Boafeng UV-5R

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
tetramoo

Boafeng UV-5R

Post by tetramoo »

Hello Chaps,
Firstly I'm not quite sure this is the right section for my post... Anyway here goes... I've just purchased a Boafeng UV-5R on eBaY and for the money I must say it's quite impressive with its functions ect.
I've just purchased a Nagoya 701 antenna to replace the stock antenna that comes as standard with this radio. Any thoughts please as regarding the Nagoya... Any good...!!! Your input would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
John (Tetramoo).
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: Boafeng UV-5R

Post by Admiral »

There are a lot of cheap Chinese Nagoya copies that have flooded the market, do they work any worse than genuine ones? Hard to say. Check this for fake products.

http://www.nagoya.com.tw/s/2/news-31478 ... tenna.html

But even a fage Nagoya will perform much better than the UV-5R stock one as that is a poorly shielded dummy load.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
tetramoo

Post by tetramoo »

What about if I was to use one of those Nagoya 2M/70CM mobile antennas from eBay for Tx/Rx on the UV5-R in the car, Would it make a considerable difference in performance.
Thanks.
Sam P
Call Sign: 26DR340

Post by Sam P »

Admiral wrote:There are a lot of cheap Chinese Nagoya copies that have flooded the market, do they work any worse than genuine ones? Hard to say. Check this for fake products.

http://www.nagoya.com.tw/s/2/news-31478 ... tenna.html.
Blimey, following that guidance it's difficult to find a genuine product on eBay :shock:

Should I be shocked, possibly not.

Is there a credible UK supplier for the 771....?
Ubique Loquimur
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

Sam P wrote:
Admiral wrote:There are a lot of cheap Chinese Nagoya copies that have flooded the market, do they work any worse than genuine ones? Hard to say. Check this for fake products.

Blimey, following that guidance it's difficult to find a genuine product on eBay :shock:

I believe that Knights sell Nagoya antennas. Hard to believe they would stock fakes so you should be safe with them.

Give them a call and ask
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Sam P

Post by Sam P »

kilimax wrote:
Sam P wrote:

I believe that Knights sell Nagoya antennas. Hard to believe they would stock fakes so you should be safe with them.

Give them a call and ask
Thanks for that.... shortly after posting I checked a few more ebay sellers and noticed that Knights had them, so I ordered a couple of 771s.

Like yourself, I doubt knights would sell knock off stuff - but the sample pictures they use for the product on eBay don't match the guide Admiral posted up from the manufacturer. :geek: :shock:

Let's see what turns up.
Ubique Loquimur
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

Sam P wrote: Thanks for that.... shortly after posting I checked a few more ebay sellers and noticed that Knights had them, so I ordered a couple of 771s.

Like yourself, I doubt knights would sell knock off stuff - but the sample pictures they use for the product on eBay don't match the guide Admiral posted up from the manufacturer. :geek: :shock:

Let's see what turns up.
I've purchased a few Nagoya antennas from eBay in the past but well before the fakes were being uncovered. I've had both green and orange plastic bags but never gave it a second thought.

They all work mind you but it does now plant a seed of doubt in your head. If I had a 100% genuine version and tested it against mine, would I then discover I had fakes or the real thing? I won't bother as it will only make my head hurt {bnghd}

Anyway, I think you will be ok with Knights.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
tetramoo

Post by tetramoo »

tetramoo

Post by tetramoo »

Something like the above link I was contemplating buying for primarily RX use really as opposed to having the UV-5R in the car which obviously attenuates the RX signal somewhat.
tetramoo

Post by tetramoo »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232123652037
Recently bought this on eBaY I doubt it's an original Nagoya to be honest and it's performance is actually out shined by the default stock antenna that came with the radio
. Also its very flexible whereas the stock antenna is very rigid that seems to RX better with far less signal flutter than the bendy Nagoya
nordhavn
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nordhavn »

I use my uv-5r for receiving and purchased a knock off 771 for a couple of quid and found it to be a vast improvement on the stock antenna . I don't transmit anymore so it makes no odds with swr etc .
Sam P

Post by Sam P »

Mmmm, I now have a couple of genuine 771s from Knights - so far not as good as the stock antennas .... however, I'll reserve judgement until testing has been a little more thorough.
Ubique Loquimur
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Later versions of some Bumfengs came out of the factory with (fake) 701s on them. The originals were pretty crap, so even with a fake 771 you should notice half an S-point increase from your local repeater.
Sam P

Post by Sam P »

Admiral wrote:Later versions of some Bumfengs came out of the factory with (fake) 701s on them. The originals were pretty crap, so even with a fake 771 you should notice half an S-point increase from your local repeater.
Well I'm not feeling the love out of a 771 ... the stock antenna seems to have an edge on it :?
Ubique Loquimur
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Sam P wrote:
Admiral wrote:Later versions of some Bumfengs came out of the factory with (fake) 701s on them. The originals were pretty crap, so even with a fake 771 you should notice half an S-point increase from your local repeater.
Well I'm not feeling the love out of a 771 ... the stock antenna seems to have an edge on it :?
Oh dear, maybe your 771 is a fake of a fake? The stock antenna on the UV-3R was remarkably good in my opinion, despite its size, so was/is the radio itself, the thing sticking out of the top of the UV-5R was an abomination (again in my opinion), it was/is crap.