Jentec Cobra MK V

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
PoisoN
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Jentec Cobra MK V

Post by PoisoN »

If you want to pass the radio down to a son, great news im up for adoption!! :lol: :lol:
26-TM-266
Handle PoisoN
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

I know how it feels to own a radio you just won't part with. I've owned countless radio's over thirty years. Some I've kept for months, some weeks, others hours. By far my favourite has been my President George. I bought it brand new from knights in March 2001. It was Cept only when it came out of the box and the owner opened it up for me while I waited and had a nosey around. Anyway, Ten years on it's still here with me. It's great knowing no-one's had their fingers in it turning this and tweaking that. It will still be here in 2021. It cost £239 I think.

So, nothing to do with the Jentec; but I understand the personal meaning of a radio. Although like the other people who've posted on this thread I wouldn't pay that much for a "CB" radio.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
radio pete
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26EY49G7xxx

Post by radio pete »

Tomcat wrote:Firstly thanks to Cobra SFX and UB for their comments.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I know the majority will think I am mad!

I’ve been a Collector for years and I have a number of CB’s that cost me £250/£300 plus and at least one other I paid over £500 for. But a really nice MKV has always eluded me somehow. As I said previously I missed the chance of this very MKV last year when I knew it’s history and condition. Yes, I know £700 is a big figure, but I wanted a good one and I could end up waiting around another 10 years for one that’s really nice, but a big cheaper!

Up until recently I was waiting, but recent events in my life have made me have a big re-think. A month ago I was an avid biker, with by 1000 Repsol fireblade. But I watched my best mate die, killed by a car driver turning across his R1’s path........... and two little children under 10 now have no dad. Sort of makes you think, especially as I have a 3 year old son. So the bike is up for sale and the MKV has been purchased from funds already made selling off bike accessories (namely £1500 of Ohlins forks). Decided you should live your life day by day, making the most of each one, as you don’t know which will be the last! So I'm swopping the bike in for the MKV, as my radio shack isn’t likely to kill me.

And this particular MKV was always of interest to me. I would be interested to know if RadioPete has any info to confirm or deny this, but 15 years ago when the original owner had this very MKV (number 268), he told me it was the very last one John made with the Green frequency display. That could be cr@p, but If’s it’s true??.........then that’s a bit like owning the very Last Capri or Aston of the production line! A piece of history for a collector.

I will greatly enjoy using this MKV, it won't just sit in a box and it can be passed onto my son.
Realy sorry to hear obout your mate there Tomcat & I think you have done the right thing as for the Mk5 was it the £620 CW one or the £700 one you bought ? the £620 was one of my builds does your one have a lable on the inside speaker case ? can you post or PM me some pics of the inside ? then maybe I can shed some light on it, are you local to Kent ?
CobraSFX

Post by CobraSFX »

Just post the pix here so we can all benefit from it and drool a bit too maybe :lol:
SSB Call: [26-AT-123]
SSB Call: [26-TM-703]
FM Handle: [Cobra]

An owl in a sack worries no man
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

PM sent to Radio Pete.
Tomcat (Handle since 1979),
26CT122
26FB144
26TM166

All the Old Skool: Ham Jumbo MK1, Tristar 848/797/747, Lafayette 2400FM, Nato 2000, Superstar 2200, Cobra 148GTLDX, Superstar 360FM Stealth, Dirland Superstar 3900F, Cobra Transceiver MKV, plus loads more!
superstar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by superstar »

I'm with ugs on this one, if you want something and you have the money then get it, your only here once, I've paid lots for things I want and will do so again, if there's something I want on eBay and I get into a bidding war, I just whack a rediculus amount on just to win. So good on you Tomcat I'm pleased for you!!!
Buying and hoarding CB radio's is an illness
Cb handle
1980-1993, "AL Capone"
1993-present, "Superstar"
occupation-running a retirement home for elderly cb radios
Fozzy Bear dont care ya know, so er thats the story!
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

Apologises for the delay in loading pictures of the MKV, got called away with work. It's eprom board 268 dated 2/94. This actual eprom board in pictured on the CWS MKV web page. Radio has a serial number sticker on the side of the chassis, with what looks like Japanese quality control RX and TX stamps. Not sure if this means it was a Cobra 148 of a Superstar 360 originally??

Tomcat (Handle since 1979),
26CT122
26FB144
26TM166

All the Old Skool: Ham Jumbo MK1, Tristar 848/797/747, Lafayette 2400FM, Nato 2000, Superstar 2200, Cobra 148GTLDX, Superstar 360FM Stealth, Dirland Superstar 3900F, Cobra Transceiver MKV, plus loads more!
PoisoN
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by PoisoN »

VERY nice indeed :D
26-TM-266
Handle PoisoN
UGLY_BOB
Legend
Legend

Post by UGLY_BOB »

It's a thing of beauty :) Well done matey. I hope you get great pleasure from it. :mrgreen:
EXTREMELY WEIRD... AVOID AT ALL COSTS !

CobraSFX

Post by CobraSFX »

Thanks for sharing the photos Tomcat, shes a real beaut 8)

Wow heres another one ...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cobra-148-GTL-DX- ... 3a6819c403

Ashtec
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: M6LTD

Post by Ashtec »

Tomcat wrote:The Jentec is 100% genuine. I know the full history of this radio. it was one of two owned by a guy in london who knew John. I knew the guy, although not well and he had them both for years. He sold one of them off last year (this radio) and I tried to buy it, but missed out. It's very close to mint and apart from one case totally original. The guy who purchased it (who is on TM) had CWS service it, hence the seals. The internal pictures were taken prior to the service. The new owner is after an HF set hence why it was for sale, but as soon as I saw the number I realised it was the same jentec that I knew all about. So it was me that just paid £700 for it.
£700 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Will any one give me £700 for my one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: my one is nummber 59 off the line.

Ashtec
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: M6LTD

Post by Ashtec »

I did put my one up for sale on here as make me an offer and the best will buy but the best offer i had on it was £250 and the lowest offer was £50 so some time soon ive got to list it on ebay but i may relist it on here one more time before banging it on ebay.
CobraSFX

Post by CobraSFX »

Hmm so i had the best offer in but i didnt get it :shock:

Perhaps you should have stated a minimum acceptance price or what your REALLY expecting for it ;)

UGLY_BOB
Legend
Legend

Post by UGLY_BOB »

CobraSFX wrote:Perhaps you should have stated a minimum acceptance price or what your REALLY expecting for it ;)
Well everyone on here was aware of how much Paul bought it for... so it wasn't rocket science working out how much his minimum offer might be. But incase you missed it - it cost him £410 plus P&P.... Nobody's expecting him to part with it for less than that surely ?
Ugs
EXTREMELY WEIRD... AVOID AT ALL COSTS !

CobraSFX

Post by CobraSFX »

No i wasnt aware of that Bob thanks for enlightening me ;)