classic fm cumbria transmitter

The place to discuss long distance TV and Radio Reception. Equipment, Antennas and anything to do with the art of DX.
commzreceiver
Regular
Regular

classic fm cumbria transmitter

Post by commzreceiver »

Anyone know the location (height/line of sight etc) and power output of the classic fm transmitter in the Cumbria area?

The reason i ask (i am not a classic fm listener!) is that i stay in glasgow and for years you can pick up the signal which is weak but clear on 99.9mhz on a good clear night with very basic hi fi radio and antenna.No fancy dx equipment or beams etc.

Must be pretty high up?
dcwuk
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: classic fm cumbria transmitter

Post by dcwuk »

I think this may be the site not sure about power output though
http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/morecambe-bay.php
here is the main site
http://tx.mb21.co.uk/mapsys/google/classicfm.php
very interesting, good post commzreciever :)
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
I'm commenting on an internet forum, why should your facts sway my opinion?
5thElement
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 5thElement »

Is it not just a relay? maybe im missing something lol but how do you know its coming from cumbria?
2E0XGA
commzreceiver
Regular
Regular

Post by commzreceiver »

"..........how do you know its coming from cumbria?"

You have a good point!

I am ASSUMING it is originating from cumbria.

Based on the fact that the cumbria transmitter/relay is on 99.90MHz and thats what i receive it on and its a very weak but clear at times-signal,which if the transmitter is up high with a line of sight direction towards glasgow,it could be that.

Its been there for years so it has.Sometimes you cant hear it and sometimes it appears so i couldnt see it being anywhere else?

I suppose a bit of direction finding could resolve it.Can anyone else hear it?

see their frequencies at
http://www.classicfm.co.uk/on-air/ways- ... -fm-radio/

thanks for the replies.
crusty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crusty »

Most likely a harmonic or receiver overload from 101.7MHz. Re-checking with a more refined receiver will confirm if this is the case or not.
commzreceiver
Regular
Regular

Post by commzreceiver »

Thanks for the replies guys.

I was down south earlier and have just returned.

While i past cumbria i stuck radio on 99.9MHz for Classic Fm.I listened to it (not a fan of classical !)and sure enough i received on the car radio right all the way up to just past the big windmill type things on your right as you come up the hill on the M74,and then glasgow blackhill tx etc is in sight.

Still tuned in however as you past the Hamilton services it went alsmost completely before returning ever so slightly before joining the M8.

So my point is,it must be the Cumbria transmitter and judging from the signal,must be pretty powerfull and up with a very good line of site from its location.

When i have recieved it on different receivers in the house on a clear night,the signal is weak but clear and also very narrow bandwidth(doesnt help that RADIO 1 and REAL RADIO crash over it with there local signals).

Fairly interesting but it has been there for years and i thought others would have came across it.I found it while listening to the 2nd harmonic of a baby cordless monitor(when i was experimenting with it!).

Would be interesting to know its location height and power output.I know classic fm are a fairly large station and the 101.7MHz signal in glasgow is pretty well strong but i thought the boundaries would have been set for it not to be received this far out?

Just thought i would add this info for anyone interested.
o_blackburn

Post by o_blackburn »

99.9 MHz will be from the Sandale Transmitter in Cumbria. Certainly not a low power relay at 250KW ! :)

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/sandale.php

http://fmscan.org/ml.php?r=f&t=2800468

I can receive it here in Wakefield if I point the beam that way! Same with Black Hill, Divis, Wrotham etc.

73 Oliver
radioenthusiast2011

Post by radioenthusiast2011 »

Not long in the house.Doing a bit of driving via Newton Mearns,East kilbride and Stewarton areas and i have to say this 99.9 signal was received very clear via my car radio.EK was bit scratchy at times however excellent signal from cumbria.
The information given states 250kW but what antenna set up is the site using anyone?