9 year old passes Advanced

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Re: 9 year old passes Advanced

Post by paulears »

Re: My cost comment. Today I put fuel in the van, had two coffees and a one hour session at a sports facility. I could have bought a radio, power supply and an antenna for this amount. Or a cheap chinese hand-held, and SDR dongle and loads of useful stuff.

The cost is ridiculously small. Most other hobbies are vastly more expensive.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

Today I walked along the canal path, on the way I feed the ducks & swans, helped a lass with her bike that had a broken chain and got a cup of tea and some nice chat with a guy that lives in a property near to the path. Spent almost half a day along the canal, total cost to me was zero with the benefit of some exercise also.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
Checkpointcharlie
Banned
Banned

Post by Checkpointcharlie »

Transwarp wrote: 07 Jan 2018, 21:09
Checkpointcharlie wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 23:19
Transwarp wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 15:03

Why? :think:
Work it out :think:
Well I ain't cringing so don't know what point is of your comment, unless it's your attempt to put down long term FL holders?
I would if I was you.
Broad sword calling Danny boy......
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Transwarp »

Checkpointcharlie wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 19:06
Transwarp wrote: 07 Jan 2018, 21:09
Checkpointcharlie wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 23:19

Work it out :think:
Well I ain't cringing so don't know what point is of your comment, unless it's your attempt to put down long term FL holders?
I would if I was you.
:roll: :yawn:
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

I'm a long term intermediate license holder, If the pimp had his way he'd have me shot :mrgreen:
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Transwarp »

I'll always be a foundation class licence holder, one because I'm happy with, and two to get up the noses of those that look down theirs at :lol: :thumbup:
Checkpointcharlie
Banned
Banned

Post by Checkpointcharlie »

Transwarp wrote: 27 Jan 2018, 10:42 I'll always be a foundation class licence holder, one because I'm happy with, and two to get up the noses of those that look down theirs at :lol: :thumbup:
Ha ha incompetent radio operator.
Broad sword calling Danny boy......
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

I'm always coming across examples of the two type of people. The first with no aspiration and the second with tons of it. I used to look down my nose, simply because I didn't understand this split exists in how we simply are. Then I became a teacher, and discovered how different everyone is. For some, having to do something is just a door opener to something else. Passing the driving test for a moped, I was told, is a very good example. A moped will do. For a while it is the best thing in the world, exactly what the rider wanted. A few ride one for life, because they genuinely like it. Most, however, really wanted a car, but couldn't have one ....... yet. Most people who pass the car test do not go on to take an HGV test, but the few who do, again really wanted to. I have no doubts that the HGV driver considers themselves a professional driver, and puts car drivers in a different light, and they do the same to the moped kids. Some people seek advancement and improvement in everything they do, others don't. Both are fine. What isn't fine are those people who could do it, want to do it, but are too lazy to bother - and then get cross and paranoid about the people who can, looking down on them.

Everyone has a right to do whatever they want in this hobby. Nobody can have a superior attitude because they chose a different path. There is absolutely nothing wrong if Stephen Hawking wanted to take the entry level exam and have a chat. However, if he read some of the tripe sprouted by some people who have the other licences, he might wonder if they really deserve them!

On the forums it's plainly clear some people who get a ham licence got it by sheer luck, while others actually understood what was behind the questions.

I would rather talk to a knowledgeable newcomer with the entry licence who is keen to learn more, than a grumpy old fart convinced anyone with a lower tier licence is clearly an idiot, spoiling the hobby.

The funniest thing was that when I left the hobby, we were up to G4 and G6 - nothing else, and when I came back after a 25 year break, I had no idea what class licence people held with all the new callsigns. I decided then to just talk to people and pay no attention to their callsigns at all. I STILL can not recognise a UK licence class unless it has G in front.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Transwarp »

Checkpointcharlie wrote: 27 Jan 2018, 21:08
Transwarp wrote: 27 Jan 2018, 10:42 I'll always be a foundation class licence holder, one because I'm happy with, and two to get up the noses of those that look down theirs at :lol: :thumbup:
Ha ha incompetent radio operator.
Hmm, you know banter aside (of which I don't mind, and the odd bit of a roast) I know a bit of your calibre after checking out your other posts so I'll resonate a bit of tolerance, just a bit though :problem:
Last edited by Transwarp on 28 Jan 2018, 13:41, edited 1 time in total.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Transwarp »

paulears wrote: 28 Jan 2018, 10:03 I'm always coming across examples of the two type of people. The first with no aspiration and the second with tons of it. I used to look down my nose, simply because I didn't understand this split exists in how we simply are. Then I became a teacher, and discovered how different everyone is. For some, having to do something is just a door opener to something else. Passing the driving test for a moped, I was told, is a very good example. A moped will do. For a while it is the best thing in the world, exactly what the rider wanted. A few ride one for life, because they genuinely like it. Most, however, really wanted a car, but couldn't have one ....... yet. Most people who pass the car test do not go on to take an HGV test, but the few who do, again really wanted to. I have no doubts that the HGV driver considers themselves a professional driver, and puts car drivers in a different light, and they do the same to the moped kids. Some people seek advancement and improvement in everything they do, others don't. Both are fine. What isn't fine are those people who could do it, want to do it, but are too lazy to bother - and then get cross and paranoid about the people who can, looking down on them.

Everyone has a right to do whatever they want in this hobby. Nobody can have a superior attitude because they chose a different path. There is absolutely nothing wrong if Stephen Hawking wanted to take the entry level exam and have a chat. However, if he read some of the tripe sprouted by some people who have the other licences, he might wonder if they really deserve them!

On the forums it's plainly clear some people who get a ham licence got it by sheer luck, while others actually understood what was behind the questions.

I would rather talk to a knowledgeable newcomer with the entry licence who is keen to learn more, than a grumpy old fart convinced anyone with a lower tier licence is clearly an idiot, spoiling the hobby.

The funniest thing was that when I left the hobby, we were up to G4 and G6 - nothing else, and when I came back after a 25 year break, I had no idea what class licence people held with all the new callsigns. I decided then to just talk to people and pay no attention to their callsigns at all. I STILL can not recognise a UK licence class unless it has G in front.
Each to their own, live and let live etc.

You know it makes me laugh why a credential can at times cause clashes. Ham radio is a hobby at the end of the day and can be taken or left, for some though they take it way too serious to the point they risk confrontation, alienation, and to a point social exclusion of sort.

Licence class snobbery and mocking is a problem within the hobby, and those that are wired that way are sad tiny people.
Benny

Post by Benny »

If your passion is HF ( which mine is ) then I've found stations from overseas couldn't care one jot what class of license you have but are only concerned with the quality of your operating.
In the 10 or so years I've been part of this great forum I've lost count of the number of threads on the "old v new" theme. It's all a bit pathetic isn't it ?
QRP Rules OK!
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

I have an MM3 Call and a 2M0 Call both active, Why? Because i like to confuse folk :mrgreen: Ofcourse it goes without saying i abide by the power Restrictions each license dictates ;)

I couldn't give a toss which class of license an operator holds as long as their operating practice is up to the mark, I tend to avoid stations who call 40 a copy on 7 mhz
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Kaliphan
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M0

Post by Kaliphan »

Buick Mackane wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 00:54 I tend to avoid stations who call 40 a copy on 7 mhz
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Didn't realise I was getting out that well good bud, must ave been after I did me swar...

(M6, 2E and M0 here)