Improving car radio FM reception ? - Advice needed

The place to discuss long distance TV and Radio Reception. Equipment, Antennas and anything to do with the art of DX.
jack_sparrow

Improving car radio FM reception ? - Advice needed

Post by jack_sparrow »

My last car had a huge FM antenna as standard and was great for receiving 88-108 but my new car is extremely poor with even strong local stations coming through weak

The question is then, is there any easy device or antenna that can be purchased to improve the signal received by a car radio?

Thnks in advance
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

Could it be faulty? If even local signals sound weak, it can't be right. Have you asked if you can compare it with a similar car in the showroom?
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
jack_sparrow

Post by jack_sparrow »

Ive checked the coax and antenna and connections and all seem fine - but its one of those antennas that lay flat against the car at an angle as opposed to the straight antenna - this is why i see it as quite ineffective and need something better
5thElement
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 5thElement »

Replace it with a more vertical one? as for particular models i dont have a clue! a trip to Halfords might be in order? lol
2E0XGA
jack_sparrow

Post by jack_sparrow »

Yeh possibly - i just wondered if theres any such signal booster available for car radios as there is for indoor
5thElement
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 5thElement »

Preamps are a waste of time and you really shouldn't need one for FM broadcast stations! i'd imagine sorting out a better antenna will cure the problem, unless it's just a crap receiver?
2E0XGA
jack_sparrow

Post by jack_sparrow »

Good point but its a brand new stereo - but I know that doesnt really account for anything so Ill google this model now n see if any other users report this with it
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

Is it the factory fit head unit or one that you've fitted yourself? Some of the factory fits power an antenna amp up the coax so new stereo = no volts = no signal.
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.
tom129
Regular
Regular

Post by tom129 »

the antenna goes through the window to through feeds on the window if the window is damaged the radio will have a poor signal
delta79

Post by delta79 »

I have a problem with the radio in one of the works minibuses. the signal fades in and out, i put this down to a fault in the auto gain control in the radio itself. It's a pain but there is not much i can do as it a works vehicle
The_Prisoner

Post by The_Prisoner »

If the radio is not up to much, adding a pre-amp/signal booster will probably cause overload and stations will appear in places where they shouldn't.

The simple answer might be to change the radio. Second hand Blaupunkts often go cheap on eBay.

Car radios are not usually a problem so it could well be a fault.

Don't anybody do what we did and stick one of those little ping-pong ball sized smiley faces to the top of the aerial. This has caused a break in the connection over a short period of time on both my own and my wife's car.
26-TM-1000 "The Prisoner"
PoisoN
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Improving car radio FM reception ? - Advice needed

Post by PoisoN »

try this im shure it will work my stepdad had this problem he got a brand new ariel with coax already wired i fitted it plugged it in and the signal was fuzzy and crap even local stations i dunno if its an antenna thing or a head unit thing?? Im guessing its a head unit problem but heres what to do.

Instead of using both inner and outer coax shields just use one the inner one i think is the one thats needed leave the outer shield without contact to the plug.

and you should then get it clear as a bell.

worked for my stepdad when i installed his.
M3VBS
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by M3VBS »

PoisoN wrote:try this im shure it will work my stepdad had this problem he got a brand new ariel with coax already wired i fitted it plugged it in and the signal was fuzzy and crap even local stations i dunno if its an antenna thing or a head unit thing?? Im guessing its a head unit problem but heres what to do.

Instead of using both inner and outer coax shields just use one the inner one i think is the one thats needed leave the outer shield without contact to the plug.

and you should then get it clear as a bell.

worked for my stepdad when i installed his.

That indicates you have a short between earth and antenna, either in the cable, the mount or sometimes the fitting cage of the head itself.
Black_Pirate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM034

Post by Black_Pirate »

is there an earth on the radio.... some have an additional earth connection on a spigot on the rear ....
its possible... :?:
looking for propagation for 2013 and beyond... Operating close to the Edge....
of reason......and the Quantocks...
Didi modes (JS8 on 27.245 usb) txt messages via radio lol at minus- 10 to 20 db..... 😊 See FB page...

26T.M.034
GOOD LUCK IN DX
M1bto

Post by M1bto »

Have you tried it out of the car? With just a simple antenna from halfrauds or dare I say a coathanger which should pick up more than adequate , that will tell you if the fault lies within the radio or the car antenna system or even borrow someone elses antenna if it's one o the unscrew jobbies ;)