Taxi company tracked down and given fine

Scanning radio frequencies in Yorkshire & Lincolnshire
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Taxi company tracked down and given fine

Post by thelad »

Just came across this. Taxi company tracked down and owner given a fine by Ofcom.

http://m.dewsburyreporter.co.uk/news/lo ... -1-7055266
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
dcwuk
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Taxi company tracked down and given fine

Post by dcwuk »

Wonder who the victim was?
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
I'm commenting on an internet forum, why should your facts sway my opinion?
mattdcooley
Regular
Regular

Post by mattdcooley »

Loads of taxi offices are on the game in West Yorks. Bit dumb to carry on using same freq/subtone from the cancelled licence - I doubt they really tracked him down, just realised the old freq was still in use in the same area and put 2+2 together. That said I have no sympathy and he was lucky to get the same channel back.

Another local firm let their licence lapse and it was reallocated within days - when they reapplied they had to get reprogrammed from 166.0 to 166.0125.

Others think they are smart and pay for the MDT frequency but not the voice because they don't use it much... They don't realise 165-168 is crammed full round here and someone else will be allocated the freq if the database says its unused. Most suppliers don't seem to care, I have found users that have been 'parked' for years on supplier channels. They change freqs and subtones every so often so surely someone is advising them how to get away with it.

Even big users like hospitals and NHS run frequencies that were once licenced but no longer are. A West Yorkshire hospital was parked on 163.95 for years, then upgraded to TRBO but still nobody told them to buy a licence because the parking channel isn't for their sole use... Others had licenced freqs which expired but they still use them now years on (166.8). Certain suppliers are on it though and within hours of a change the WTR is updated correctly so I can only assume it's dishonest and/or stupid people who are not following the rules.
phillmobile
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by phillmobile »

i have this exact issue right now with 165.000 mhz some taxi firm in Bradford area helping themselves, Mr Ofcom is on his way to feel there collar.