mk1 cobra 148 gtl-DX

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
fidelity1000fm

Re: mk1 cobra 148 gtl-DX

Post by fidelity1000fm »

By the time you add an expensive mic, change components and add a big burner it's hardly the same rig really is it?
:mrgreen:
wheel bender
Veteran
Veteran

Post by wheel bender »

Once you have a good antenna and power supply, and a decent mic that fits all your radios then a realistic comparison can be done. What stands out to me is the tx audi tone and rx receive. If both are reasonabley good pleasant to listen to then it's got to be a good radio.I've had requests from local breakers to put my adams on complete with bleep? Because in their words "they could listen to it all night". The only radio that isn't getting much use at the moment is my petrusse pacific 160 but I got really good reports with that last time on my bench. With copies into wolverhampton on a comtron VIII from Stoke I'm quite happy with my setup. I just hope my latest antenna repair has fixed my comtell ar 5/8. I might run my mk1 off against the pacific this weekend?
Wheel Bender 1982-88/ 2007- ???
27+ countries since 2007
keeping the older radios on air. Not in the cupboard or the past.
80ch legal- America on ukfm- CB radio can be better 2nd time around.
mpg1965
Regular
Regular

Post by mpg1965 »

iv just got hold of a 148 gtl dx and im not sure if its a mk 1 or 2.how can you tell????reading through,it seems like the mk1 has a lazy rf needle,the one i just got is a lazy one.seems normal with a pre amp on,but its the norm.it seems to have a mod done to the channel 9 switch as when you put it on the channel display,ie,channel 33 high band,flick the 9 switch and it goes to channel 39.if you go in to the 20's and flick the 9 switch it goes to 29 and so on.it does go somewhere cos the signal and noise changes.iv yet to try and find it usin another radio.....any ideas anyone.its also had a roger beep put in it but i cant find how to turn it off.any ideas?????.i took the bottom off to have a quick look and there is a green box screwed to the side with 2 thickish wires comin out of it and it dissapears under the the channel selecter.i also found 2 different tone wires that were cut.again,usin the tone switch,flick it and it goes somewhere else.its doin my head in and i cant get to my other radios for the next week or so to find out where the hell these switches are takin the radio to.....as ever folks,any help is welcomed......
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

The most reliable way to check is to take the cover off and have a look at the board.

PC-879 is Mk1 and PB-010 is MK2

Mk2's generally have the serial number starting 130 Mk1's have 030, but as serial number plates are easy to swap this isn't always a reliable way to tell.

The layout of the holes in the back panel is also different on both of them.

If could be that it has a UK40 Eprom on the channel 9 switch. Most of the time the band selector will need to be in the Mid position for it to work. If you switch on the UK40 eprom whilst the band switch is in the Hi or Lo position you will end up on some odd frequencies.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
PoisoN
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by PoisoN »

You can short either D7 or D8 (but not both) that should cure the lazy needle it did on mine.. now getting my mate 30 mile away at 7-9db depending on what power he's running. Which is the correct signal for him. Before I shorted D7 I couldn't get him over 3db. I think the Mk1 sounds the best on ssb on receive. But find the tx audio a bit bassier than the Mk2.
26-TM-266
Handle PoisoN
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

The mk1's better just for the beep alone :)
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

The AM RX isn't very good on the Mk1, it sounds a bit flat like on a Jackson or Lincoln 1
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

Ashtec
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: M6LTD

Post by Ashtec »

Odd old radio i loved how the FM was an afterthought.......
cjay
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: cjay

Post by cjay »

Ashtec wrote:Odd old radio i loved how the FM was an afterthought.......
How so? With it having the silk screen and copper for the FM demod and TX components I'd have said it was designed to have FM.

If it'd had one of those FM boards like the Madisons, Ham Viking Mk1 or the many Midland 'AM' rigs then it would be an afterthought
Ashtec
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: M6LTD

Post by Ashtec »

cjay wrote:
Ashtec wrote:Odd old radio i loved how the FM was an afterthought.......
How so? With it having the silk screen and copper for the FM demod and TX components I'd have said it was designed to have FM.

If it'd had one of those FM boards like the Madisons, Ham Viking Mk1 or the many Midland 'AM' rigs then it would be an afterthought
Well as you put it like that its not as bad as some i just didn't like the little PCB's all over.. Didn't the little PCB's carry the FM varactor diode to inject the FM Mod to the VCO....
Tom
Call Sign: BPO6O

Post by Tom »

I have just got a mark 1 mint untouched undecided weather to keep it or look for a swap or sell I like the ss3900 or Jackson :D
163TM847
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 163TM847 »

Tom wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 17:12 I have just got a mark 1 mint untouched undecided weather to keep it or look for a swap or sell I like the ss3900 or Jackson :D
Be prepared to have your inbox filled from members with offers :lol:
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Not many untouched minters around!

Swap you for a Harvard Good Buddy radio??? Lol ;)
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

The Mk1 is better on SSB and FM than the Mk2 IMO

But the early 3900's and 5 Band Jacksons are very good as well.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

astradyne

Post by astradyne »

A rarity indeed. I truly believe that a completely untouched 148 will outperform any that have had extra bands added (even the Jentec's). It's nice to flick the Ch9 switch and the radio goes to channel 9 instead of God knows where.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...