laffeyette telsat 805 on air.....

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
wheel bender
Veteran
Veteran

laffeyette telsat 805 on air.....

Post by wheel bender »

I finally got hear one of these beautys on air last night. It had plenty of power and the audio was loud enough....but one of the people on channel summed it up with " I wouldn't have one of those radios as it only sounded good on aM !"
I wouldn't be so harsh as I found him readable on ssb, nice on aM. The fm mode was loud enough but sounded to us as if the reverb (as the echo sounds more like a reverb to us) was still on when turned fully off. It seemed a little harsh. The standard mic it came with sounded awfull! I'm certain with a little work the radio would workas good as it looks.
Wheel Bender 1982-88/ 2007- ???
27+ countries since 2007
keeping the older radios on air. Not in the cupboard or the past.
80ch legal- America on ukfm- CB radio can be better 2nd time around.
Ashtec
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: M6LTD

Re: laffeyette telsat 805 on air.....

Post by Ashtec »

wheel bender wrote:I finally got hear one of these beautys on air last night. It had plenty of power and the audio was loud enough....but one of the people on channel summed it up with " I wouldn't have one of those radios as it only sounded good on aM !"
I wouldn't be so harsh as I found him readable on ssb, nice on aM. The fm mode was loud enough but sounded to us as if the reverb (as the echo sounds more like a reverb to us) was still on when turned fully off. It seemed a little harsh. The standard mic it came with sounded awfull! I'm certain with a little work the radio would workas good as it looks.

Thats a bit of a shame then i would think that the standard mic's are crap as they are with most radio's and ny the look's of it the echo board is'nt much good still the radio is from the 1980's it's took rf limited years to make an echo board to sound any good just think back to the 80's when we went mad buying Altai echo mic's :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: They all way souned like you had your head stuck in a dust bin :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: But we still had them :lol: :lol: :lol:
26TM003
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M3VUI

Post by 26TM003 »

Will be very interested to hear how you get on in practice as time goes on, I have spoken to a few around here on air that have bought this radio and everyone is disappointed with the audio on all modes.

FM Clipping, SSB sounding nasely and SSB signal appearing to be very narrow banded and difficult for others to tune to, as if on a knife edge.

I agree about the echo board to....

I hope for you it is just the mic, but I have already changed the mic for a cple of others only to be told the audio becomes worse.

Silver eagle was awful, worse then the standard mic, maybe some mics match better with this old school cyber-net?

I intend to remove the echo board and update one of the resistors but still have the narrow band issue to deal with and i don't think rx sounds as clear as it should do, however long I try to tune for...

Do I expect to much, I hope not...

Keep us informed :)

Regards
Test
UGLY_BOB
Legend
Legend

Post by UGLY_BOB »

26TM003 wrote: maybe some mics match better with this old school cyber-net?
My old Marko sounded sweet with a 'Turner JM+2/U' as do many of those older cybernets.

The batteries are getting rarer though.
Ugs
EXTREMELY WEIRD... AVOID AT ALL COSTS !

Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

UGLY_BOB wrote:
26TM003 wrote: maybe some mics match better with this old school cyber-net?
My old Marko sounded sweet with a 'Turner JM+2/U' as do many of those older cybernets.

The batteries are getting rarer though.
Ugs

Bob is right there the Turner JM+2/U is a dam good mic for these old set's i dont know much about the PTBM131D4X pcb's as ive never had one or looked them up if it was the PTBM125D4X then i would say get the FM audio mod done as this will stop the FM Clipping SSb i dont know what can be done may be if you send it out to a good rig doc to test it out and check to see if it's fully aligned and these radio's have be sat about for some time so may be some cap's may of dryed out over time.
There has been afew complaints about these rig's and some time's it make's me think was this lot of rig's a bad bach of radio's from years ago and is thet why this lot have been stored out the way until now we all know that you can buy job lot's of untested good's............................
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

Some time ago i brought a Job lot of new used boxed aero engines 270 of them i was thinking i was doing well with this lot i got them for next to note and there was me thinking i was going to make a killing selling these on ebay.
But later on i found out that these engine was faulty and wasnt right i was told later on that the factory that made them had a fault with there milling machine's but no one had noted this for a few day's so they made a few engine and boxed them up but after a few day's they found that the milling machine had a fault and the had to scrap the engine's they had made but you know how it is the man at the back door loading them in to vans and selling them off out the back door's of his van for a drink down the pub..........................

Tungsten batteries in Market harborough was much the same you could all way's get a cheap battery for your car but the only problem was they was back to front + was - and - was + :lol: :lol: there was all way's some one that could get these out the back door before thy got scraped :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I bet there is still council garages full of them with some one waiting to move them on one day when it's not so hot to move them on........................

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
wheel bender
Veteran
Veteran

Post by wheel bender »

I'm sorry about being so harsh on the telsat. back in the 80s this would have been a lot of radio. But things have moved on. We've grown to expect a little more clarity. To recap, the radio is a stunner to look at. The fm is passable and the aM is great but you've hit the nail on the head with the ssb 'knife edge' narrow and if you have more than one station to tune to, can be a problem. Some one on here has a major m788 and I'm sure it's the same board ? The m788 is reputed to sound great on ssb. So alot of the trouble might be coming from the 'reverb' board that doesn't seem to turn off. Would anyone take this board out and put a turbo echo in instead? This might cure the clipy fm. I don't have one of these radios I'm only reporting how one sounded to a group of us in Stoke at the weekend. There will ba string of mods that will move this radio up into the classic bracket. I'm sure, so don't be in a hurry to sell them on.
Wheel Bender 1982-88/ 2007- ???
27+ countries since 2007
keeping the older radios on air. Not in the cupboard or the past.
80ch legal- America on ukfm- CB radio can be better 2nd time around.
dxswe
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 21TM006

Post by dxswe »

When I removed the echoboard in the 805 my locals say that
my modulation sounds great like the Lafayette 1005 AFS..
So the orginal echo board do the bad modultion from this transciver.
It easy to remove it,check the all wirings to board and then cut it of.
The modultions wiring to the chassie mic plug must be there.It's pin
number 1.Take the wiring and solidier to the micgain adjust.
Volia the radio sounds great again..

For the am modulation in my 805,my dead key is 4 watt sving to 14 watt p.e.p :D
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

i'm using a Turner on my saturn and midland 8001, best sounding audio i've had for a while..
batteries are easy to find, check a post i did with cheap batteries..

i will get another soon, when i can win one for less than £10..!!
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

as for the telsat..

as darren says..

bear in mind, these are old rigs in the 1980's thats all we had, with mics like the expander, tear drop and echo mics..
so the cobra, jumbo, multimode, etc would have been the norm..so the audio would have been normal..

but now being spoilt with HF rigs for less than £200 and HF sounding audio, mics and RX these older rigs sound naff in comparison..

so forget what they sound like now, just think about 20 years ago, they would have sounded great..

and also think, these have their original mics, how they should be, unlike most rigs now days with different mics, changing the audio from good to bad..

give me a genuine older rig any day..!!
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

I done the same with Telsat , changed the R159 resistor and the FM audio was excelent no clipping , also take that echo board out and the audio will improve on all modes as it is on all the time , but doing those mods will make it sound excelent with a good quality mike :-)
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

So change the R159 resistor dose work for these radio's and dont forget to set the FM deviation when this mod is done.
So then it must be a cast off from the PTBM125 pcb then the Major m788 isnt the same pcb there wheel bender the pcb in the M788 is the same as the mk3 cybernet's ie jumbo mk3 concorde 3 ad the multimode 3 which was a PTBM 133 it look's the same but it is'nt.
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

Im not a big fan of the Turner hand mic's they work well but they do my hand's in after some long overs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I run a mk 3 cybernet from time to time with an Astatic 575-M6 Ceramic Teardrop and i get good report's with it all so i use the Astatic 575-M6 on a RCI 2950f and on the mk5 cobra lol will the mic go's on all my radio's 10/11 meter radio's to the hf/vhf radio's with good report's on FM as well as SSB i think get rid of them echo pcb's do the FM mod back the Power down on the AM side of thing's to get the modulation back up.

And for SSB get a dam good mic..............

There is one good base mic that work's with most radio's and thats the zetagi mb+4 or the +5's
dxswe
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 21TM006

Post by dxswe »

I found a IRF 520 power transistor upgrade at the youtube.
It's seem very easy to do.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5PFhOexaB4

A clip to a made a EN369FN components http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jybhai9G ... re=related
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

dxswe wrote:I found a IRF 520 power transistor upgrade at the youtube.
It's seem very easy to do.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5PFhOexaB4

A clip to a made a EN369FN components http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jybhai9G ... re=related
Im not being off with you mate but i think my self your best to stay useing the original tried and tested transistors.