Furthest distance reached in FM on CB

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
cavalier

Post by cavalier »

Far more satisfaction working distance on low power than putting the wellies on.

Remember one Sunday morning back in the late 70's flicking around USB on a stalker 9, heard a S2 R5 calling so returned call, turns out the guy was in Victoria Australia, then the bloody skip faded.

Oh, Italians never counted as a contact, they used so much power you could hear the valves sizzling as they spoke.
Dave {Cavalier} 26-TM-008
rattledrat
Regular
Regular

Post by rattledrat »

reset wrote:Remember one Sunday morning back in the late 70's flicking around USB on a stalker 9, heard a S2 R5 calling so returned call, turns out the guy was in Victoria Australia, then the bloody skip faded.
Is S2 R5 an Australian area or a CB call. :?:
Oh, Italians never counted as a contact, they used so much power you could hear the valves sizzling as they spoke.
They still use valves :?: . The last Italian I spoke to was using Fire Bottles.
chazwozza
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26CD172

Post by chazwozza »

The S2 R5 are just some numbers he made up for a laff
ryan_paul
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ryan_paul »

Dear all

My record is much more modest that some of the examples here but here goes.

Using FM in the early nineties I had a 30 minute conversation with a guy in Derry Northern Ireland and an hour long conversation with a guy in Glasgow Scotland.

My FM rig was a 28/81 Barracuda, 10 watt line amp and a 5 foot magmount antenna on the roof of my car.

On AM midband again in the early nineties is spoke to a fiend of my step fathers by chance he was truck driver and claimed to be in Austria.

My AM rig was a Fannon Fanfair with a 50 watt line amp and a half wave vertical.

Cheers.
cheers and 73

Paul
M3XPR.