TV Video senders

The place to discuss long distance TV and Radio Reception. Equipment, Antennas and anything to do with the art of DX.
handyguy2002

TV Video senders

Post by handyguy2002 »

Hi guys

I dunno if this has aready been thought off,,
But when analogue TV ends, do you this ofcom will give amatures the frequancy to use for dxing tv. If so, how far will a video sender transmit with a external antenna,,

just a thought ,,,,
Binatone 950
QuanSheng TG-UV2
TYT 380 + TYT 9600
Kirisun S780
Uniden +BCT15x + BCD396t +BCD536 hp
HYTERA PD505
WHISTLER TRX2
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Re: TV Video senders

Post by bigpimp347 »

about 30 years ago i was watching TV and late one night (after midnight) after close down (remember that :) )
i did a bit of TV scanning, i came across a Pirate TV station using BBC2
just a bigger thought.
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
Dagnabbit

Post by Dagnabbit »

The band remains in use for digital TV, with the top end reserved for 4G mobile phones, so there's no look-in for amateurs who already have plenty of room to play with TV at 1.3GHz and above. The band is far too valuable (quite a wide space on the bands, at a wavelength with excellent propagation characteristics) to give away to amateurs or go unused.

An old video sender would probably go an impressive way (line of sight) if wired up to a beam, with a correspondingly aligned beam at the other end to receive it. When I was a teen I connected my ZX computer (RF on ch36) to a set top aerial and got a snowy b&w picture over to the other end of the house on a portable there with another set top aerial. Must have been about 2 rooms worth of DX distance :D

(I can't remember if I used my aerial amplifer pre-amp box or not, I suspect it was probably involved)

That was using power levels designed to be acceptable on a direct connection. A video sender would be a lot more powerful, as it would be designed to provide snow-free full colour reception over the air, a similar distance, with just telescopic whips. Combine that power increase with better, longer, beams and I'd be surprised if you couldn't make it a couple of hundred metres at the very least.
handyguy2002

Post by handyguy2002 »

The sender I have is an old one with a antenna and that worked couple houses either side of me when I had it turned on, it was not clear but it worked, but had to stop using it when channel 5, game consoles, videos where tuned to the freq, although I could have changed the freq on the sender, it was such pain to find a freq that no one was using,
Binatone 950
QuanSheng TG-UV2
TYT 380 + TYT 9600
Kirisun S780
Uniden +BCT15x + BCD396t +BCD536 hp
HYTERA PD505
WHISTLER TRX2
acl777

Post by acl777 »

Where can I find amateur tv today in the location of Norwich. The story of finding a pirate on bbc2s frequency after midnight is interesting. I regularly scan for Dx but get very little other than Belguim tv.