Ham Licence

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
108KIP01
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 108KIP01

Re: Ham Licence

Post by 108KIP01 »

Transwarp wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 18:03 It might help a little as evidence (every little helps as the saying goes) but the RSGB used to put a list in RadCom of new RSGB members.
Another route to explore thanks. I'm not getting anywhere with City & Guilds. I've given them everything except a copy of the certificate in looking to get replaced. Frustrating. I'm equally frustrated with myself because I had this certificate in my hands 18 months ago. I had a massive clear out of old paperwork since and I fear the worst.

RSGB have told me they checked the call books and I wasn't entered. That's what I suspected. So I think I'm screwed. Can't get my head round C&G not being able to finding my records.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to post.

Chris
108KIP01 - KIP
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

You're welcome. Have you thought about trying to make contact with where you sat the RAE? (College / School / other) if they are still going?

A little tale I have is that many years back when I was working in retail I was asked if I had a forklift licence, I told the company I was working for I did indeed but it was a long time I'd last driven a fork truck. The advantage for me was that a hourly pay increase would be available if I could drive a forklift so I went searching for my licence and cert but couldn't find it in the end. I remembered that my training was carried out under CITB and I got in touch with them but they couldn't find no record of my training apparently. I went to the premises where a group of us had our training at - at that time - but they advised they didn't keep the records of the training of candidates that agents who'd used their facilities trained, and I would have to find the company or person who actually carried out the training and examination. Luckily for me the lady at the premises was very helpful and she sent me a copy of the contact details of the guy who'd booked the premises for the training course and I recognised his name straight away. Got in touch with him but he'd packed in that line of work, however more luck for me was that he kept details of all candidates he'd trained and found mine, he got in touch with the respective organisations and within a couple of weeks of me contacting him a copy of my licence and certificate arrived in the post - top man then.

If I had to go through exactly the same carry on again today I most likely wouldn't be so lucky as I'd no doubt be quoted 'GDPR act this' and 'GDPR act that' when asking for contact details or persons.

Getting my original fork licence meant the difference of having to sit a full training course and examination again to get a new one or just a half day refresher with my original licence. I had to put some time and effort in digging about but got the reward in the end. Stick with hunting a copy of your RAE cert down until all avenues have been explored Chris.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Post by Metradio »

Was that a Foundation, Intermediate or Advanced Fork Lift course ?

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Transwarp »

:lol:
108KIP01
Regular
Regular

Post by 108KIP01 »

Transwarp wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 17:32 You're welcome. Have you thought about trying to make contact with where you sat the RAE? (College / School / other) if they are still going?

A little tale I have is that many years back when I was working in retail I was asked if I had a forklift licence, I told the company I was working for I did indeed but it was a long time I'd last driven a fork truck. The advantage for me was that a hourly pay increase would be available if I could drive a forklift so I went searching for my licence and cert but couldn't find it in the end. I remembered that my training was carried out under CITB and I got in touch with them but they couldn't find no record of my training apparently. I went to the premises where a group of us had our training at - at that time - but they advised they didn't keep the records of the training of candidates that agents who'd used their facilities trained, and I would have to find the company or person who actually carried out the training and examination. Luckily for me the lady at the premises was very helpful and she sent me a copy of the contact details of the guy who'd booked the premises for the training course and I recognised his name straight away. Got in touch with him but he'd packed in that line of work, however more luck for me was that he kept details of all candidates he'd trained and found mine, he got in touch with the respective organisations and within a couple of weeks of me contacting him a copy of my licence and certificate arrived in the post - top man then.

If I had to go through exactly the same carry on again today I most likely wouldn't be so lucky as I'd no doubt be quoted 'GDPR act this' and 'GDPR act that' when asking for contact details or persons.

Getting my original fork licence meant the difference of having to sit a full training course and examination again to get a new one or just a half day refresher with my original licence. I had to put some time and effort in digging about but got the reward in the end. Stick with hunting a copy of your RAE cert down until all avenues have been explored Chris.
Great story. I am trying to be positive and thinking of my next move after each set back. I studied on my own for the RAE. I bought books and used computer software to test my progress. It was fun studying on my own and at my own pace. If I wanted to attend an actual college for studies the nearest I am aware of was the Nautical College in Glasgow. That wasn't an option for me so I self taught.

Eventually I felt ready for the RAE and sat the exam at Mid Lanark ARS. Who hosted the exam. I've tried contacting them but they don't keep records.

I will continue trying because I don't want to start with the new three step route to full licence. I need to find my C&G .

CHRIS
108KIP01 - KIP
listner132
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by listner132 »

'I will continue trying because I don't want to start with the new three step route to full licence. I need to find my C&G '

Or you could just keep plugging away on 11m just like the rest of us.
MH14
Regular
Regular

Post by MH14 »

Chris,

I have a 2003 RSGB yearbook (callbook) here in front of me. You are listed in it with a full postal address on page 341.

I won't put the address here. However, you were at 25B at the time.

PM me for more details if they are required.
108KIP01
Regular
Regular

Post by 108KIP01 »

MH14 wrote: 16 Sep 2019, 17:34 Chris,

I have a 2003 RSGB yearbook (callbook) here in front of me. You are listed in it with a full postal address on page 341.

Thank you so much for this , I've still not found my RAE certificate and i had given up for a bit as i was getting frustrated with all the dead ends. However this may well just be enough for me to regain my callsign. I'm absolutely beaming and i can't thank you enough for taking the time to look.

This has made my day .

Chris ( Kip)
108KIP01 - KIP
108KIP01
Regular
Regular

Post by 108KIP01 »

listner132 wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 19:32 'I will continue trying because I don't want to start with the new three step route to full licence. I need to find my C&G '

Or you could just keep plugging away on 11m just like the rest of us.
Yes i could.
108KIP01 - KIP
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Transwarp »

108KIP01 wrote: 16 Sep 2019, 23:13

Thank you so much for this , I've still not found my RAE certificate and i had given up for a bit as i was getting frustrated with all the dead ends. However this may well just be enough for me to regain my callsign. I'm absolutely beaming and i can't thank you enough for taking the time to look.

This has made my day .

Chris ( Kip)

Update this thread with how you go on :thumbup:
108KIP01
Regular
Regular

Post by 108KIP01 »

Transwarp wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 17:41
108KIP01 wrote: 16 Sep 2019, 23:13

This has made my day .

Chris ( Kip)

Update this thread with how you go on :thumbup:
Well folks thanks to information provided by MH14 , i was able to contact the RSGB with details of my call book entry and i have now been given guidance on how to regain my callsign via Ofcom.

I am still a bit annoyed with City & Guilds though, i can't get over how this highly respected establishment couldn't find my certificate. Also the RSGB themselves told me they done a record search of the year books and that i wasn't listed!

However frustration aside , this is a good day and i'd like to thank everyone who chipped in with suggestions and ideas. One of the things that stuck out for me was there was no negativity. just genuine pointers and support to continue. Thank you all and especially MH14.

Regards

Chris

PS: I'll update again once everything is confirmed.
108KIP01 - KIP
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

Great news and well done MH14 for getting in touch.
Can't help but love an Adams.

Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Transwarp »

Yes indeed and a good outcome for Chris. A cigar please for MH14 :clap: :clap: :clap:
108KIP01
Regular
Regular

Post by 108KIP01 »

Contacted Ofcom waiting to hear from them , they don't move fast. lol

Chris
108KIP01 - KIP
MH14
Regular
Regular

Post by MH14 »

Chris,

It was an honour to help you out.

Hope all goes well and your back licensed real soon.