President Lincoln 2 - Version 3

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
simonthewizard

Re: President Lincoln 2 - Version 3

Post by simonthewizard »

razmouk wrote:Some people seem to have an opinion to share, yet haven't had the radio?
That's bizarre!
I have a L2, and it was pants with all the known faults. It was returned to president, all free of charge, with unbelievable customer service and communications, then returned back to me very swiftly.
I now have a really fantastic radio, end of story!
If the V3 is an improvement, I'm jealous because mine is superb as it is.
I'm honestly belly laughing at the bull some people come out with in here. In all my years on cb, I've never been more pleased with a company, as I am with president, stunning in my opinion.
You can't see the wood for the trees so they say, and no doubt true of some of the posts on this forum at times.
Since all the bad words around I feel no need to comment anymore about this radio. V1 was a dog. FINE, but not all had a fault and indeed some people think the ones with V2 are spoilt because nothing wrong with V1. SO that means something was right, something was wrong. :!:

How many people had an Anytone 5555 or DX 5000 on here? Hands up.

V3 had errors and the customers cried and then bought V4
V4 turn on the ASC and the s meter stopped working and people cried. Customers waited for the V5
V5 Some had RF Rain, people cried but bought it in thousands and thousands. Could not program it with the old version software, people cried.
V6 People bought it to see they have V6 software on the V5 board and the people cried.
V6 Board and V6 Firmware came along soon afterwards.

Common thing is that people cried, some cried and did not invest just sat like Buddha smarting at how clever they were not to buy it. President are the first company who dealt with Qixiang and changed the radio in production and not wait for another batch. And for all those who foolishly write "Butchered Radios" "Crap Modified" " Too much solder" and all the rest of it IT WAS PRESIDENT and not the Chinese who found the mods (no circuit diagrams of course as Qixiang don't supply them to anyone) and sat and changed the radios in house. Better a board with visible mods than a radio that you cannot use? That is my opinion as I do not use the radio with the case open to see it inside.

How about dropping back to the AT5555 and its saga on the air.

Nevada, Truck King, Radiozing and all the others did they offer free collection, free pick up, free work, free upgrade and free return delivery on these radios? Add to that Intek, Hannover, CRT, Maas how many got all the errors sorted in production and then did all repairs for free and deliver them back? Kucha Hans fixed the radios for people at a cost remember him? He was the man who did all the work the manufacturer could not make. The rumour is still strong that one person sent a V4 to China and they looked at the mods and from this came the V5.

V3 is leaps above the V1, and only a few steps up from the V2. Channel change is better, firmware integration is better, way buttons behave to the firmware is better, receive is better. An S0 voice which is fresh air on V1 can be worked on V2 and worked easier on the V3.

V3 Buy one, it is a simple process you part money and then can have an opinion. I have here a V1, V2 and V3. If people only talk and talk and don't invest then the market is smaller.

AE5890EU More errors than a horse with two legs and are they modified or changed or updated for free? NAH Icom 7410 has an power over run and is that also fixed for free? NAH and the list of radios with errors can fill another three pages. DONT LIKE MY WORDS am sure M0OGY has a V3 from his sources so see his video and comment there. I can only comment simply on keying the mike. And at the moment the V2 and V3 here are better workers by at least 40% to my Grant II which is now relegated to the box as the others are better, simple as that.
UGLY_BOB
Legend
Legend

Post by UGLY_BOB »

I agree with Simon. Too many people happy to "cry" and perpetuate myths on new radios without buying one.
Going back to the AT5555 radios - I bought a V3. It worked a treat, despite a few fickle problems. But certainly not enough of a problem to spoil my enjoyment. I still have the V3 (it was badged as KPO) and still enjoy it. I felt that the 'improvements' made to the V4, V5, and V6 were not (IMHO) worth ditching the V3... and I will happily use the V3 til it turns it's clogs up.
We can get a little obsessive compulsive over new radios. Don't let minor development issues spoil your fun. It's not as if some of the 'legendary' olde school radios were ever 'perfect'.

Ugs
EXTREMELY WEIRD... AVOID AT ALL COSTS !

108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

Have only owned a L2 v1 so can't comment on any updated version's but one thing I would say is if a car manufacturer recall's a vehicle it doesn't come back with v2 on it it is just fixed.
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
simonthewizard

Post by simonthewizard »

UGLY_BOB wrote:I agree with Simon. Too many people happy to "cry" and perpetuate myths on new radios without buying one.
Going back to the AT5555 radios - I bought a V3. It worked a treat, despite a few fickle problems. But certainly not enough of a problem to spoil my enjoyment. I still have the V3 (it was badged as KPO) and still enjoy it. I felt that the 'improvements' made to the V4, V5, and V6 were not (IMHO) worth ditching the V3... and I will happily use the V3 til it turns it's clogs up.
We can get a little obsessive compulsive over new radios. Don't let minor development issues spoil your fun. It's not as if some of the 'legendary' olde school radios were ever 'perfect'.

Ugs
The post was not to **** off people. Radio is a hobby it is not life. I have a V6 firmware and V5 Boarded 6900N got it for almost nothing on ebay. Channel change is a bit iffy, the buttons are a tad loose but key the mike and it works. So now based on this I need email CRT and ask for a repair or a new one as not as I want it. And am sure there answer is well known without printing it. President did there best. For some was enough, for some who never had the radio was not enough.. Far too many people spit there dummy over this radio. It is as it is. Don't like it, don't buy it.. Don't moan about it as you don't have it leave that for those who spend the money.

Will there be a V4 I have no idea at all, don't think its needed as V3 does all it says on the tin. And with the FM audio it is improved and widened although a little stronger if you use a different mike leave that turned down to 1-4 and the mike gain on the radio between 22-27 as without that it is WELL TOO LOUD
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM552

Post by RadioPixie »

I agree with STW and UG. Many ye olde rigs had their quirks, alignment issues, and mods. There is plenty of Lincoln Mk1 with encoder issues, even back in the day after a few years of use.

I think some people expect a £2000 performance from a £200 radio.

If someone wishes a smallish 11m radio that is flexible to set up for the user, offers modern facilities, variable to 100watts, has no echo or public address, and has quality receive and transmit, then buy a FT857D. Oh, there about £700 brand new. There you go!!

Just read Skyscaper's comment. That is a valid point. V2 sounds more like marketing and customer appeasement.
73 from Dave the Pixie - 26CT052 - 26TM552 - CB Radioaficionado
Anthony123
Call Sign: Gw0

Post by Anthony123 »

Simon...How does one service and repair the Lincoln 2 if as you say... (no circuit diagrams of course as Qixiang don't supply them to anyone) ... Would you buy a car that you couldnt service... would you buy a Kenwood knowing you wont be able to get a service manual..or a schematic diagram.. so when it goes faulty.... what do you do....keep sending it back and forth to President....Ha .... The fiasco gets worse..
simonthewizard

Post by simonthewizard »

Anthony123 wrote:Simon...How does one service and repair the Lincoln 2 if as you say... (no circuit diagrams of course as Qixiang don't supply them to anyone) ... Would you buy a car that you couldnt service... would you buy a Kenwood knowing you wont be able to get a service manual..or a schematic diagram.. so when it goes faulty.... what do you do....keep sending it back and forth to President....Ha .... The fiasco gets worse..
President have service staff in France, Poland, Germany and other places. They all had radios and they all invested time and found the errors. And this is now going to be worse as Qixiang in legal argument over some products that were copied by another company so makes the situation even worse. Radio technicians you imply are stupid as need a diagram? Kucha Hans fixed 5555 and Lincoln II no diagrams, President drew there own diagrams and fixed it themselves.

Got a diagram for a IC7410 don't stop the errors at £1400
Got a diagram for the IC7100 don't help the errors being fixed either

Another old chestnut from the past " Id never buy a Jackson II coz they blow finals on fibreglass antennas " YES WAS TRUE IN 2007-2008 but the radio is changed since its inception and continues to be updated when new things come along. So people can invest, just because something was bad in 2007 don't mean its bad in 2014

But sometimes it is easy to sit with a radio from 1981 as have a diagram for it. FT857D ceramic issues and had a diagram, did that help it be fixed? No

AE5890EU has diagrams and does not stop the errors and mistakes
AE7500 has circuit diagrams to download and don't help much either

How long a list do you need? I don't see the need of the words actually as many radios with diagrams have as many faults as those without diagrams. Technicians are smart and that's why they are technicians I guess and indeed I know today 4 Lincoln II radios being worked on in Poland, Armenia, Germany and UK with no diagrams and with different work to the President PDF Upgrade so seems some people can fix and work easy enough
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

So we have to buy a radio now to have an opinion ??? Don't think so . I have 2 eyes , AND I can read .
It's a sad day when we have to compare a "Lincoln" (all bow) , to an "Anytone" whatever . I stand by what I said previously . They have balls'ed it up . All down to the fact that that they couldn't be arsed doing any after production testing .

S.
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

There is one thing that stands out in the "Versions" no matter what the brand or model!

How does the Customer Know for sure what they are getting without opening up the radio to look at board revisions?

I know we have a serial number after X for the Grant II but what about the Jackson II for instance, how do i know I'm buying the most upto date one and not one that has sat on a shelf for 18 months or 2 years etc?

I think to revise and improve is good news, I'm just slightly worried that we do not always have a clear and precise way of telling and with that you have to ask yourself why that is? :o
Can't help but love an Adams.

Anthony123

Post by Anthony123 »

Simon... So your saying that once the warranty has run out and the radio goes faulty that everyone sends there radios off to your friend Hans...quote..( Radio technicians you imply are stupid as need a diagram? Kucha Hans fixed 5555 and Lincoln II no diagrams, President drew there own diagrams and fixed it themselves.) so you would take your car to someone who didnt have a service manual... What are the valve clearances....Answer dont know mate i havent a service manual.. Ile just guess... Yeah right.... would you take your radio to someone to be serviced and set up with out any info on it, No schematic , No voltage chart for fault finding, No pin outs for the IC's.... Come on i dont think so.. So who is going to fix these Lincoln 2's when they go duff.... Im all in favour of new radios and such but come on.. this is just stupid.
Anthony123

Post by Anthony123 »

I also Never said as you have implied ' That radio technicians are stupid ' Where in my post did i say that ?

DONT ASSUME Simon..... Im just saying that there should be much better info out there for these radio's.. trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes wont work today........Perhaps you with ALL your wisdom Simon. could suggest for us lowly CB uses that who ever makes and designs these radio's that they bring out a service manual...
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

Well I've just come in after a hard day sticking metal together and seen my name mentioned again so I'll clarify things again. :geek:

I replyed on a previous thread Kaos to the reason my V1 was sent back to France for upgrades or as we in the Engineering trade call "fettling".
But sadly you missed my post or decided not to reply.
As I stated the radio I have didn't have massive issues like some, but it did have a warble on SSB RX.
Remember all my videos allow comments and thumbs Up :thumbup: -Thumbs down :thumbdown: , I don't censor any of them, people can say its good or a POS , don't believe me :?: check out Charlie Oscar's comments. :lol:
I choose not to do as many did countless videos comparing it to Oldskool stuff, but I did show a Lincoln 1 later as a reference.
I did inform the manifacturer of the "possible" issues as soon as I tried it.
Just remember having the first one is a double edged sword as how do I know they are all the same, good or bad.
The answer is I don't .
In the video I said people expected the "Second Coming of Christ", again in my opinion there were far better radios than the original Uniden 2830/Lincoln 1anyway ,don't believe me try an Adams or a Belcom LS102L.

Anyway I decided to send it back to France as many did and it came back a far better radio in the end. :D

Now then to address The Wizards's comments, indeed I do have sources but I'm sure many are the same as you have, lets be honest you receive things on the same day as I do, maybe a coincidence,or the Radio Goblins at play , who knows the main thing it does offer the end user comparisons from more than one person.
Plus there is always CB Radio Magazine in the States to check out too.

Oh and indeed I do have a Version 3 radio here....so you are correct in that quote :clap:
Sadly due to the paying job it may be a day or so whilst I get round to filming it .

Dave M0OGY.
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM552

Post by RadioPixie »

Dave Oggy said: In the video I said people expected the "Second Coming of Christ", again in my opinion there were far better radios than the original Uniden 2830/Lincoln 1anyway ,don't believe me try an Adams or a Belcom LS102L.
Absolutely, the way the Lincoln 1 is talked about by some that it's the best rig ever. It wasn't. It's OK, but that was it, just OK performance. The real benefit was the frequency coverage, frequency read out, ease of use and for it's day it was fairly compact. If you had been using a crappy Hy Gain 5 or Nato 2000, then the L1 would of been WOW.

Adams is high quality and a standard that would be too expensive to produce today for a 40ch AM/SSB rig.

Belcom LS102 was a really good rig and had superb audio. Only problem was dry joints and FM receive as wide as a barn door.

Cobra 148 GTL DX and Stalker ST9 FDX was a better rig watt for watt than the L1 especially on AM/SSB, but the L1 is more sensitive on FM receive.

Here's a design fault on the Lincoln 1 that doesn't get discussed. It actually doesn't step in 100Hz. It's a digital to analogue VXO that steps in pseudo 100 Hz. Don't believe me, try it out on a 10 Hz resolution frequency counter and you will see what I mean. But generally it doesn't effect the performance that much.
73 from Dave the Pixie - 26CT052 - 26TM552 - CB Radioaficionado
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

So what's the v4 like compared to the v3 Dave lol ;)
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
simonthewizard

Post by simonthewizard »

Anthony123 wrote:I also Never said as you have implied ' That radio technicians are stupid ' Where in my post did i say that ?

DONT ASSUME Simon..... Im just saying that there should be much better info out there for these radio's.. trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes wont work today........Perhaps you with ALL your wisdom Simon. could suggest for us lowly CB uses that who ever makes and designs these radio's that they bring out a service manual...
TYH Are in dispute with Qixiang and this is not my fault. Qixiang don't really do service manuals. These are things not anyone can address. They told me that since we have had "intellectual property stolen" we wont release manuals to anyone. But If you google you will see that a German man Is doing his own service manual. So later at a cost there seems to be one coming. What I am saying is that even with service manual some radios with issues are NOT fixable.