is it legal to have a vhf in car

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: is it legal to have a vhf in car

Post by Admiral »

Sound advice, but a UK TV licence makes no mention of FM broadcasts these days, they are free from licence, you can listen to BBC Radio4 (and the rest of the FM radio broadcast spectrum) without any licence.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

The thing really is that even if you have something that is totally legal in your possession, the Police are allowed to investigate to make sure this is correct, and that has always been the case. If they cannot establish at the roadside, then until they are advised it is legal by somebody competent to make the assessment, they are hardly likely to believe you. A friend used to be heavily into air rifle competitions and when he got stopped by the Police, they found his equipment on the back seat, and competition rifles are mean looking things with big optics and gizmos. Despite notes on the Police computer, he still got really fed up after it had happened a few times - it's just how it is. The best thing, no matter your personal views on liberty and the law is to be polite, explain and smile. Always works for me.
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Post by ghost123uk »

Admiral wrote:Well in about 100 years or so of having the radio bug I have never, ever been questioned ........ Guess I have an honest face?
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!