new CB, new car, don't want to damage car!!

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

RE: new CB, new car, don

Post by Guzzy »

Not a CB, no.

A number of the amateur radios do, but they cost about ?400 - ?700 new.

You could have a look at the Team Roadcom, it's a very small ultra modern CB designed to fit into the DIN socket (where your car stereo goes). Also, you can buy DIN socket adaptors for a couple of the Midland Alan CB's as well.

Welcome to the forum! :-D
kc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by kc »

I had a conversation today with a fellow amateur who had his radio fitted in exactly the same way as mine.
The non slip mat club 8) 8)
We use that non slip material that is sold every where now, on the dashboard & just lay the radio onto it. This under most situations keeps the radio in place. But extra stability can be gained by placing a stick on air freshener either side, not that you need it.
If you then solder a cigarette lighter socket thing to the power lead & use a mag mount no one would know a radio is used 2 minutes before or after any journey.
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Guzzy »

... and your car smells nice! :-D
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

Why not check out the Midland Alan 42?

Plugs in the cigar lighter (providing your car has one), plumb a decent mag mount antenna into it and away you go!

No dashboard butchery required AT ALL.

Not forgetting it doubles as a portable, and a home base (the latter obviously with suitable PSU and antenna setup).

Check the review out on this very site. "Does what it says on the tin", and then some! :D
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Guzzy »

It's a generic 2.5mm mic and 3.5mm speaker connection. Most 'standard' accessories will fit.

Some of the PMR walkie talkie manufacturers deliberately use their own proprietry connectors with awkward spacing of the pins.

Jon