Hamsterley Forest - mobile - 08/05/10

Home of the Tango Mike DX Group - Transmission1's very own CB/11m DX group. All club related chat, QSL Card downloads and membership issues/requests to be posted here.
HD462
Regular
Regular

Hamsterley Forest - mobile - 08/05/10

Post by HD462 »

Just a quick note to see if the guy I was talking to today is on here. I was mobile in Hamsterley Forest and picked up a few guys chatting on UK Ch40. Didn't think I'd pick anyone up actually as I was down in a dip. I managed to make contact with one of them, he could hear me but only faintly he said. He was talking to a guy called Maurice / Morris who was coming through to me very strongly but couldn't hear me, I think he was using a burner.

I heard the guy I'd been talking to mention Tango Mike but couldn't make contact with him again, he said he was around the Stanhope area. We moved onto the top of the hills overlooking Wolsingham and could still hear 'Maurice', but still didn't make contact.

Anyway, just posting to say if the lad from Stanhope area reads this, is was me you were talking to. Good to make contact.
Mark.
Midland Alan 48 Excel Multi / Sirio Mythos 9000 (mobile)
Magnum S9 / Sirio Megawatt 4000
Uniden Bearcat UBC-780 XLT Base - Uniden Bearcat UBC-3500 XLT Handheld
Midland Alan 42 Handheld / Numerous PMR446 Radios
qwedsa182
Regular
Regular

Re: Hamsterley Forest - mobile - 08/05/10

Post by qwedsa182 »

yer i was actualy on the channel and we go on there everyday 2:30 to 3:30 i hear them speaking to u and supposedly u could here me im phill but im afraid you where back of the box with me
qwedsa182
Regular
Regular

Post by qwedsa182 »

i was the on in ferryhill
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by g0slq »

HD462 wrote:Just a quick note to see if the guy I was talking to today is on here. I was mobile in Hamsterley Forest and picked up a few guys chatting on UK Ch40. Didn't think I'd pick anyone up actually as I was down in a dip. I managed to make contact with one of them, he could hear me but only faintly he said. He was talking to a guy called Maurice / Morris who was coming through to me very strongly but couldn't hear me, I think he was using a burner.

I heard the guy I'd been talking to mention Tango Mike but couldn't make contact with him again, he said he was around the Stanhope area. We moved onto the top of the hills overlooking Wolsingham and could still hear 'Maurice', but still didn't make contact.

Anyway, just posting to say if the lad from Stanhope area reads this, is was me you were talking to. Good to make contact.
Hi Mark and you too Phil. That would be me as I had my call, 26TM-026 relayed to Phil . I was going to mention that I posted on here as G0SLQ but it upsets people doing such things (similarly if I was to say I was 26TM-026 on 2m). Aye, that was me, the fool on the hill! up at a place called Horseshoe Hill - on the road from Stanhope to Blanchland at approx 1685ft or thereabouts.

I was using the new 9ft whip on my Maycom 80ch FM set with just the 4w. I was hearing people very strongly which I put down to the high location. I later discovered everyone was using linears and high power, which explained why I was not getting back as well?

I must say though, some people I was receiving with genuine S9 signals and they could not hear me! - it begs 2 questions. What the hell power were they using to produce such a signal and how inefficient is their receive? - For the record Phil, you were 5&5 and I know you said you could hear me back of the box. Ferryhill was but 20 mile from my hilltop location so you should have heard me. You were the same signal as the lady I spoke to (Possibly Maurice's mother - I know it was someone's mother) so something was going wrong somewhere.

Yes Mark - I heard you and tried to get you brought in - eventually I did as the others weren't hearing you at all! I believe you said you were in Hamsterley. There was also another net or group around about the same signal as you, possibly in Yorkshire. Apologies as with hindsight I should have took you with me onto another frequency and let the others get on, however it was difficult. I assume you were mobile as you said you re-located. Sorry I missed you. There was no distance stuff, but as it was the first time I'd been hill-topping in a long while it was interesting to see how things have changed. As I say I was using 4w as it was a test for my new 9ft whip as opposed to shoving a few hundred watts out of it. Fortunately I have several aerials to fall back on, though it has to be said it was sunny up there but freezing and blowing a right proper gale! - not the day to be changing aerials every to minutes lol.

There is also a net on ch38 muppets. A lot of lads in and around Ashington, Northumberland so listen out for them when next you're out and about.

I will probably be out and about more now that the footy season is finished and a good way to spend weekends. I will be using the 26TM-026 call so if you do hear me, by all means give me a call as I try to figure out the best combination of radio, power and antenna. I also have a few more locations to try as well.

Perhaps you can let me know where the place to listen or call is these days as I have no idea about legal FM having been on ham bands for so long.

Steve
G0SLQ website
Icom IC-7100 + two patchleads and a broken PL
HD462
Regular
Regular

Post by HD462 »

Hi Steve and Phil, yep I heard you both no problem. We were at the top end of the Forest Drive, parked up in 'something' Hole, forget the name, but it was a narrow valley. I heard the name Phil mentioned, also someone (you) mention Tango Mike, and someone (Maurice?) asking what Tango Mike was, which prompted me to post on here when I got home. I could hear you all fine, but obviously some couldn't hear me as I was only 4w mobile.

I did hear Maurice, and I think it might have been Phil again when we relocated to the hilltop above Wolsingham, I tried to jump in at the end of their conversation when Maurice kept saying nighty-night, but didn't seem to want to go....lol. But they must have all gone off at the same time, as no reply.

I did hear a few guys on Ch38, picked people up on quite a few channels as we moved around actually. Seems to be quite a few around the Bishop Auckland / Consett area.

You could obviously hear me ok, as I heard you say 'hang on a minute on the side', so I stood by, and then heard you ask me to speak. What sort of signal strength were you getting off me if you can remember?

Been up round Dalby Forest in the North York Moors today, airwaves not as busy down there though. Thanks for the replies guys.
Mark.
qwedsa182
Regular
Regular

Post by qwedsa182 »

well i cant remember what signal i was getting but as far as i heard the others where getting you loulder than me and im not that far from them but was good to get some other people on in the area
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by g0slq »

Readbility 5 but little signal - probably S3 but radio hasn't a "proper needle" I could hear you well enough, but of course the others were stronger so had to wait until they were quiet, and then the competition with the others further south kicked in lol. I know the area you were in, and Hamsterly can be an RF hole .

Best to stick to the tops like Chapel Fell & Nenthead etc.

Steve
G0SLQ website
Icom IC-7100 + two patchleads and a broken PL
HD462
Regular
Regular

Post by HD462 »

I know what you mean, it wasn't a chosen spot to try to make contacts from. We just happened to park up there, and I turned the CB on to see if I could pick anyone up, was surprised I got anyone where we were actually.
Mark.
qwedsa182
Regular
Regular

Post by qwedsa182 »

yer cool em if your near the area again or if anyone lives in county durham area just give me a shout i listen on 9, 19 , 25 and 40
HD462
Regular
Regular

Post by HD462 »

I had the CB on again today while sat on our sea front at Seaton Carew (Hartlepool). Heard a conversation on Ch40, thought I recognised one voice, then I heard someone mention his name, Maurice. There seemed to be 3 or 4 guys chatting, some only coming in very quietly.

I tried to enter the conversation saying "breaker, on the side" and waiting for a reply. I waited a couple of minutes, then someone started ranting "will that breaker **** off - people just trying to have a conversation on here, and all you're doing is mike keying all the time, now **** off!"

I got the feeling he wasn't talking to me, as I'd only keyed the mike once to say my 'on the side' message, but I wasn't too sure. Certainly wasn't very sociable if he was talking to me (I'd only keyed the mike the once). If he doesn't want people to join in a conversation then he should use a phone, and not a public radio service.

I did hear a few faint clicks a bit later, that sounded like it could have been someone in the distance from me keying a mike, but it put me off trying to make contact with them again. If they could have heard me, it would have been a good distance contact.

I really can't see the point of using burners, sending a signal out so far that people can hear you, but can't reply to you. all it's doing is hogging the channel space that people in the distance could be using in their local area if the other person wasn't pushing their signal so far into another area. If they were on legal power then surely people in different areas could be using the same channel at the same time without interfering with each other. That's how it seems to me anyway. I know CB isn't as busy as it used to be, but certain channels seem to be more popular than others for some reason.
Mark.
qwedsa182
Regular
Regular

Post by qwedsa182 »

my apologies to that there it wasnt me but i defintly know that the breaker using inappropriate language wasnt directing that at you, there is one persons that continue to constantly key over people even to the point where myself was talking about a recent family death he still keyed over us but i will defintly have a word with the persons involved with the abusive language it was uncalled for even if there was a mike keyer. please try and make contact again there ive got my antenna higher now so should get you
HD462
Regular
Regular

Post by HD462 »

Hi,

No problem, like I said, I thought he couldn't have been meaning me, and it must have been someone else out of my range. It was just unfortunate he used the same words as I used, but I guess "breaker, on the side" is a common thing to say. :)

Would have been good to make contact, as if you could have heard me it would have been a fair distance. I'll try again next Saturday afternoon if I'm round that way and remember to have a go.

Cheers,
Mark.
Mark.
qwedsa182
Regular
Regular

Post by qwedsa182 »

hey ok m8 yer i must say people keep saying to me the rig has changed massivley i mean im new to it and there is alot of abusive language and some abusive people and if you look back it wouldnt of been like that 20 years ago
HD462
Regular
Regular

Post by HD462 »

Had a try again today, but think I must've missed your regular time, it was about 16:10 when I was on. Heard some crackling on UK Ch40, but not clear enough to make out what they were saying.
Mark.
qwedsa182
Regular
Regular

Post by qwedsa182 »

yer roger dodger well if you ever miss the usual 2:30 3:30 on chan 40 try on chan 25 there is nearly always one of us on there listening or speaking