What Ham Radio Stuff did you buy today? (2017)

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Re: What Ham Radio Stuff did you buy today? (2017)

Post by MrWeetabix »

That's bargain-of-the-year so far Crusader..... well done that man :clap:
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

MrWeetabix wrote:That's bargain-of-the-year so far Crusader..... well done that man :clap:
Cheers Craig,yep the radio room is really filling up now,i also got a very clean TS-940S for £100 also but it needs attention as the PLL keeps unlocking but it does tx & rx properly when it is not in unlock,will get it sent away soon to get looked at :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

Crusader wrote:
MrWeetabix wrote:That's bargain-of-the-year so far Crusader..... well done that man :clap:
Cheers Craig,yep the radio room is really filling up now,i also got a very clean TS-940S for £100 also but it needs attention as the PLL keeps unlocking but it does tx & rx properly when it is not in unlock,will get it sent away soon to get looked at :)
Nice radios the 940s. While early Trio badged and grey import Kenwood badged versions had crap power supplies and were littered with dry joints (much like the early TS-930s) the later ones, especially the Kenwood badged versions that were officially imported were well sorted.

Outstanding receivers on these radios.

Great buy!

PS First refusal my way..... :D
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

Hi Guys & cheers :thumbup: ,just ordered a replacement PLL unit which should hopefully get the TS-940 fully operational again,yes great receive quality on them,i have owned one before & regretted letting it go {bnghd}

I would'nt mind a TS-930 to match if a decent one came along ;)

As for the FT-767 i just installed a more modern PC cooling fan inside it today as the old one was clanking about,i also bought a 70cm's module for it which should be here Friday & i am also on the look out for a ctcss module for it as i may as well load it up :)

Best regards,Shaun :D
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

You may need to reinforce the desk it sits on! :lol:
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

MrWeetabix wrote:You may need to reinforce the desk it sits on! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Nah it will be fine,got a desk built for Donald Trump here ;)
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

Crusader wrote:
MrWeetabix wrote:You may need to reinforce the desk it sits on! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Nah it will be fine,got a desk built for Donald Trump here ;)
We're gunna make desks great again people............... so great

Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

:lol: So great & with a big red button built in especially for North Korea ;)
Bigdave
Legend
Legend

Post by Bigdave »

This..........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
26 TM 1248
WINNER of INB4TL, the big battle edition 16/07/23
OFTEN IMITATED,BUT NEVER INTIMIDATED.
WINNER of INB4TL,the no interest edition 18/03/24
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

Decided to treat myself to this last weekend,FT-1000MP MK5 Field with matching PSU & speaker :D
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 108TM154

Post by gmham »

Lovely big set the mk5 field ran one for a good few years before moving to the ft991 and then onto the IC7300. One thing I would say is try doing the acoustic mod to the yaesu speaker makes a big difference as personally thought it was awful sounding as standard. Basically involves filling the casing with accoustic foam and in filling with wadding. Search on line for the article or let me know if you can't find it and I will look back myself.
If there are still spare funds then a nice Heil pr40 goes particularly well with this set !!!
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

Moxon antenna for 10/20 mtrs

——
John - 108TM154 / 108CO154
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

Hi John,cheers,yep i had the normal 1000MP a few years ago & regretted selling it {bnghd}

I will look into modifying the speaker,it does sound pretty good as radio amateur matching speakers go but i do know what you mean & i reckon it could sound a little better,i take it you mean lining the inside of the metal case with speaker foam then filling the rest of the void in with wadding,deffo worth a go.

As for microphones i may go down the studio type mike route when i have more funds,think i spent enough recently ;) but currently using an Addonis AM-303G desk mike that i used to use on my FT-990 & always got good reports on & it also sound great on the MK5 1000MP but that may have something to do with the tx bandwidth set at maximum on the menu system.

Best regards,Shaun :thumbup:
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

Crusader wrote:Decided to treat myself to this last weekend,FT-1000MP MK5 Field with matching PSU & speaker :D
Lovely radio. Consider the Inrad roofing filter for it. Makes a significant difference to the receivers selectivity, especially strong signal handling.
I did this mod to mine when I had one a few years ago. I bought mine brand new and at the time, I couldn't stretch to the MK V 200 Watt version but in the end, folk actually rated the field above the MK V.

I also echo gmham's comments on the speaker. I did the mod too and it made a big difference.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 108TM154

Post by gmham »

There you go pick up some foam like this,line the sides and top and add the wadding to the rest off the speaker case..job done !
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=yaesu ... eZECoStjyM:
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

Moxon antenna for 10/20 mtrs

——
John - 108TM154 / 108CO154
HFDX
Regular
Regular

Post by HFDX »

Today I got a 5.8 GHz, 2.5 watt wideband fm , 48-channel, audio/video transmitter module for £25.
Connect it to an flat panel aerial. Wonder how far I will get with it