RADIO NOT A CB RADIO which it is not type approved for.

So go buy one, you may enjoy it as it can be made 40 channels UK easily, no issues at all
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

simonthewizard wrote:So go buy one
Or maybe just use your money to buy something decent instead . Like the mk 1 .

Sammy
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
simonthewizard

Post by simonthewizard »

cb4ever104 wrote:
simonthewizard wrote:So go buy one
Or maybe just use your money to buy something decent instead . Like the mk 1 .

Sammy
Or a George as they are workers, same as Jackson1. At the moment here use more CRT9900 and Team 1011 and working exceptionally well
13EL121
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 13DA121

Post by 13EL121 »

I must say that my Lincoln 2 V2 works a lot better than my George. But the George has better FM modulation. RX and AM/SSB the L2 wins.
Tom
Call Sign: BPO6O

Post by Tom »

Hi can some one give me the address were you can have the up date done on the lincion 2 seems to be picking up a lot of static on ssb. thanks.
Kaos
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Kaos »

13EL121 wrote:I must say that my Lincoln 2 V2 works a lot better than my George. But the George has better FM modulation. RX and AM/SSB the L2 wins.
V2 is a winner everyday.

Better than the V3.

Send a V3 to STABO............!
13EL121
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 13DA121

Post by 13EL121 »

My V1 was modified by President in france. It is a champ now! My V3 was modified by stabo germany and its a Keeper too.
simonthewizard

Post by simonthewizard »

Tom wrote:Hi can some one give me the address were you can have the up date done on the lincion 2 seems to be picking up a lot of static on ssb. thanks.
See if the box has a sticker on it, either V2 or V3
IF it has V3 it is the latest version

If no stickers email Nevada as they are the big boys now with President and sure can modify an old one to a v2 at least.

V2 France is better than an original V3
V3 France is on a par with the V2

Like Ralf I use my V3 in the car and works exceptionally well. At home too noisy but in the car works as I say, superbly well
simonthewizard

Post by simonthewizard »

13EL121 wrote:I must say that my Lincoln 2 V2 works a lot better than my George. But the George has better FM modulation. RX and AM/SSB the L2 wins.
True, I have a George (ex013) and on FM Beats the V2/V3 but receive now AM/SSB the Lincoln II wins indeed :clap:
gentlemanjohn
New User
New User

Post by gentlemanjohn »

:wave: Well howdy! This discussion hasn't been touched in a while so I'll make this my first post.

I got an L2V3 2 months ago now for my birthday from the wife. My wife does not care much for my radio hobby really. After this birthday I know she absolutely and truly loves me as a mate. She asked my ham friends and they told her I'd been drooling over like 3 rigs and the L2 was the one I wanted. She's just swell like that. Anyways I digest.

I REALLY LIKE THIS RADIO! And this is why. It works better out of the box than any radio I ever had. The ssb is awesome. Right on the money TX/RX. AM the same. FM is good. Every HF SSB rig I've had went to the shop or later I aligned myself. I don't even feel the need at all to put the L2 on the bench other than to hook it to the scope and tweak out the power and modulation. The pots for that alll suck BTW. My first gripe is president is making me get down my magnifier to see the markings for what's what. Second who the hell decided to use one of the smallest adjustment pots I have ever seen. I never met a "young" radio tech and being 41 myself with glasses but needing bifocals.....I will admit that the tequila (we like our tequila in Texas) doesn't help either on the Saturday I decided to crack it open and put it into export mode and tweak it up. I stopped hooking it to the test bench when I couldn't read the printing without the magnifier and had loaned out my smallest adjuster. Which is what you need BTW to set the tiny ass micropots! {bnghd} Again I digest. I have several cobra's (148gtl, 148gtldx, 29 LTD, 29 lx, 25wxst) collected or given to me over the years. I have tweaked em peaked em. Done RX mods. TX mods. Realigned them myself or by a tech when I was not so old and hadn't time to learn. Out the box it kicks them all down. The 148gtldx is the only one that is close to it in my closet. I've used and traded off connex, uniden, president, ranger, emperor, radio shack, anytone, and probably more that I have forgotten. I got a Galaxy 959 with all the bells and whistles to make it a banshee and I really felt was the shiznit; until I got the L2. While this is only the 4th "export" radio I've had it is fantastic. Again I digest! Ok the echo. Yeah that's a royal phuck up there. Anything beyond 1 1 delay and time is useless outside of aggravating people. It sounds slappy but airy. It's ok at the 1 1 setting. The knobs are too polished. Difficult to grab if your not paying attention. Which I shouldn't be messing with the radio when I'm driving anyways, right? The price tag was steep but so was my rci 2950. But I didn't have to put schottkys in it to RX better. I didn't need to align it out of the box or let it warm like nearly every other radio I have used (exception to that is 980ssb it was the same dead on no drift at less than a minute of tx)so as not to hear "your a bit off frequency" regularly. The first day I used the L2 talking to the folks I usually jabber with noticed I sounded way different. Crisper than my cobras, not as bassy as the 959, but hella clear and they all liked it. Ham friend with an all tricked out L1 said he wants one and he likes my L2 over his L1 and can not believe how good it is out of the box. In the end I like this radio in my car. The 959 is going in the shack along with its shoes so I'll need to tune down or get a bigger power supply in the shack. Already worked DX in Canada, nearly all the US, Mexico and southern republics, Bahamas, and Puerto Rico at 4300 elevation with a wilson 1000 mag mount on a suburban with my L2. How many can say that about your radio out of the box? I never have until I got this L2.
tony2803
Call Sign: 163TM2803

Post by tony2803 »

There is a TV program dedicated to what you can do with the Lincoln 2 (Any Version) its called Scrapheap Challenge.
I have had a President Lincoln 1 for 8 years and it has never let me down,
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

13EL121 wrote:My V1 was modified by President in france. It is a champ now! My V3 was modified by stabo germany and its a Keeper too.
Mine is a modified (by President) V1 to V2. Works very well indeed. No idea what it was like prior to having the work done as I bought it off a mate who bought it new. He sent it off to France to be sorted out. He did say the SSB RX was abysmal though.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
beamer320i
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by beamer320i »

I bought a Lincoln II V2 from a fellow TM1 member recently and have to say I'm pleasantly surprised!!

We all know the story behind these, so I won't bore you with those details. I'd always steered clear of these give the bad reports, etc. but when I seen this one advertised on the site for a fair price I thought it was worth a gamble. As previously mentioned, it's a V2 with documentation from President in France and email copies detailing the work done.

First thing that struck me was the supposedly dreaded channel change, it doesn't skip at all and feels positive. Next thing was the receive, no jumping signal meter, no spikes, just a lovely, clear and sensitive receive without having to back off the RF gain - signal meter is accurate and steady. Transmit on all modes is also excellent. I can honestly say (and I'd never thought I'd say this!) that I really like this radio (apart from the OTT echo, but I don't use it so not bothered). I have even took it to my rig doctor for a second opinion and he was complimentary about it, having given it the once over.

Of course I don't people's opinions to change about these radio's (especially those who have never used one ;) ) but credit where credit is due, it's a little cracker (in V2 form, at least!) The bad press (and deservedly so with the first batch) means these radio's will never be popular or be well thought of.

Should President have got it right first time round? Yes, of course but they didn't, they tried to make amends (fair play to them) but the damage was done.

Have they learnt from previous mistakes? Apparently not, judging by the comments regarding the Jackson II Chrome and other sets. And that's a shame as President was (is?) a name to be reckoned with.

Is the Lincoln V2 a classic radio? Hell no, I still prefer my 'original' Lincoln but just wanted to give some credit where it's due.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Nice testimony gentlemanjohn, if I were in the market for such a thing then I may well be swayed by that.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
gentlemanjohn
New User
New User

Post by gentlemanjohn »

Yep! I hear ya. It's the same thing my ham buddy says. L1 will never let him down. And it is a nice radio the L1. I just like this radio. And I dunno what I was thinking, elevation here is 450 to 600 feet. :oops: