Amstrad Mobile Antenna Whip Length.

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Re: Amstrad Mobile Antenna Whip Length.

Post by The Collector »

The ultra-rare (never seen another) Midland homebase ended during the day and I was working. Luckily, I had access to the internet so was waiting with baited breath as they say. Knowing how crap our works internet wass, I put a bid of about £55 in as the timer had about 20 seconds to go. The connection hung and hung...and hung and finally went through about 5 seconds after the auction had ended. NOOOOOO!!!!!!!! I could have cried. Richard on Youtube won it, which is annoying as it should have been mine, all mine I tell you!

I still have flashbacks and nightmares where I wake up in a cold sweat over it :)
ChrisMagpie
Call Sign: 26TM553

Post by ChrisMagpie »

It's a shame they were too late to market with it, or didn't put it into full production, as I would have liked one of those too. The old Maxon 27/81 board is my favourite. It has a nice sound, a nice squelch, and the signal meter works properly! I've never had a homebase rig, but that is the one I would want.
I suppose you could always source one of the American AM ones, change the transformer, and then transplant a Maxcom 30E into it, as that would give you all the right switches :)
I remember watching Richard's video and thinking "there's bits missing off of the board" (I think bits relating to filtering out car ignition interference on the DC input) so some punitive cost-cutting there. Also, you had to run it off the mains, as there was no 13.8v DC input. So if you made your own, you could end up with a *better* radio than the factory original homebase :thumbup:

Or ask Richard if he wants to sell it. We are due some cold weather, but I don't think it'll be cold enough for hell to freeze over, though! :mrgreen:
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I have mentioned how he "stole" it on his comments lol.
I can't run the guy down too much as he buys the odd radio from me ;)
I think I said to put me on top of his list should he ever want to part with it.