11m SSB

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Transmission1
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM001

Post by Transmission1 »

Panteneman wrote:What is probably a 20+ year old Cobra 148 GTL DX you are watching bids on would end up going for as much as ?160 in extreme cases (ironically, the price of a new Superstar 3900, pretty much the same thing).
That's because of the "They don't make em' like they used to" crowd! :mrgreen:

Some people are holding onto the past, after all why spend nearly ?200 on a secondhand CB now when you can pick up the Icom IC-706 Mk 1's for not much more and they are easily expanded to "Freeband" usage and will make a lot better CB than any normal radio will.
Simon, 26TM001 - East Yorkshire, UK
Founder of Transmission1 & Tango Mike 26 Division Co-ordinator
http://www.tangomike.net/
Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@transmission1
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

Yeah, I know a fellow 11m compandre that uses an unlocked Yaesu FT-900.

A very good idea, as they have better filtering and image rejection, better gain, PBT/Notch and better frequency stability. A logical progression. CB rigs are mostly stuck in the dark ages with hardly (if any) technologial advancement.

Some 11m SSB fans are that uber fanatical they use the likes of FT1000 Mk V and other high end kit. I spoke to a 21 division station that was using an FT101ZD, and owned an FT1000 and a couple of FT-101 variants for example.

E.G. - check this guy out for size! http://www.19at091.nl/
and look for 26AT047's site and his video clips

What springs to mind is that if they have invested so much in it, why not become a Radio Ham?

Probably a matter of deep rooted principes and ethics, probably like hackers, with some life code that goes along the lines of "Airwaves should be free". And are against "Organised Radio-ism".

Anyhow, a cracking mini debate but, it's kind gone off the beaten path now. Need to get back to the "main road" of this thread LoL :D
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...
cubwolf
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M3CBY

Post by cubwolf »

Some of us like the classics and most of the people who i know who use cb wouldnt be able to work a HF Set :-)

Still amazes me what people will buy on fleabay though
chazwozza
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26CD172

Post by chazwozza »

I quite happy with the religious nutters using muppets if ofcom no longer care who uses 555 all is cool
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

chazwozza wrote:I quite happy with the religious nutters using muppets if ofcom no longer care who uses 555 all is cool
I imagine that seeing as Ofcom are doing away with licencing, they aren't arsed about us sidebanders.

There's a thing...
How bothered are Ofcom about guys and girls on 11m SSB?
I don't know anyone that has had their asses kicked for it (unless they cause TVI, hence why I prefer to operate Static Mobile)?
Anyone know anybody that has been unlucky? - or is it like the old mp3 prosecution debate (a barely noticeable amount getting their collars felt?)
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...
chazwozza
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by chazwozza »

Sweet who cares about muppets then lol
FoulOleRon

Post by FoulOleRon »

Due to a promise to Jon I'm not going to make any comment on this subject AT ALL...... ;)
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

chazwozza wrote:Sweet who cares about muppets then lol
Don't quote me on this one mate, it's merely a theory of mine! :shock:

Anyhow, broadly speaking, found this little discovery:

I read somewhere in a "readily available" UK mag that there was an ongoing problem regarding pirate FM broadcast stations messing with Radio 1 reception in somewhere in London. And the guy writes this column under an "alias"...
Basically, someone complained and Ofcom were all like "We can't do anything about it as we don't have the financial resources".

So, if they can't be bothered resolving a matter like this then we sidebanders, are "small potatoes" (hey, no puns about potato sizes lol) ....:lol:
kc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by kc »

A few months ago my wife became aware that someone may have been pirating her call sign & knew who it was.
She phoned Radio licencing to check that no else had been issued the same call sign or that she had not been given the wrong call sign. They were very helpful & friendly & advised her to phone Ofcom.
After several attempts at making contact with Ofcom, just being sent in a circle & then being cut off she sent them a email, SHE HAS STILL NOT HAD A REPLY !!!!!!!!!!!!
On my advice she emailed the club local to the individual who was using her call on a website & within 3 hours we knew it was probably a mistake & within 48 it had both been fully exsplained explained & delt with.
But it seems anything goes now as complaining to Ofcom is virtually impossible & even if you persevere they don't do anything from our experience.
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

11m SSB (political debate)

Post by Panteneman »

kc wrote:But it seems anything goes now as complaining to Ofcom is virtually impossible & even if you persevere they don't do anything from our experience.
This previous posting from Mr KC here further reiterates my theory.

If they can't be bothered chasing up a legitimate Ham callsign being "pirated" (accidentally or otherwise), then they definetely won't be bothered about 11m SSB operators.

It appears that the "G4 Hair Shirts" out there that I have heard on 2m are correct about "radio going to the dogs".

For example, I sold a DX394 on eBay and the guy came around to pick it up. After a good natter over a brew and showing him that the DX394 was in good working order, it rurns out his son is an M3, and uses more than the 10watts allowed...and he was all "you didn't hear that by the way" (with a nod and a wink).

It looks as if this country will now be as "anyone goes" as the Italians now. Or, I suspect, has done already.

Also, do radio hams still get periodic "spot checks" on their setups? in the days of Buzby / DTI, I remember my Dads G4 chum getting a warning for some RFI caused by a bit of wonky coax on one of the antenna arrays. A "sort or be suspended" order was placed upon him. The next visit, the problem was cured
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

RE: 11m SSB (political debate)

Post by Guzzy »

It's all in a bit of turmoil at the moment.

If you follow the developments in this area you may have noticed that Ofcom have contracted out the work of monitoring the radio spectrum.

The company they are using has the ability to locate your transmission to within a few meters using their array of receivers located in permanent installations around the UK. They don't even need to leave the building to track you down... No bullsh!t, it's really real.

I think the apparent lack of enforcement is more to do with a reallocation of resources into our current state of terrorist paranoia.

Basically, they have better (in their opinion only I hasten to add) things to do with their time and technology. If we weren't in our current 'political' position, I'm sure that this contracted company would be making themselves look good for the powers that be by hunting down and exterminating all the rogue TX'ers out there.

Just wait until they persuade the government they need more money to hunt down all these unconfirmed 'potential' terrorist communication cells...

Jon
chazwozza
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

RE: 11m SSB (political debate)

Post by chazwozza »

Still cant see how they can ban people from using CBs when u dont even need a licence anymore ok 555 may be a little off the beaten trak but hardly worth hunting u down for
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

Re: RE: 11m SSB (political debate)

Post by Guzzy »

chazwozza wrote:Still cant see how they can ban people from using CBs when u dont even need a licence anymore
Good point. It will be interesting (in a bad way for the rest of us I'm sure) to see what happens when somebody starts abusing the local channels after the licence is scrapped officially.
chazwozza wrote:ok 555 may be a little off the beaten trak but hardly worth hunting u down for
You're right of course, but being sensible isn't one of their virtues...
chazwozza
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by chazwozza »

Spose it will keep us on our toes abit but realisticly as long as we dont all go crazy and cause lots of tvi etc they shouldnt bother
Simon26TM003
Regular
Regular

Post by Simon26TM003 »

Tvi thats what Im always paranoid about o.O O.o