TV DX Problems.

The place to discuss long distance TV and Radio Reception. Equipment, Antennas and anything to do with the art of DX.
acl777

TV DX Problems.

Post by acl777 »

Ive noticed that my communal horizontally polerised aerial pointing south in Norwich towards Tacolneston cannot pick up vertically polerised signals. I had hoped during strong tropos it would but ive noticed during tropos my scanner stops on stations/ch numbers it wouldnt usually but cannot lock a signal.My suspicions were confirmed when in flat conditions it stops for several seconds on West Runton [a neighbouring local relay which I believe is vertically polerised] channels but never picks up any signal strength to lock on to. In order to receive foreign dtt Dx do I need to buy a uhf aerial and vertically polerise it and balance it on a chair on my balcony? This makeshift method is the only thing I can do other than to hang on and hope my horizontally polerised aerial will eventually pick up foreign dtt during very strong and intense tropos. Any advice would be great .Thanks.
Revengant
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: G4TUP

Re: TV DX Problems.

Post by Revengant »

I know this is an old post but thought the answer might be of use to future readers.

For UHF reception (Band IV and V) you need the aerial to be the same polarisation as the transmitter, othewise you lose a lot of signal.

For Band 1 DX (48MHz to 62MHz) the aerial can be either polarisation, no matter what the polarisation of the transmitter. This is because the atmosphere can continually change the polarisation so neither vertical or horizontal win. However, if you built a circularly polarised aerial this would give the best reception.

As many who are interested in TV DX will know, there are now (July 2013) only a handful of relatively local Band I analogue transmitters, they're all in either Eastern Europe or Greece. However, the more powerful ones are quite copiable in the UK when there is Sporadic E conditions. You've really only until the end of 2015 to receive these before they go off-air for good.

A useful up to date map is here:
http://www.ukdx.org.uk/tv/txmap.htm

FYI, I use a Goodmans 5" C520 multistandard TV connected to a 6m horizontal dipole at 20ft for Band I DX.

RevenG.
acl777

Post by acl777 »

Thanks for the info. Since the original post I've gone on to receive the Ukraine and Iceland via SPE on R1 and E4 and Belgian and German DTT muxes via tropo. Have you received much so far this year?
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

As much of Europe goes digital, TV DX will die off. :-(
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
acl777

Post by acl777 »

It's not as good as it was during analogue days but getting Belgian and German DTT isn't bad going. Plenty of dxers in England have also received French and Dutch muxes. Only a couple of weeks ago 4 German muxes came in on CHs 29/32/35/40.