RSGB 60m JT65 and JT9 Warning

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
FakeJake
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0SEY

RSGB 60m JT65 and JT9 Warning

Post by FakeJake »

Jake 2E0SEY
Saltney, near Chester (Cheshire-Flintshire border)
Monitoring 2m simplex (when I can)
Dysgwr Cymraeg
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Re: RSGB 60m JT65 and JT9 Warning

Post by MrWeetabix »

Warning over out of band signals

It has been brought to the attention of the Amateur Radio Observation Service that software commonly used by UK licensees for the production of signals in both JT65 and JT9 modes, uses a default preset frequency of 5.357MHz (JT65) or 5.359MHz (JT9) in the 5 MHz band. UK licensees are reminded that, after applying the audio offset to the AFSK signal in JT65 mode, using these presets will, in the majority of cases, cause the transmission to fall outside of the upper band edge of the UK allocation of 5.354MHz to 5.358MHz. In the case of JT9, if the default of 5.359MHz is used all transmissions will be outside of the UK allocation. Many examples of this have been noted and it is imperative that these out of band transmissions cease in order that UK licensees remain within the terms of their Amateur Radio Licence.

You naughty naughty scamps! :lol:
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Ofcom have the right to use the term 'it is imperative that these out of band transmissions cease', I would have preferred the term 'we strongly advise' from a magazine publisher. Hey-ho.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
2E1IIP

Post by 2E1IIP »

Well, in all fairness we should not transmit out of band - the excuse of ignorance is just not cricket!
I mean, how would it look if we were viewed as incompetent in the very subject we are supposed to be clued up in?
A little thought before you commence to transmit, taking in to account your TX bandwidth and where you are close to the band edges is not complicated.
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

Admiral wrote:Ofcom have the right to use the term 'it is imperative that these out of band transmissions cease', I would have preferred the term 'we strongly advise' from a magazine publisher. Hey-ho.
Admiral please remember who your quoting about......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qolk_rDA9xU
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

My bad, and for the record, I had no idea what JT65 and JT9 were until I asked my mate Google :( I do however have a NoV for 60m :) Actually those two statements contradict one another, I suppose if I can get a NoV I should know what these data thingies are.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
FakeJake
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0SEY

Post by FakeJake »

Admiral wrote:My bad, and for the record, I had no idea what JT65 and JT9 were until I asked my mate Google :( I do however have a NoV for 60m :) Actually those two statements contradict one another, I suppose if I can get a NoV I should know what these data thingies are.
You dont need an NoV now either! just a full ticket! (which i need to get)
Jake 2E0SEY
Saltney, near Chester (Cheshire-Flintshire border)
Monitoring 2m simplex (when I can)
Dysgwr Cymraeg
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

Admiral wrote:My bad, and for the record, I had no idea what JT65 and JT9 were until I asked my mate Google :( I do however have a NoV for 60m :) Actually those two statements contradict one another, I suppose if I can get a NoV I should know what these data thingies are.
It's the Werthers messing with your mind :D
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Havnt got a clue abt either of the JT thingies nor where 60m is.... :wtf:
WhiteNoisePoetry

Post by WhiteNoisePoetry »

Erm, a condition of using 60m is that you are contactable by phone at all times when using it.

So why hasn't someone in authority called the offending stations or sought help to identify the stations ?

Oh hold on, that's because no one in authority of the primary user has actually noticed, but instead it's only the amateur busybodies instead.

73 de WNP
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

Why would OFCOM be interested in policing when they leave the RSGB to do it? OFCOM do consult and work with the RSGB, simply because it is an established point of contact, and even of people don't like it, the RSGB do have clout and have plenty of power to issue permits. They're similar to the CAA - who OFCOM just leave alone to police their bands and issue licenses and permits. I didn't even know there is 5MHz allocation. I just discovered there are a few other bands I didn't know I could use!
EMarkM
Call Sign: M0RZY

Post by EMarkM »

FakeJake wrote: You dont need an NoV now either! just a full ticket! (which i need to get)
Yes.

Yes you do :D ;)
26TM513 “Munch Man”
M0RZY

PMR: Cobra Microtalk MT700
CB: Intek H-520 Plus, Thunderpole T-800
2m/70cm: Kenwood TM-V71E, Yaesu FT-7900R, Intek KT-930EE
HF/6m: Icom IC-7200, Yaesu FT-817ND
Scanning: Uniden UBC3500XLT
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

The previous 5 MHz (60m) 'Notice-of-Variation' (NoV) is now no longer required since Ofcom issued a new UK Amateur Licence which incorporated the UK 5 MHz allocation into the main licence schedule for all UK Full Licensees.

This came into force on 7 April 2015.
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................