Disappearing Repeaters

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Merlinonline
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E0CPX

Disappearing Repeaters

Post by Merlinonline »

GB3NF - Nottingham has been very quiet recently, also up in Nottinghamshire the repeater group that looked after GB3MD & GB3MX has folded. GB3MD & GB3MX went off air in 2013 due to not having a suitable site. I've also noticed that the 70 cm GB3HN has disappeared, this repeater was located at the top of an electricity pylon at a large transformer station near Hitchin, all I can find out about that one is a broken link to a short story that the keeper was made to remove the equipment at short notice.
Merlinonline
Regular
Regular

Re: Disappearing Repeaters

Post by Merlinonline »

Just heard GB3NF is off the air due to engineering work but will be back next week.
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

Long gone are the days where a friendly word with the right RF people could get repeater groups on to decent sites. Everything is run by bean counters and H+S mafia these days so it's either too expensive to rent/install or they won't allow a bunch of unqualified anoraks access to a secure radio site.
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.
solarstorm
Regular
Regular

Post by solarstorm »

Think DY (433.250) is off too? probably shut down from abuse from croaky voices etc...
Merlinonline
Regular
Regular

Post by Merlinonline »

I think DY was told to close down by OFCOM, I switched my 2m HT on last Sunday morning to hear something like Roy Chubby Brown (lots of swearing) on GB3CF, the thing was I just happen to check the input channel and low and behold he was rather close to where I was, details passed on. Also on Monday evening I was monitoring CF again logged who I heard, then a little later I put a call out through the repeater only to be told to "get lost" and "shut up" by a squeaky, the trouble was this guy was doing really badly and I recognised him from a few minutes before sad to say he was an M1 call!

DY is/was run by a private company who was doing it to give something back to the Amateur Radio community, I did also notice that on GB3HH users were getting abuse from someone who was giving their names out over the air, I have an idea they were from the Chesterfield area. The thing is it can be very quick and easy to DF an idiot, and it is happening across the East Midlands now, OFCOM will act on these idiots if you make OFCOM's life easier, they don't have the funding now to do the job of enforcement properly. If you feel strongly about this then volunteer your time with a local club to monitor and DF these idiots and get the evidence.
Merlinonline
Regular
Regular

Post by Merlinonline »

GB3MP was supposed to have moved from the Moel Parc TV Transmitter site to a site closer to Prestatyn, totally understand UKFMGW reasons for doing so (cost issue), MP gives good coverage across Cheshire, I have used it several times using an HT from Merryton Low in the Peak District at a distance of about 51.7 miles.
310den
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 310den »

I suspect GB3NS in North Surrey will go the same way. Been an idiot on there for many weeks now, close to the repeater as wipes everyone out on their overs. He plays an eletronic voice with swearing and some other peoples personal details. I think he has it in for certain people who use it as does not block it all the time.
If I was nearer to it I would do a bit of DF'ing but it's not my locality or a repeater I use but it is popular as linked with echolink.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

This is not a new phenomenon, repeaters have attracted challenged individuals since the beginning of time. A lot of finger pointing is always made towards newly licensed amateurs or pirate freebanders, but many moons ago we used XMIT ID (whatever happened to that?) and discovered rather alarmingly that the vast majority of repeater abusers (in our area) were established individuals with full licences.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

310den wrote:I suspect GB3NS in North Surrey will go the same way. Been an idiot on there for many weeks now, close to the repeater as wipes everyone out on their overs. He plays an eletronic voice with swearing and some other peoples personal details. I think he has it in for certain people who use it as does not block it all the time.
If I was nearer to it I would do a bit of DF'ing but it's not my locality or a repeater I use but it is popular as linked with echolink.
I have heard that too. Really annoying listening to people constantly talking back to them. It only makes the abuse worse. If people stopped talking back then I'm sure this jammer would get bored after a while.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
310den
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 310den »

radiosification wrote:
310den wrote:I suspect GB3NS in North Surrey will go the same way. Been an idiot on there for many weeks now, close to the repeater as wipes everyone out on their overs. He plays an eletronic voice with swearing and some other peoples personal details. I think he has it in for certain people who use it as does not block it all the time.
I have heard that too. Really annoying listening to people constantly talking back to them. It only makes the abuse worse. If people stopped talking back then I'm sure this jammer would get bored after a while.
Yes exactly. I told one once not to respond to it but they are playing into the idiot's hands. :problem:
JohnB57
Call Sign: G0SJB

Post by JohnB57 »

paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

The serious hams, with the skills and income to do the clever stuff are now all up in the GHz bands. 2 and 70cm are just too accessible to people with fifteen quid in their pockets and no brains. Ham radio was always self-policing even when the RIS would be actively seeking out offenders and doing their thing. Now it's like canabis. The authorities only care about excess/money making/consequences so some idiot swearing on a repeater means we're on our own. If it gets out of hand, the Police might attend if they're slack. What can repeater owners actually do? Nothing! Take somebodies licence away and that means they will stop transmitting? Really?

In my area the repeaters are rarely run by people who use them now, just people who used to run them, and can't get anyone to take them over, so when things get bad, they get the flack - and they're fed up with it. I don't blame them!
sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by sec1223 »

JohnB57 wrote:http://www.southyorkshirerepeatergroup. ... -shutdown/

Another few bite the dust...
hmmm.... the dummy's deffo hit the floor with this lot.

they'v even canceled the 2017 Great Northern Hamfest !.
cant stand IGNORANT b******ds
Merlinonline
Regular
Regular

Post by Merlinonline »

GB3NF has been back on air a few weeks now.

The repeaters at Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft have been booted off their sites and the group responsible is struggling in finding a new site.

Now the big news is:

UK FM Group (Western), the UK's largest repeater network is closing!

Final AGM

20th November 2017

As a result of tonight’s meeting 16th October 2017 was wind up procedures being initiated due to the positions of Chairman and Treasurer not being filled by the assembled members.

The constitution is being followed as per clause 9.

9. WINDING -UP

In the event of a decision being made to wind up the Group, then those responsible for conducting the winding-up shall carry out the following procedure:-

(i) Settle all outstanding debts;
(ii) Convene a Group meeting to distribute the remaining assets;
(iii) At the meeting – arrange to transfer of in-situ Group equipment to any properley contsituted group or radio club willing to take over responsibility for individual installations. Claims on individual installations should be submitted no less than two weeks before the meeting. In the event of a multiple claim the allocation shall be decided by a committee vote.
(iv) Vote on the method of distribution of the remaining assets whether this be by:-
(a) Sale and equal distribution to all paid-up members;
or (b) Transfer en-bloc to the Radio Society of Great Britain.

http://www.ukfmgw.co.uk/

This affects the following:

GB3MN
GB3MP
GB3VP
GB3SE
GB3SX
GB3CR
GB3LI
GB3LL
GB3MA
GB3MF
GB3MR
GB3PZ
GB3SM
GB3ST
GB3WP
GB7DV
GB7WC
FakeJake
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0SEY

Post by FakeJake »

Uh, only if we cant fill the vacant committee posts ;)
Jake 2E0SEY
Saltney, near Chester (Cheshire-Flintshire border)
Monitoring 2m simplex (when I can)
Dysgwr Cymraeg