how to improve DAB reception

The place to discuss long distance TV and Radio Reception. Equipment, Antennas and anything to do with the art of DX.
owza
Call Sign: M0

Re: how to improve DAB reception

Post by owza »

>DAB is rubbish, its ok if you want to listen to mono MP2 quality "Digital" audio at home. It gets even worse if you have one >on the move like in the car or have one portable.

There are a few DAB+ stations out there now, using slightly better aacPlus
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

Just bought a Roberts DAB radio/CD player/USB & SD player. The signal is great and the sound quite nice and clear. I have used a car with DAB and analogue before. I was driving around rural Aberdeenshire and there where bits where DAB staccatoed like a **** and I had to switch to analogue.

I've got analogue on my big stereo and my Tecsun PL-660 so I'm sorted either way.
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

DAB could be acceptable at max quality, but they ram so many channels onto each doobrey that the bit rate cuts right back and it ends up flat and dull sounding.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

Well, I'm not sure they needed to do it beyond "Hey, this is new, analogue is old and new is always better". I hear it chews more power too.

However, I've decided to cover both bases in case the f****rs switch off analogue.
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Post by Tigersaw »

To answer OP. Someone gave me a stack system DAB, and it has an F type input.
I made a J-pole for 220Mhz, choke at the bottom and checked it with the analyser.
Its much bigger than the crappy dipoles they try and sell, and mounted vertical I get 50+ radio channels, all with no bit errors. Sounds OK, though I only listen to radio2/4 on it after all that.
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Post by Tim »

We will never get any DAB reception where I am, when the analogue TV was switched off it was said that there would be no more co-channel interference or dropping out of the signal, well, that was a bloody lie!, when we have high atmospheric pressure we get a black screen with a box in the middle with blue script saying 'channel not available' or 'no signal'. We were led to believe that digital services would not be problematic.
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

Norway is about to switch off FM and the bulk of Norgys isn't too gruntled over it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... f-fm-radio
troffasky

Post by troffasky »

Farty wrote:DAB could be acceptable at max quality, but they ram so many channels onto each doobrey that the bit rate cuts right back and it ends up flat and dull sounding.
BBC Music Jazz popup station in November. 64kbps mono. Unlistenable.
stratocaster
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by stratocaster »

Best if you can get a DAB+ compatible receiver then you can listen to Jazz FM, lower bit rates, but better sound quqality than standard DAB only just!
You can never have enough radios!
troffasky

Post by troffasky »

The only reason I've got the DAB radio I have is that one of the neighbours left it next to their bin...yoink! I certainly wouldn't pay for a DAB radio. There's nothing on DAB I would listen to [apart from a 1-week-a-year station] that isn't on FM.
Black_Pirate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM034

Post by Black_Pirate »

weird though it is.........low reception is improved in my solid brick office by.......wait for it...a bulldog clip ...A large 3/4 inch one of course....clipped to the end of the antenna....
see you on Dragons den as its not copyright.obviously if your near a window,thats best.
looking for propagation for 2013 and beyond... Operating close to the Edge....
of reason......and the Quantocks...
Didi modes (JS8 on 27.245 usb) txt messages via radio lol at minus- 10 to 20 db..... 😊 See FB page...

26T.M.034
GOOD LUCK IN DX