Tristar 515M

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Ashtec
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: M6LTD

Re: Tristar 515M

Post by Ashtec »

This radio is based on the Stag 357 40 channel CB radio with the (LC7120 PLL) the 10.240MHz Ref divider Xtal is removed & a Very simple single JFET variable frequency oscillator is wired in the 10.240MHz Xtals place. The HI & LO band frequency is done by the PLL's program pins. The VFO knob drives a planetary gearbox to give slow motion drive that is connected to the VFO's variable capacitor. The frequency counter takes its input frequency from the VCO to a Mixer FET were mixed with 7.800MHz. The 7.800MHz IF frequency is taken away from the VCO output frequency and the frequency thats left is displayed on the LED frequency display of the radio sadly there is no SSB off set frequency that is displayed on the counter but the counter is dead on in AM-FM mode.
The C displayed stands for clarifier & the U displayed on the display Stands for Modes ie. U for USB mode. A for AM mode. F for FM mode. and L for LSB mode.
bernado
Regular
Regular

Post by bernado »

Good Morning!
I'll get one more time to speak!
I have my Tristar now equipped with a DDS VFO!
She is now very stable frequency!
The frequency counter now shows the correct frequency, ie, AM-FM USB LSB all the same!
Even a decent FM module has been inserted!
The area is about 26-28 MHZ!
The unit runs great!
The frequency counter you can get at Maurer from Austria, you just have to shrink the segment displays!
Also the FM module you get there!
mfg
Bernd
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

Hello

Tristar 515M on Ebay

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/CB-Mobilfunkgera ... 1c4de95622

@+
Claude
Photo Collector CB RADIO
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

bernado wrote:Good Morning!
I'll get one more time to speak!
I have my Tristar now equipped with a DDS VFO!
She is now very stable frequency!
The frequency counter now shows the correct frequency, ie, AM-FM USB LSB all the same!
Even a decent FM module has been inserted!
The area is about 26-28 MHZ!
The unit runs great!
The frequency counter you can get at Maurer from Austria, you just have to shrink the segment displays!
Also the FM module you get there!
mfg
Bernd
Interesting there bernado i my self have not played with any dds VFOs as of yet im a bit old school is the any chance of some pictures of your DDS radio?
bernado
Regular
Regular

Post by bernado »

Good Evening!
Yes, it is possible in the near future!
My girlfriend took my camera on holiday!
If she are back again, I can take photos!
It must be mounted because the output power is too low nor an amplifier for the DDS module!
I have long been used in order to gather these findings, because none of the people which information is to know!
It can now actually each CB unit rebuilt!
You've also another VFO installed?
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

bernado wrote:Good Evening!
It must be mounted because the output power is too low nor an amplifier for the DDS module!
I have long been used in order to gather these findings, because none of the people which information is to know!
Interesting ive had a good look about the internet today about DDS conversions to radios and it dose look simple to say building a Analog VFO.
I take it your using the AD9850 or AD9851 Generator module to feed the vco or are you feeding it to the 10.240MHz Ref divider pin of he PLL keeping the PLL?
bernado
Regular
Regular

Post by bernado »

Exactly that's all!
Quartz out and DDS connect!
It must be a sine wave signal with high output power of about 3 - 4 volts!
bernado
Regular
Regular

Post by bernado »

My next project is a President Adams to rebuild with DDS VFO!
Iam searching for a suitable frequency counter for that! I do not want to rebuild my original Adams VFO for it!
cjay
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: cjay

Post by cjay »

Ashtec wrote:
bernado wrote:Good Evening!
Interesting ive had a good look about the internet today about DDS conversions to radios and it dose look simple to say building a Analog VFO.
I take it your using the AD9850 or AD9851 Generator module to feed the vco or are you feeding it to the 10.240MHz Ref divider pin of he PLL keeping the PLL?
Replace the offset crystals with the DDS signal, step it in 5KHz increments for Cybernet, 10KHz for Unidens, works a treat. I've added a cheap AD9850 module to a Lafayette 1200FM and it works really well.

Of course you can step in larger or smaller increments and FM needs to be applied to the VCO instead of the offset crystal (FM modulating a DDS takes some serious coding and processor power but is possible)

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lXaof9owww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMemJouive8

Is my code and project which I must get 'round to finishing.

As Bernado says, you may need a buffer stage to raise the output and there's no reason to limit yourself to 5 or 10KHz steps, you can step in MHz or less than 1Hz, the only reason I started there was to make the radio stick to the CB channel spacing.
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

Thanks there cjay i did read your post some time back as well as watching your vids on your project DDS but forgot to repost back on this subject...
I did get all in to Modifying my Realistic TRC448 with DDS and brought a UK made DDS kit but that was put aside to make my own DDS unit with LED display read out but then Summer came so the lot's been put away for winter as now the suns back out im back on renovating the house...
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

bernado wrote:Exactly that's all!
Quartz out and DDS connect!
It must be a sine wave signal with high output power of about 3 - 4 volts!

What Buffer amp did you have to build to get an out put of 3 - 4 volts bernado...?
Retro_CB_Dude
Regular
Regular

Post by Retro_CB_Dude »

Ashtec I'm sending you a private message please respond ASAP thanks 73's !
mof000
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mof000 »

He hasn't been on here for quite a while. That said he may get an email about your PM?
I'll pay whatever i think it's worth...:-)
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Hello to all does anyone have a schematic or service manual for this.. ?
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

speeddemon wrote:Hello to all does anyone have a schematic or service manual for this.. ?
Hello

Please look at this link

Electronica SS 701 (same as Palomar SSB 500 ou Universe 5500)

http://www.funkbasis.de/viewtopic.php?f ... 26b5a33ef1

@+
Claude
Photo Collector CB RADIO