Selling CHEAP CB Radios?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
simon2710
Banned
Banned

Selling CHEAP CB Radios?

Post by simon2710 »

Anyone know where i can get a decent CB Radio really cheap?
Would prefer handheld one but any will do!

Thanks In Advance! :?:
andyandy

Post by andyandy »

Either try: E-bay OR Thunder Pole

Thunderpole is a great site for CB's and accessories.

It has two handheld CBs the Maycom AH-27 and the Midland 42 Multi but they are both +?99.99 which is quite expensive.
andyandy

Information about Tetra: Read Here and Here
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

Post by Guzzy »

andyandy wrote:
...It has two handheld CBs the Maycom AH-27 and the Midland 42 Multi but they are both +?99.99 which is quite expensive.
That's about average for those radios 'new' (give or take a tenner...)
andyandy

Post by andyandy »

Yeah but when he asked for 'cheap' handhelds i thought they where quite expensive.

Because you could get a good home/mobile CB for the price of these handheld CBs.
andyandy

Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Guzzy »

Second hand maybe. All sorts of bargains can be had on ebay and the likes.

New - that's the price your looking at paying for them.

To be fair to the handhelds, you do get a lot in the box with the radio (soft case, charger, battery cases, cigarette socket connectors, etc..).

I think it's more to do with the fact that mobiles are just so damn dirt cheap! (+?50-+?120?)
andyandy

Post by andyandy »

Yeah i agree.
andyandy

simon2710
Banned
Banned

KK Thanks!

Post by simon2710 »

Thanks because i only have a walkie talkie set and would like a CB as it usually covers more area! I hope i'm not being fussy but i don't really trust Ebay as i hav heard many stories where ppl pay for things and dont get their item but thanks again anyway guys!
andyandy

Post by andyandy »

No problem Simon.
andyandy

kc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by kc »

Some shops have ebay pages. And I know some are selling CB's for VERY competitive prices, so it is possible to deal on ebay without dealing with private sellers.
And yes I too have heard of people who have been ripped off dealing on ebay. But I can only speak as I find & say that during the past few months I have spent several hundred pounds on various bits of amateur radio kit & I have not had a bad experience yet, many good experiences but not one bad one.
But a friend who was dealing with a local guy who deals on ebay got messed about & lost a good deal due to practise that would not have been allowed had it been an ebay deal.
If you want some recommendations for new kit I would say Knights CB are about as good as it gets. I would also recommend Yeoman's Electrical (who deal on ebay.) They are very local to me (walking distance,) & I have used them for years with no problems, plus they sell new CB equipment at very low prices.
So I passed this test that allows me to twiddle with knobs, push buttons & call my self an Advanced !!!!!!!
M0LSX
simon2710
Banned
Banned

Thanks!

Post by simon2710 »

Thanks for all your help and advice......I have just ONE more question(i hope you don't mind answering!):
Does anybody know of any CB radio stores/any being sold in Leeds or the Yorkshire region?
Thanks! :?:
andyandy

Post by andyandy »

Try your local Maplin store. There is bound to be one within the Leeds/Yorkshire region.
They sell alot of radio communications equipment including CBs.

But they are slightly more expensive than other stores. Maplin CB Page.
andyandy

Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Re: KK Thanks!

Post by Guzzy »

simon2710 wrote:... i only have a walkie talkie set and would like a CB as it usually covers more area ...
Hi Simon,

I only just noticed this bit in your previous post.

As strange as this may sound but PMR446 radios work just as well if not better than hand held CB's.

I know that may sound strange but remember that a CB antenna wants to be 18ft long! So sticking a small rubber duck antenna on a hand held and trying to get a signal out is very difficult!

Ranges on PMR446 to PMR446 radios can easily be superior to a hand held to hand held CB. It's only when you stick a decent sized antenna on a CB that it will outperform the PMR446 radio.

If you only want hand held to hand held, you may be better off with PMR446. If you want to be able to communicate with homebase CBers or mobile CBers, then go for the Hand Held CB. It does have a lot more options available (like different antennas, powers supplies, etc...), it's just the Hand Held to Hand Held range is quite poor.