DRM radio (digital am/shortwave)

The place to discuss long distance TV and Radio Reception. Equipment, Antennas and anything to do with the art of DX.
stratocaster
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

DRM radio (digital am/shortwave)

Post by stratocaster »

Hope I have posted this topic in the correct place!

I've been following the exploits of DRM radio (Digital Radio Mondiale) and although it seems Asia may well adopt this format of broadcasting, it seems to have been snuffed out in Europe due to DAB. I was wondering what everyones thoughts are on this. I was looking at acquiring a DRM receiver, however the availability and reception details are to say the least,a bit sketchy.
You can never have enough radios!
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: DRM radio (digital am/shortwave)

Post by Admiral »

Rather than splashing out a wedge I played safe and use an SDR dongle and software for the (very) few DRM stations on HF.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
stratocaster
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by stratocaster »

I will hold off until I see what happens regarding this format. You probably have the right idea in using an sdr facet and the software for computer. Keeping a check on the DRM website(s) to see what if any progress is being made and as to what countries are or may adopt this format. I didn't realise that where I am here in Edinburgh there was a DRM trial back in 2011! I read that most if not all of the receivers that were in production have now been discontinued! maybe that is a sign of things to come for DRM?
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

DAB (or a derivative) will probably win in asia, as the factories are already churning them out for us here in Europe, so those with an interest in flogging them will be lobbying hard for DRM to be kicked aside I would imagine.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Post by Tigersaw »

It was supposed to be the answer to enable quality broadcasts on SW beyond the continental boundaries.
Its all but dead now that we have other mediums including the internet.
stratocaster
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by stratocaster »

I was thinking along the lines that Mr Weetabix and Tigersaw has posted up. The discontinuation of some receivers should act as an indicator, although the DRM bods did have an exhibition and push for standardisation of what DRM format to use last year. This year they meet up in Baden, Switzerland to discuss progression of DRM! It's this month on the 10th and 11th. So is it flogging a dead horse or is the will strong enough to have another format of broadcasting means? Have read this source on the Radioworld website.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

I think that they are watering a dead flower, SW was, and may still be the band of choice for remote places in Africa and Australasia and they (the broadcasters) possibly thought they could bring digital radio to billions of people, then they realised that they were as poor as a churchmouse and wouldn't buy anything from their commercials, DRM seems to have died the same death as satellite radio did in the 90's.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition