advice needed

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
nordhavn
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

advice needed

Post by nordhavn »

I've got a redundant telegraph pole at the end of my property which would be ideal to run a long wire to . It's exactly 20 meters from my conservatory/radio room .
What/how would be the the easiest way to get a wire up there ?
Cheers
Checkpointcharlie
Banned
Banned

Re: advice needed

Post by Checkpointcharlie »

Climb it if you are fit enough and install a pulley wheel or use use a ladder while you have 2 people supporting it. Attach a cord through wheel so it's ready to hoist up later meaning you will not have to go back up.
Broad sword calling Danny boy......
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

I can't advise you how to get the job done, but I can advise that if you or someone is going up then use a ladder to the top and don't use the footplates that start half way up, those poles get certified every 5 years (I think) and if the stamp at the bottom isn't in date then a BT guy or girl won't go up, they will request a cherry picker. If that one is abandoned then it's safety cert probably expired decades ago.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
oh5nxo
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: oh5nxo

Post by oh5nxo »

There are not any kind of hooks left at the top ? Fishing line & weight, slingshot, kite etc ... Never done it, but using a kite to position a noose around the tip, then tightening might not be impossible.

Juha
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

Ladder and lashing. Usual precautions but I'd certainly go with the suggestion to install a pulley at the top. Makes life simple later.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

I had a similar telegraph pole at a previous property a few years back but I went a bit further and fitted a small (1.5m) extension aluminium pole secured by drilling through it and fitting a couple of small brackets. I then attached a pulley to it. My main reason for doing this was to install a Quadrifilar Helical antenna to the top for wx satellite reception but got a secondary use as a mount for wire antennas.

Usual H&S rules apply though. Ladders can be extremely difficult to use because of the circular shape of the pole so be careful. Do not climb it on your own!
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
nordhavn
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nordhavn »

Thanks , a pulley system would work well as I don't fancy going up there often.
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

love your familly